10 Commandments for Leaders

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DanceMentor, Oct 22, 2013.

1. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

A newbie lead creates a promenade by cranking the lady with his arms. Instead of initiating the promenade with his body and then following through with his hands and lower arms. I imagine your promenades are more like this than that.

2. middy

middy Well-Known Member

I'd say your arms can help transmit the message, but the message (the lead) comes from your body. Does that even make any sense? I don't know.

stash likes this.
  3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Please know that I can only streatch so far. I am strange and only 5'1, but I'm going to hazzard a guess that most girls, notice I say most, are shorter than you. Please make the appropriate actions applicable to your height, and level your dance career (I don't expect newbies to do this), to make the frame more comfortable for me. Cuz I'm letting you know, my spice ain't getting any longer and time soon.

4. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I prefer to think of the hands. Sure, they are attached to the arms, but using the word "arms" can bring about a far different interpretation. Ex. are you changing at the shoulder joint?

5. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

I like it that you find all these...it's fun!

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You are changing at all joints!

7. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Are there certain joints that have a tendency to move where they shouldn't? (ex. chicken wing)

8. Hedwaite

Hedwaite Well-Known Member

If someone tells you "no", don't "complain" about it to everyone else BUT her. She'll find out, and break a foot off in your bum.

vulgar language removed
    twice

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2014
    Purr likes this.
  9. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

All joints should move a little, e.g. shoulders, elbows, wrists. Some joints should move a lot, e.g. spine, hips, knees, ankles.

j_alexandra likes this.
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Refugee from whining thread?

11. snapdancer

snapdancer Active Member

As a lead, I have a lot to keep track of, and as a social dancer interacting with a lot of follows, all the repertoires of all the individual follows goes into the overflow.

That said, I'm not out to make my follows feel like idiots. It's social dancing, not the reality show "Stump your Follow". I'll check out a follow with simpler moves, and if I get a sense she can handle it I'll throw some more involved figures at her. If she can't, I'll back off.

For example, Chase Turns are typically taught at the social bronze level. But if my follow doesn't chase me when I try it, I won't throw a second chase at her -- instead I'll pick her back up and lead something else.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yep...this is a HUGE peeve of mine...we have a few local guys who apparently used to dance open latin pro/am...and they are such jerks that all they will do is insist upon dancing open latin for cha and ru...dude, I dance gold and am the only woman here who even has a clue of what the hell to do with you...why?....stop that...right now...it is awful for the women they ask who have no freaking idea what to do with them

Purr likes this.
  13. Terpsichorean Clod

Terpsichorean Clod Moderator

When I lead something and fail visibly, I feel like a pretty big fool.

chomsky likes this.
  14. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I have often danced with arms down by the sides. If you want to understand what it feels like to lead/follow a body lead, first try dropping lady's right/man's left arms and dancing with only the one side, then try dropping both and dancing with body connection only. It's *revealing.*

Purr, chomsky and dancelvr like this.
  15. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Yep......this.

nikkitta and j_alexandra like this.
  16. chomsky

it's not one of the dancers that fails. it's the couple, after all the couple is the unit not the individual. Couldn't agree with you more. I feel the same when I lead something I shouldn't have and make a fool of us.the hardest thing for me is avoiding to repeat it in order to make it right.

17. chomsky

nice exercise.

18. Warren J. Dew

Warren J. Dew Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

He may call that right shoulder "using arms to lead". I call it a chicken wing.