'06 Manhattan Dancesport Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Merrylegs, Jun 22, 2006.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

exactly my point.

2. alemana

alemana New Member

but god does Inna look FIERCE in those photos. she's got champion written all over her. not sure they will get there, but her return with *that* guy and in *that* form definitely puts her right back into the very top.

3. gingerbread

gingerbread Member

speaking of judges' marks, and I have not seen them, how did Giampiero and Anastasia end up in 5th place? I watched them and that is definitely not where I would have placed them. He is such a wonderful dancer.

4. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I didn't see the comp, but have been hearing that he had a bad night... but again, didn't see the pro events

5. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

6. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

So far Thursday and Friday is up. Still waiting for Sat

7. Natalka

Natalka Member

1 person likes this.
  8. Natalka

Natalka Member

Thanks mamboqueen!
    Yeah, Danielle dyed her hair dark brown, so she did look different.

9. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Welcome to Dance Forums, Gary!

10. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Saturday afternoon is up now on the ParkWest website.

11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

12. samb2agirl

samb2agirl New Member

You are so right! She looks great, but the boy looks a little young in those pictures. Almost like an amateur dancing with a seasoned pro. Did the age appearance strike anyone adversely?

13. Roadrunner

Roadrunner New Member

I had this EXACT same reaction when I saw them dance for the first time in Atlanta - I couldn't help but feel like I was watching a pro/am event. It had nothing to do with her partner's skill level, but just because he looks so young.

14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure about this... do you mean after the whole competiton weekend?

Because I see marks all the time after awards are given for my students. And for the pro events right after awards as well.

In fact many years ago there was a scrutineer named Jeffery (wonder what ever happened to him) and he would always have printed out extra copies and hand them out to us as we walked by the dais (sp) right after the awards.

So we (pro and pro-am) have never had to wait for the whole competition weekend to be over.

15. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Actually there are two rules that sort of conflict in the case of multi-session competitions.

III.D.13 Says only the COJ and Scruitineer may have access to the marks before "the end of the competition"

but then

III.D.14 Says that marks have to be posted "immediately" after results and prizes.

It would seem that common practice is to substitue the end of the session or event block for the end of the competition - which in the case of multi-day comeptitions seems necessary, though it doesn't give judges the chance to make a quick escape.

16. Laura

Laura New Member

I wonder if there is overloading of terms going on here. I always read the first rule to mean that no one sees the marks during a single competition (e.g., Youth Latin, and all its heats and rounds needed to determine a final and the placings in the final) while it is still going on. But, after the contest is concluded and results have been announced, then they become available.

17. Chris Stratton

Laura, in practical terms I think you are right, however pretty much every where else in the rulebook a multi-day event (or even consecutive events in the same venue) is declared to constitute a single competition. For example, place out of prechamp with a champ result on Saturday, you can still compete prechamp on Sunday.

18. Laura

Laura New Member

The other question is what does "have access to" mean? Maybe the rule is saying that no one touches the judge's mark sheets, the scrutineer calculation sheet/computer, other than (the runners,) the scrutineer, and the COJ. When someone sees a copy of the marks after the conclusion of their event, it's just a copy, they don't have access to the raw data sheets etc.

19. Chris Stratton

The one practical question that might remain is if it's permissable to post detailed recall sheets while an event is ongoing.

20. Laura

Laura New Member

That's something I've never seen, and it would seem to me that the rules as I understand them keep that from happening. It's one thing to list the numbers of the recalled couples (you have to or else the comp can't happen), and another thing to show what judges are recalling who while that particular competitive event is still going on. The recall sheets, of course, go up after the results are announced.