10 Commandments for Leaders

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

So there was a thread about the 10 commandments by Bobbie Irvine which seemed to be about the follower's roll in ballroom dancing. What might the 10 Commandments for Leaders look like?

I say we get together the best ones and make an Infographic for Facebook! What do you say? Let's try to limit the actual rule to about 10-12 words, but then can still elaborate in the post.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

1. Thou shalt not step on the lady's feet : )

3. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

1a. Thou ladies shalt not leave your feet in the way to be stepped on if the leader leads properly. :p

jiwinco and Ailuene like this.
  4. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Thou shalt not wrangle thy (thine? my older English skills are nonexistent) lady.

5. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

2. Continued lessons in leading from a qualified teacher are needed for you to even begin to entertain the idea. Otherwise, you need to do a set routine so the lady has some hope of doing this great feat sometimes referred to as "following".

or the short version...

So called "leading" requires lessons.

6. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Thou shalt not run thy lady into a wall. Or other couple.

chomsky, Purr, Sania and 3 others like this.
  7. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

To sum things up - first, do no harm.

Sania, middy, 5678dance and 4 others like this.
  8. Mengu

Mengu Active Member

To guide and suggest, not to enforce or restrict
    To listen to and interpret the music
    To navigate the floor
    To present, not to show off
    To provide a breathing frame
    To provide power, but not overrun
    To be clear
    To be inspiring

I realize some of these bleed into the follower's commandments, but it's a two way street.

To treat the lady as a lady ought to be treated, needs to be in there somewhere, but I can't find the right words for it.

Thinking about it more, a set of X commandments that encompass both roles might be a better place to start, and then sprinkle a few extras for each role. After all both partners are responsible, for movement, inspiring each other, interpreting music, etc.

chomsky, dlliba10 and IndyLady like this.
  9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Be gracious at all times.

chomsky, j_alexandra and IndyLady like this.
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think we should also do this for male pro am teachers...oh the fun of it...ahem...back on topic; leads in general

have some respect for the fact that only one of us knows what you are doing...
    don't be insulted if we guessed wrong
    keep your arms connected to your center

Sania likes this.
  11. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

Follow what you led.

j_alexandra likes this.
  12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I am the lady, thy follower; thy jobs are timing, direction, step, and power, so thou canst move me.
    Honor thy posture and thy tempo.

Purr and Sania like this.
  13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

At most. :p

14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

And a mindset.

15. Dr Dance

Dr Dance Well-Known Member

There is NO GUESSING when following... only reacting.

16. clumsy fellow

clumsy fellow Active Member

Thou shall stand like a man.

17. fascination

you are mistaken//imo...reacting requires me to interprete/guess what you are doing...I may or may not react properly depending upon what I am guessing you are trying to do...and how well I do that depends upon how good your lead is...if it is good I will have a better chance of simply reacting well...if it is poor I may react appropriately to what you led but you may not even realize it because you may have sent me a message that had nothing to do with what you intended...which is why, lots of the time, I have to guess

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
    Purr, dancelvr and Sania like this.
  18. fascination

so, in that sense, it is a guess...b/c not everything a lead suggests is what he meant to suggest

19. fascination

don't act like you know more about the ladies' role than the lady unless you are a pro or your level is well above hers...even then, procede with caution

20. fascination

do not manhandle...I can move myself thank you very much...and if I can't ...well it probably still isn't your job and won't turn out well

stash, dancelvr and middy like this.