'06 Manhattan Dancesport Championships

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Merrylegs, Jun 22, 2006.

1. chrisjohnston

chrisjohnston Well-Known Member

Just put all the results for Thursday up.Will add the names sometime to-morrow as I am running the Pro-am party at the moment.Cheers Chris

2. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Report:

This comp was probably the most well-attended one that I've been to (and only $25 to get in for me; a bargain!). There were MANY quarterfinals for pro/ams. I made it out of mine, but only into the semi-final. There were some pretty big hitters on the floor...and this is the first time I've actually been in such crowded conditions (funny thing...there was actually more room to dance around the periphery, but everyone seemed to want to be in the middle...).

The music was very good (finally heard the jive version of Hafanana, and they played the samba version, too). The lighting was also good.

The house was pretty packed for the entire time I was there.

The comp, by the time I got to dancing, was running behind by about 30 minutes, which later extended to about an hour. Gary M. said over the pa system that next year he would probably be moving smooth to Wednesday night. Latin really needed the whole day to itself.

I saw Monica Wong dance, and I have to say, she was very good. I would never have guessed she was in her 60's. Yeah, I know...money....but still...she looked very good.

I am hoping to go tonight (it depends on how my kids are holding up at their grandmother's -- I must have had 15 voicemails from my daughter yesterday asking me to get her! Ack!).

Anyway, I thought this comp was great and hope to be back next year.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well I felt like leaving you 15 voicemails;) ...glad you danced well...come back soon...

4. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

I did leave her 15 voicemails. I wanted up to the minute details and had to wait until 8:30 to get any word on what was happening down there.

BTW, a big congrats to Mambo Queen! It's a tough field, you did very well.

Michelle

5. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a program? how many rounds are expected in Am Std?

6. LXC

LXC New Member

congrats, MQ! and best of luck, kat

7. Katarzyna

Thank you LXC! Don't want to repeat, but I hope someone can answer :
    Does anyone have a program? how many rounds are expected in Am Std?

8. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

I see 27 couples in Am Standard Championship. First round is listed at 9:05 pm. Give me a sec and I'll list the names.

9. Katarzyna

THANK YOU!!!!

10. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Program says: First round at 9:05; then the first round open pro (Latin); then the quarter final of the open am standard (at 9:59 pm).

11. Katarzyna

Thank you again, that's great :) I hope most people will show up so they can run it as first round...

12. alemana

alemana New Member

*writhing in agony*

13. DancingJools

DancingJools Member

Couples listed for Open Am Standard (I'll just put the leaders' names):
    1- Andrzej Bator
    2- Andrew Dong
    3- Evgeniy Galkin
    4- Joseph Huesmann and Stacey Liptz (yay)
    5- Andrey Klinchick
    6- Radek Krysztofiak
    7- Francis La Freniere
    8- Benjamin Lin
    9- Xingmin Lu
    10- Brian Lundell
    11- Daniel Markowski
    12- Kamil Nieroda
    13- Rz O
    14- Pasha Pashkov
    15- Nikolai Pilipenchuk
    16- Evan Samek
    17- Craig Shaw
    18- Max Sinitsa
    19- Alex Spencer & Katarzyna Herink (yay)
    20- Thomas Tien
    21- Richard Tonizzo
    22- Jason Turner
    23- Miguel Valle
    24- Russ Wilder
    25- Ronen Zinshtein

Sorry, they're actually 25, not 27.

14. Laura

Laura New Member

Wow, I counted at least four couples with DFer's in them :) Have fun tonight everyone!

1 person likes this.
  15. Katarzyna

:D
    too bad, I really hope it will still be a 1st round.. hope there are some write ins since they planned for 1st round.. I think some people didn't enter in time.. I hope so...

16. Katarzyna

I'm counting 7 :)

17. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Wow - I don't know who all 7 of the df'ers are, but knock 'em dead! Good luck...;)

18. Katarzyna

7 couples.. about 10 individuals :cool:

19. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

That would be tomorrow night but thank you:) I think we'll manage...

20. Merrylegs

Merrylegs Well-Known Member

Yep, me too. I should have NEVER looked at the Smooth photos from yesterday. I'm really not handling not being able to dance, it's a lot harder than I thought it would be. I also don't know when I'll be able to return to dancing. My coach danced with a whole lot of new students at this comp and I'm feeling very left out. I know it's isn't his fault or the other students' but I'm having a pity party for myself right now.

I'm also not coming to NYC this weekend. My back is hurting too much to travel and it's just too difficult to watch everyone doing what I should be doing.

I'll have to catch up with you all another time.

Michelle