15 Truths About Being a Professional Dancer

Discussion in 'Dance Articles' started by SDsalsaguy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

twnkltoz, Iq DaNcEr, Shades and 4 others like this.
  2. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Excellent article.
    Iq DaNcEr likes this.
  3. Alexandar Spassov

Alexandar Spassov New Member

4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

good life lessons in general as well!
  5. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

6. Information is not knowledge. Sooooooooooooooooooo true.
  6. Jamal

Jamal New Member

Never really thought any of these things tbh
  7. dbk

dbk Well-Known Member

Ohhh my god I've seen this problem so many times. Cold comfort for those of us with very little natural talent...

All of the rest of them are great too - all very applicable to life, not just dancing.
  8. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

This is fabulous
  9. artofdance

artofdance New Member

Very true, what people do for the love of dance
  10. SadieMarie

SadieMarie New Member

Great article thanks for sharing!
  11. skyblue

skyblue New Member

Yes, great article for dancers of all genres. Think about a ballet class. Even professional level classes start with plies and tendus at EVERY class!
    TemptressToo likes this.
  12. Brandee Stuart

Brandee Stuart New Member

1. Dance is Hard~ A lot of students I get come in thinking that dance is easy. The pros do a great job in making it look easy don't they :)) They honestly have no idea how much work actually goes into it. Shortly after - the weak fade away, but the strong survive. The passion outweighs the struggle and eventually they realize their dreams. I believe this to be true in the professional arena. So many dancers dream of making it in the big leagues, but they soon realize that they are merely a beginner - again - and can't seem to swallow that fact that they have to continue training on whole different level and broaden their horizons so that they can audition for anything that comes there way. It's a true hustle and only the strongest will survive.

I think this is a great article to share with my more advanced students. It gives a realistic idea of what it will take mentally and physically.
    CrazyCee Productions likes this.
  13. JSquared

JSquared New Member

Makes me happy to be a dancer, very appreciative of all's it's taught me.
  14. DanceBattles

DanceBattles New Member

Very interesting, a great article. Thanks :)
  15. twnkltoz

twnkltoz Well-Known Member

16. TomDCG

TomDCG New Member

hey it strikes me that this article could be about almost anything... like most of the points made are almost universal truths... Like I have always been taught - nothing worthwhile is ever easy...

Great article
    twnkltoz likes this.
  17. CCdance

CCdance Member

4. There may not be a tomorrow. –…Dance every day as if it is the final performance. Don’t save the joy of dance for the stage. Infuse even your routine classroom exercises with passion!

almost made me cry lol but so true!