'06 Manhattan Dancesport Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Merrylegs, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

This competition starts in one week! Who's going, what are you dancing, and when are you buying me a drink at the bar?

I'm planning to be there for sure on Saturday night and (fingers crossed) Friday night. You'll have 2 chances to buy me a beer.

Seriously, I'm looking at some hotel options for Friday and Saturday night and have seen some wide ranging prices. I'm guessing that the All Suite Studios on W 71st for $79/night probably comes with a free case of foot fungus and some fleas. If anyone has a lead on some cheap-o, but clean and safe, accomodations please let me know. I'm totally into sharing a room with a couple of people to keep costs down. Since I don't plan to be in the room very much at all I don't care if we're squeezed in.

Good luck to all competitors.

Peace out.
    1 person likes this.
  2. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

We will be there, hope to see you there. dancing on Sat :) (will have my gown for sale too and will be wearing it :) )
    if I find you early enough after the event, wouldn't mind getting some wine (don't like beer)
  3. alemana

alemana New Member

i had to scratch.
  4. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

interesting word choice in light of Michelle's fear...
  5. alemana

alemana New Member

i'm really upset about it. it's my hometown comp and the first ballroom comp i ever spectated. oh well. what can you do.
  6. Merrylegs

Well, when I did a search on sidestep.com (Wall Street Journal recommended, btw) everything from a hostel for $27/night to the Ritz for $550/night came up. I would never turn the light off in a room that cost $27/night, lordy!

Anyway, back to talking about the comp....

7. Merrylegs

I'm so sorry. This stinks.

8. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I actually was at a hostel for the first several days in NY. It wasn't all that bad, though it was $29/night.
  9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

will be there
    dancing saturday
  10. Egoist

Egoist Member

Ditto
    1 person likes this.
  11. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

Tritto.
    1 person likes this.
  12. alemana

alemana New Member

i think i may have to stop reading this thread, it's excruciating.
  13. skwiggy

skwiggy Well-Known Member

alemana, why did you have to scratch?
  14. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

I'll be there spectating. Probably Fri., Sat. and Sun. evenings. Can't wait. Haven't seen Max and Yulia dance in a long time !
  15. Merrylegs

I'm guessing that this situation was not by your own choice. I'm sure it totally sucks. Don't feel like you have to talk about it here.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm not dancing at this comp. because I have a bulging disk in my lower back and haven't had a lesson since March. I walked in to Yankee Classic competition last week and got tears in my eyes, I miss dancing very much.

There now. Feel better?

16. alemana

alemana New Member

yes, actually. i shouldn't complain - it could be worse, i could be injured.

not dancing because coach had a conflict. not with the time we were supposed to dance, but with practice time ahead of the comp. like, every single minute.
  17. Laura

Laura New Member

OUCH Michelle, so sorry to hear about your back.
    1 person likes this.
  18. Merrylegs

Thanks. It's pretty much a frickin' nightmare. I can't lift anything, I can't do anything. I just sit on my couch watching cable and drinking vodka tonics. I wonder where those extra 10 pounds came from....?

19. alemana

alemana New Member

good thing there's the caveat of your Bad Back, or i'd have to take you to the gym!!
  20. Merrylegs

This would have been a good thing to do but I have a funny feeling that I'd be checking out some NYC hospitals right afterwards!