10-dancers' (or 9 dancers') costumes

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Kitty, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I heard from many people that it is good if judges don't remember you from style to style, or don't recognize you, after you change costumes. Becuase you don't want them to carry over their opinion (what if it is bad!) from one style to another. That includes changing costumes between standard and smooth.

And today I heard from a dancer, who was a very successful 10-dancer (representative at world championships for her country in 10-dance) that it is good if costumes (latin and standard) match in color or somehow in style, so that judges can recognize you as the same couple in the two styles.

What does everyone think?

Match costumes? Don't match costumes?

2. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure it is necessary, fun maybe, but not necessary.

3. Kitty

Kitty New Member

but not bad either, right?

cause many people say it is bad if you can be recognized between styles.

4. Larinda McRaven

I am not sure I understand why being recognized is bad. I think judges would like to see a competitor that is dedicated enough to participate in several styles.

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

lots of people have this opinion actually. They say it is bad because what if you messed up, or they just don't like you, in one of the styles. Then it might affect your placings in other styles. I'm not sure I agree with this myself... but lots of people think that.

6. Larinda McRaven

If they "don't like you" in one style they are going to recognize you in another style regardless of the color of your costume.

7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Good point Larinda. I find that these sort of head games are played by many in all walks of life. For instance, the odd things some sports players do before a game. I would say go with what works for you, what makes you feel better.

8. tasche

tasche New Member

I dont think judges are as fickle as other ppl seem to make them be. It seems to be if your a 10 dance ina 10 dance event that you would want some continuity between your stadard and latin or smooth and rythmn. To show that you have developed a personal style that carries over from one dance to another. It would be weird be totally unrecogizable between rounds.

Besides if the theory is dont be recogizable in cas eyou mess up in one then I ask isn't the point in 10 dance to be good at bothso ifyou mess up n one you aren't going to win anyways so you might as well match. Also what if your good dont you want that to carry over?

9. Kitty

Kitty New Member

I guess having a different look for each style is supposed to make judges look at you with fresh eyes...

I don't neccessarily agree, since I don't believe that judges wouldn't recognize you regardless of the costume.

Most competitors I know think changing the look completely between styles is important. Good to know that I'm not the only one with a different opinion.

10. tasche

tasche New Member

Ballroom is such a small community sometimes that the idea that the judges wouldn't recognize you in diff styles implies that the judges are half blind which is not a good thing!

As a designer I would want my costumes for 10 dance to correlate in some way to each other to have a transcending theme. I might not do this if I just happened to do 2 styles and wasn't doing a 9/10 dance event though

11. Kitty

Kitty New Member

Yeah, I'm at least a couple years away from doing 10-dance... this was an abstract question, just to explore the idea of whether it is important to complitely change the look between styles (most people who believe into changing look thing have complitely different gowns for smooth and standard)

12. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

It's funny that you're mentioning this. I'm doing a scholarship on Friday night and then the single dances on Saturday, and I'm thinking if I bomb on Friday night, I'll change my dress and maybe my hair color *LOL* I'm sure they'll figure it out. Hopefully, they kind of forget what people (especially at my level) do from one night to the next unless it's really something they *can't* forget!

13. tasche

tasche New Member

Well wouldn't they be more impressed if you bomb and then do well the next day.

14. Laura

Laura New Member

Unless you already have all your other ducks in a line a dress isn't going to make you or break you. A couple of years ago I was at the California Star Ball and watched a couple dance Pre-Champ Standard. They were really beautiful dancers, with very clean technique, nice body line, and good timing. However, the guy didn't have on a tailsuit and woman was wearing a really old-style dress with a pleated skirt and black shoes. It didn't matter. They still came either first or second in the event, and it had started in a quarter final. I think they actually won, but this was a couple of years ago so my memory is hazy.

Yes, the look is very important, the the higher up you go in the competitive levels the more important it is, but until you've reached a level where everyone's dancing is clean and beautiful it is your dancing that will make more of a difference than your outfit. I've seen couples win where the woman's dress was like six inches too short. I came second in Novice-level event where my partner was one of two guys not in a tail suit and I was the only woman not in a ball gown.

I'm not saying you should stint on your grooming. Always make the best effort you can with the resources you have, but don't get all crazy over it. If you bomb you bomb and changing your dress isn't going to change your dancing. It might change your attitude, which can be a big help when things really go wrong, but I really think the judges who judge a lot are smart about wardrobe games. After all, they were all competitors themselves at one point so they know the tricks, too.

I like the idea of 10 dancer costumes carrying a theme from one style to the next. It makes the whole thing seem like more of a unified competition.

15. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Tasche - short answer is yes. But I guess a little sliver of me thinks they might have a pre-disposed opinion before you start....especially given the time they have to check each couple out.

Laura -- I didn't really mean that the dress would help me look better in the eyes of the judges; I meant that maybe they'd be more likely to forgot a "not so good" performance if the person wasn't wearing the same dress the next time around.

16. delamusica

delamusica Active Member

I don't usually do 10-dance events (due to having seperate partners for standard and latin), but I like my two costumes to have similar color schemes . . . but that's just so I don't have to deal with two sets of makeup - wouldn't want to change costumes and then realize that my whore-red lipstick from my latin outfit was clashing with my peach-toned standard gown . . . maybe I'm just lazy, but it's easier! :)

17. DancePoet

DancePoet New Member

Hopefully the judges won't let one bad mistake in a specific dance style color thier scores in the other styles. If they are doing this, then I'd say they shouldn't be judging.

Since dance competitions seem to be about technique, creativity, and beauty, I would say as long as the costumes make a person feel good about themselves whatever works for you is ok. However, I do like the idea of using a theme across a 10 or 9 dance competition with both the leader and follower.

18. sunderi

sunderi New Member

I just do neutral eye makeup for both, and change my lipstick (because, yeah, my orange lipstick for my rhythm dress wouldn't go with my turquoise smooth dress ;) ).

19. Larinda McRaven

Okay, here is an expert answer. Straight from Marianne Nicole. I asked her about this topic tonight and this is the reply I got.

If you are a brand new couple and are basically unknown, then having a sort of theme might help the judges identify you, and help you get noticed. Not that you wouldn't be noticed anyway. She said she can identify a couple in a different style even if she doesn't know them or have even never seen them before. It may take her a dance or two, but she will figure it out, regardless of costume.

If you are a known couple or have fair bit of experience in one style but are new to 10-Dance, then you really don't need a gimick to get noticed.

So if you feel you are new enough and need an extra boost to get seen, then this is a viable option. But otherwise it is not necessary.

Also, what about the guy? You can't really dramatically change them. They look pretty much the dame no matter what.

So that was the ASK THE EXPERTS answer. Thanks to Marianne Nicole.

In addition I think there is no way to hide even if you change your costume, make-up, and hair. You will be seen by the judges, as it is their job - and that is why you are there anyway.

Now someone mentioned earlier about keeping colors similar to avoid having to change make-up between rounds. That is fine, but realize that you are doing it to make-up your life simpler, not to help or fool the judges about who you are.

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The dame? The doll? The broad? The skirt? ;)