'06 Manhattan Dancesport Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Merrylegs, Jun 22, 2006.

1. swan

swan Member

Where should Erminio place, for those who're in the audience? Judging from Blackpool, he could have been placed lower than Linus/Ieva and Giampiero/Anastasia.

But since I was not there to watch myself, I would not know how the final actually looked comparing these couples. Anyone care to give a report, like what Alemana did for Pro Rhythm? :)

2 people like this.
  2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear more about the open amateur events, if anyone has the time to report on those events.

How did the DF-packed open amateur standard go? How was the latin?

:) ChaChaMama

1 person likes this.
  3. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

I can only report on the Open Standard since I danced it in the first round and was there to watch the quarterfinal through final. It was extremely competitive. Save for a few missing couples, it was probably filled with US Nationals finalists and semifinalists of the upcoming USA Dance Nationals. There was one Canadian couple in the mix (they placed 4th).

As for placements: I thought that Radek and Paulina N. shouldn't have been in the final. I thought the Wilders had a much better night and should have been 6th. I thought Anna and Andrei should have placed higher (although I might be biased since they are one of my faves), maybe 3rd or 4th instead of 5th. I thought the Canadian couple, Richard and Claire, should have been below 4th as he had some wonky head positions at times. Pasha and Inna are just a marvel of imrpovement: they get better everytime I see them and the way they danced on Saturday night (compared to the way Craig and Katya, the winnders, danced), I thought it was possible that they could take dances, if not the whole event, away from the winners. Craig and Katya did not have the best night, IMO. His face just lacked the usual joy with which he dances, their dancing was a bit bumpy and not inspiring. It almost looked like either one or both of them wasn't feeling well or something... Ronen and Kristina looked very good (she's improved a lot since MAC when I saw them last) and probably deserved their 3rd place (although I'd place them below Andrei and Anna)...

All in all, amazing dancing in this event last Saturday!

4. LXC

LXC New Member

glad to see pasha and inna's result. i'm a big fan. can't wait to see them at nationals.

the pro standard line-up is amazing. i should have gone there to watch since i'm still not sure if i can make to either embassy or usdsc. too late now

1 person likes this.
  5. dandy

dandy New Member

I believe Katya had a serious injury on the nite, this probably caused some problems for them and I think it showed in Craigs face. All credit to them for competing and winning.

6. alemana

alemana New Member

technique isn't the differentiator here - that's a typical but (imho) naive argument. plenty of folks at the top of their divisions are not the best technicians in their division. couples with equivalent technique but divergent presentation, connectedness, etc etc can be miles apart in marks.

for E's part he dances circles around T every single comp, and dances every step better. i had to look away from T at a couple points in sheer embarassment. and joanna, while not a blackpool semifinalist or whatever, is european-trained and it definitely shows in a field where the quality of the ladies is exceedingly varying.

but it's not about technique. it is about the inertia of rankings, about the importance of politics and pro-am, and about the reticence of certain parts of the judging establishment to take a stand on the direction of a new style. there is also a small chorus, quieter lately, of people who claim that E's showmanship sometimes crosses the line into "hamming" and that he needs to dance more with his partner. i think some progress has been made there with Joanna, who matches his intensity (and therefore competes with him for your eye.) for my money i'd rather watch two hamming supernovas than two nonchalant pretenders.

2 people like this.
  7. Nik

Nik Member

^^^ Very good statement!

Does anyone know how you can view the marks from this comp?

8. alemana

alemana New Member

(thanks.)

9. HaveDanceFever

HaveDanceFever New Member

This may be a compeling point of view but totally wrong. Many times the audience goes for the more showy or charimsatic or fast couple. Judges mark things differently, and everyone cries politics. Or they say the judges are being old-fahioned and should get more with it. Technique does matter. It is more than just how you place your feet. Emanuel still dances wildly, even though he is getting better. Who knows, may be he will improve enough to deserve a better placement, but not yet. There is still a hectic quality to his dancing. Being active and livley is one thing. Being not in total control of his weight is another. Balance between the partners is another important thing. It's common for a more balnced couple to win against a couple where the woman is much better than the man or the other way around. Tony and Elena have that balance, becuase each one has many years of experience. Emanuel still doesn't have the solidness to his dancing like his parnter.

1 person likes this.
  10. dancesportgirl21

dancesportgirl21 New Member

But this brings back the arguement of whether Tony and Elena are truly dancing rhythm, or whether they are dancing latin to the rhythm dances. The expression, leg usage and other technique making it rhythm, and characterization of each dance is just as important. Emannuel and Joanna have that quality, and in my opinion are sooo exciting (the most exciting) to watch! :D (I've never seen Tony and Elena dance in person though- so I will let you know when I can fully form that opinion of who is better;) )

11. bailarín

bailarín New Member

Inertia is a key element here. Things other than talent, technique, and improvement that will hasten overcoming inertia include Emmanuel's likeability and Tony's 'nonchalance' - I like your choice of word. Not that Tony's a bad guy, but at some point confidence can cross a threshold with some.

1 person likes this.
  12. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

She was dancing on a broken right foot. Pretty scary of you ask me. I noticed something a bit off and was informed of her injury... but the person telling me did not know which foot. All it took was a moment of serious scrutiny to see which foot she was favoring. I am way impressed with them for dancing as well as they did. I would have been a disaster.

1 person likes this.
  13. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I think we should not be so quick to claim that we know the "way of the judges". It is pretty bold for people here to make statements about the whys and the whats that make up a judges mind.

Or perhaps I am wrong...maybe someone here actually is a world class judge sharing their vast wealth of hard won and accumulated knowledge but is simply hidding behind the facade of a local am. competitor. :D

14. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Larinda: that totally explains it! Because I am usually a huge fan of theirs and Saturday I saw that something was off. A broken foot is really scary though! I am so impressed with them now that I know just how wrong things were and how little (facial expression and unusual bumpiness is all I saw) it showed. And it now explains why Craig was so excited to win; you'd think he would expect it in that field (Abashkin missing and all) but I see now that maybe he didn't. Good for them for going for it. I just hope they didn't cause permanent damage by doing that...

15. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

I love Craig and Katya's dancing and I'm sure that there must have been a good reason but....I don't think dancing on a broken foot is a good thing. I hope this does not become something that is expected by trainers/coaches and I hope her foot heels correctly and they will continue to amaze us with their dancing.

16. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

by the way, there was a beautiful American Smooth couple - Japanese, from PHiladelphia. Maybe you know them, they were so lovely.
    Does anyone care to comment about Giampiero and Anastasia, what you saw, what was wrong, whether she can make it as his partner?
    Linas and Ieva took Viennese and Quickstep from Erminio and Liene.

17. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

for chris

I bet for the xtra $ 2 they gave you a bed ? right ?

18. tangotime

tangotime Well-Known Member

Judging

Am a championship adjudicator ( have been down this road on another post .) finals , in a nutshell , are always easier in most respects, to judge, because of " time ". Earlier rounds , with large entries, are , for obvious reasons, more demanding, and one needs to be very alert as to what is happening thru out the performances . And-- remember-- all judging is subjective to some degree , sometimes more than others and as situations dictate .

19. alemana

alemana New Member

i'm still reeling from the continued use of the Pu$$iecat (sic) Dolls' "Dontcha" as a RUMBA in pro rhythm rounds. this happened again at Manhattan and i just had a CONNIPTION in the stands. i think if that song came on for me to dance rumba to i would have to be physically restrained.

1 person likes this.
  20. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Last year you could only see them at the competition.. they weren't available online... so probably same story this time.. if you want to know how may marks you got, pm me.. (I only know you us and 2 other couples though)