'06 Manhattan Dancesport Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Merrylegs, Jun 22, 2006.

1. alemana

alemana New Member

2. contracheck

contracheck New Member

Your message is too cryptic. What are these interestiung names. Please spell them out.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How do you see the full list of entrants in each event, as opposed to just your own heats?
  4. callen

callen New Member

Too bad I can't make it. :( It's so close, too.

Who's dancing amateur smooth? I saw neither Porfirio nor DancerForLife. Elona and I won't be here. I didn't see Nels and Theresa on the list, nor did I see Hans and Keynes. That rules out most the top couples from the last two years.

Christopher
    2 people like this.
  5. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

:( you will be missed
    1 person likes this.
  6. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

If anyone needs rooms at the Brooklyn Marriott, I cancelled my reservation for Wednesday and Thursday nights. I was supposed to dance on Thursday, but that won't be happening.
    2 people like this.
  7. bluetango

bluetango New Member

My mistake, seems the field is not so strong in the amateur smooth. However, am latin/standard, and pro latin/standard are fielding many of the top names in the country, as is pro rhythm.
  8. bailarín

bailarín New Member

I feel as though I am seeing a general improvement in the quality and quantity of pro rhythm - is it my imagination or is it real?
  9. alemana

alemana New Member

absolutely.
  10. bluetango

bluetango New Member

I definitely agree. The top dancers in the field are really starting to push the envelope (ie tony&elena, emmanuel&joanna), and there is some major young rising talent in the ranks as well (matt&karen - what an explosive duo).

I think it all boils down to quality. The quality of Rhythm is improving at a tremendous pace. However, with such a strong international style presence still in the US, Rhythm is starting to duplicate the "look" of international latin - and I'm not sure if that is a good thing.

Its kind of what I was saying in another post about the "look". If you look very quickly at a couple (while dancing), can you tell if they are rhythm or latin dancers? I'm not talking about recognizing obviously american or international steps, I'm just talking about the way the couple moves. Does rhythm have its own unique look? I'm not sure, I'm not a expert....
  11. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Well, Tony and Elena have both competed in Pro Latin. So did Inna. And her current partner is from Russia so he must be trained in Latin. Joanna competed in Amateur Latin in Poland. Matt and Karen also did Amateur Latin. No wonder people think Rhythm looks like Latin.
  12. alemana

alemana New Member

i think the impression bob and julia made - rhythm is a serious style, and it's its own style - is bearing some exciting fruit now. (sidenote: a couple of pro friends who saw them do a show recently said that, even a year into their retirement, they outdanced all the rhythm and most of the latin pros competing at the event by a very wide margin.)

there's a little bit of a battle going on in the field, stylistically - will things move more in a latin direction, or more in a rhythm direction? emmanuel and joanna represent the best fusion of the two, i think, and when they unseat tony and elena (an inevitability, and soon) i think that will help move things in the right direction even further.
  13. alemana

alemana New Member

all of that said, i hope the entire cluster of ny/nj rhythm pros show for Manhattan. it should make for a very good event if they do. lots of 'em are listed, we'll see if they show.
  14. bailarín

bailarín New Member

I agree. Bob and Julia had a style. They worked it and set themselves apart (and for Bob to outdance current pros is even more impressive - he's in his 40s at least?). Emmanuel and Joanna are next. Who will be after them?
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Which one? Imagination or real?
  16. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

Just posted the first photos from Manhattan.Cheers chris
  17. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Wow, didn't realize it already started today.. Good luck to everyone dancing, and thank you Chris.
  18. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Good luck to everyone dancing. Especially Mambo Queen! She deserves it after the hell week she's had.

See everyone this weekend. Not sure when exactly, still working on it.
  19. chrisjohnston

Just posted some photos from morning session.Will put results and names to photos as soon as I get a break.Cheers chris
  20. chrisjohnston

All results from the Pro-am through 9.pm to-night are now posted.Cheers Chris