2006 USA DanceSport Nationals

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Laura, Dec 16, 2005.

1. saludas

saludas New Member

Why didn't the photo crew that was at the Nationals last year want to do it this year?

2. Laura

Laura New Member

I wasn't handling the vendors, so I don't have an actual answer on this. I heard good things about last year's vendor from people who were there last year, so that might have worked but I don't actually know who all was asked. And of course, if they were interested, they could have contacted us. Photography was the one area where we didn't have vendors coming to us before we had to start seeking them out.

3. rz

rz New Member

tunape,
    Like the video clips produced by you and the MIT team. it's awesome! This year's national probably set several records, the amount of publicly available video coverage is probably one of them. Hopefully that will help to draw more crowds and attention to ballroom dance events.

-Rz

4. tunape

tunape New Member

I'm glad you enjoy the videos. We certainly enjoy video taping and watching them as well.

With the MIT team, we hope to promote ballroom by releasing a large amount of content to the public domain. We've been releasing videos from the MIT competition since 2004, and have a professional photographer shoot free photos of competitors since 1997. we're also fortunate to have a supportive institution which provides hosting and fast connectivity.

Likewise, we hope to see more and more people post their content to the public domain as well.

5. DanceScientist

DanceScientist New Member

Yeah, it's cool that we can share videos from the event. I always wondered whether the SF Open and IGB are really shooting themselves in terms of publicity by not allowing private video. Look at how much publicity private videos have given to this year's Nationals on YouTube!

So, why do some competitions not allow video? Is it to allow the video vendors to make money, or is to protect the choreographies of the professionals?

6. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I hope you didn't mean that literally. There's a big difference between making things available and placing them in the public domain - the later would seem to require collecting releases from all relevant contributors.

7. Laura

Laura New Member

There's a whole 'nother thread going on right now on this very topic. See Professional Videographers....

By the way, if a moderator sees this, you can unsticky this thread now that Nationals is over. Thanks!

8. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Will do Laura and, again, thanks for having made this years nationals such a stand out event! :D

9. rz

rz New Member

For those who hasn't seen enough of latin dancing of Nationals
    more video clips are accessible on www.timelessmoment.net (thanks to contactm)