14 yr. old prodigy....

Discussion in 'Videos' started by barrefly, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Laura

Laura New Member

Awesome -- I've been wanting to see that show, missed it the last time I was in London, now should really catch it in NYC. Thanks for the info!
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

let me repeat anyhow...that you are most welcome here and your insight is valuable...just please bear in mind my thought on the matter please
  3. Laura

Laura New Member

Another thing I'd like to point out here is that barrefly, you are comparing what Junior competitors are doing (14 year olds) against what adult world champions are doing (Michael & Joanna). That is really an apples-to-oranges comparison.

And it's not all about "tricks." Just because someone can do a head snap or double spin or whatever doesn't make them a better dancer in a competitive sense. Yes, artistic interpretation and musicality are rewarded, but the fundamental technique and characterization of the dance has to be there first.

By the way, there's a term in dancesport circles for people who dance too many tricks without first fully addressing the foundation technique and characterization: they say the couple is dancing "flash and trash." Dancesport judging is conservative in that respect, they want to see clear technique and expression of the elements of the dance itself first, and then see that technique and expression inform and support creativity and innovation on top of that. Clean technique showing the rhythms and characteristic shapes and patterns of the dance are taught first, which is why you don't see 14-year-olds doing things that people 10-15 years further along in their dance training and experience are doing.
  4. Josh

Josh Active Member

You will do your daughter a great disservice by having this type of attitude. Why is your mind not at ease? Give her a chance to grow into it a little bit, and please, don't add pressure to her to "be the best" for the purpose of "putting your mind at ease."

I would seriously encourage you to take up some kind of dancing yourself. People not involved in anything (especially armchair quarterbacks watching sports) have a very easy time coaching from the sidelines, thinking how easy it must be to hit a ball or catch a pass or whatever, when they are in no way involved and have no idea of the pressures present in performing in sports (or in this case, dance). Give it a try, and your perspective may change for the better.
  5. Josh

Josh Active Member

Hmm, I can only imagine the conflict going on inside your head then if you were to read this post.