2006 USA DanceSport Nationals

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Laura, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Well, there was regional in Atl, also, top 40% isn't that tough even if ATL didn't have one
  2. LXC

LXC New Member

So the WC event instead of championship will give the offical national title? Just wondering how many of the top couples will dance both.
  3. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

No idea about the title. I think they should both have separate title. not sure at all... but WC will be open to proo, pro am and am...
  4. LXC

LXC New Member

If a pro couple win the WC event, do they get to represent US in IDSF comps? I'm getting confused now. But then I don't think top pros will come to compete in this event.
  5. Laura

Laura New Member

The World Class event will determine who is on the World Team and gets to dance in the World Championships.

The Open Championship Standard event will determine who is the offical USA Dance National Champion.

This means that the top couples will be dancing both if they want both titles.

Personally, I think the whole thing is stupid, and I'm praying that someone decides at the last minute to just drop the whole World Class thing, but that's just my own feeling on the topic.

And yes, if a NDCA-registered couple qualifies at a Regional for World Class, and dances World Class at Nationals, and gets one of the top two places, then they will go to IDSF Worlds. After all, at this point on the world stage -- and especially for sports in or trying to get into the Olympics -- there is no longer any difference between Pros and Amateurs. Any differences are related to what each individual country's sanctioning body decides. Furthermore, the Olympics -- which used to be a citadel of amateur sport -- now requires that sports federations do not discriminate between pros and amateurs when selecting team members.
  6. Egoist

Egoist Member

NDCA-registered? What does the NDCA have to do with the USA Dance Nationals?
  7. Laura

Laura New Member

I'm sorry, I mean to add the word "professional" there! As in "NDCA-registered professional."

What I was really trying to do was differentiate between the people who have declared themselves pros and dance in NDCA pro competitions, and people who are de facto pros but dance in so-called "Amateur" events, and actual amateurs. That's just my own semantic hang-up these days. Regardless, all three of these types of people, plus Pro/Am couples, are allowed to dance in World Class qualifying events at the various Regionals.

If a couple qualifies from there, they can dance in the World Class World Team selection event at Nationals. If a couple gets one of the top two places, then they will go to Worlds -- so it's theoretically possible that USA Dance could send a Pro/Am couple, or a Professional (in the "we dance in NDCA Pro competitions" sense), or some of the top level USA Dance couples, to the IDSF World Championships. It's a real "anything goes" kind of opportunity, and I'm suprised that more people aren't jumping on it. This is the big chance for everyone to dance against everyone. And, if dancesport is going to be in the Olympics, it's the way things are going to have to be, so people should start getting experience dealing with it.
  8. Egoist

Egoist Member

Woudn't "NDCA-registered professionals" need to also become "USA Dance-registered professionals" to compete in a USA Dance sanctioned competition? Does USA Dance plan on distinguishing "NDCA-registered professionals" from the rest of us (amateurs and non-NDCA-registered professionals)?
  9. Laura

Laura New Member

I told you this was my own semantic hang up. I really don't want to get into it on this thread, as it is supposed to be place for people to ask questions about the rules and logistics of the 2006 USA Dance National Championships and not for me to vent my continued frustration with using the word "amateur" to refer to people who are not amateurs in the sense of the word that the average non-dancing person thinks of. USA Dance is using the rather cumbersome terms "DanceSport Athlete," "Certified DanceSport Athlete," and "Regulated DanceSport Athlete." These terms do create the distinctions I am trying to express, but like I said, they are very clunky terms.

And yes, anyone who enters Regionals will have to become a USA Dance member of some sort, no matter who else they are (or are not) registered with.
  10. LXC

LXC New Member

How many pros know that they can dance in this event and represent US to IDSF comps? I can some pros interested in this opportunity. Or are they indimidated by the political differences? How many people in ANY country compete in both amateur and professional competitions?

I remember seeing writing on at least one Chinese 'pro' couple dancing in Asian IDSF events here on DF
  11. Laura

Laura New Member

12. fadaknet

fadaknet New Member

its very nice
  13. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Any news? I'm really excited about Nationals this year. I've got a lot of family in the SF area. Might even have my own 30 person cheering section!

Also, I'm sure one couple is of little consequence, but if it makes no difference to the schedule, it would make life so much easier for me if PreChamp Standard and Latin were not on Sunday like last year. My partner starts veterinary school the next Monday. Probably won't be able to accomodate that change, but I figured there's no harm in asking.
  14. tbrennen

tbrennen Member

Regarding the Pre-Champ events on Sunday: Every couple is of consequence but a schedule has been worked out over the last 7 years that fits all the events in three days while still meeting all the USA Dance rules (for example, 20 minutes between rounds of an event) and trying to accomodate the most couples. Unfortunately, this means that some couples are negatively impacted by the resulting schedule layout and, ACtenDance, I fear that this is the case for you and your partner.

Also, the schedule has been made much more difficult to figure out this year because of the inclusion of the World Class events.
  15. smoozer

smoozer Member

Wondering what dances will be used in each of the syllabus levels standard and latin.
  16. Laura

Laura New Member

You will have the answers to these questions VERY soon. I have a schedule, I'm going to put it online in the next couple of days. I'd do it now but I'm in Las Vegas celebrating my birthday!
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Happy birthday!!! :D
  18. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Now THAT'S what I call a birthday party! Happy birthday, Laura!

:) ChaChaMama
  19. smoozer

smoozer Member

Thanks Laura. Have a fantastic celebration.
  20. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Yah, I figured the schedule was pretty much set, but I figured I'd say something anyway. Happy Birthday Laura!