2006 USA DanceSport Nationals

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Laura, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I have to fly in on Friday no matter what anyway. But by mu guess, there really won't be that many people who will qualify... There are not enough big regionals to fill up the quarter I think...
  2. Laura

Laura New Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm thinking, though, as time goes on and people don't qualify at their usual regionals, that some people might go out of town and swell the ranks of less-popular regionals just so they can achieve the World Class status. Like, if someone didn't get it in New Jersey the other week, they could go down to Louisiana and do it there....
  3. Katarzyna

Perhaps, but that still isn't going to be that many couples.. we'll see.. I feel there might not be a quarter even
  4. Laura

Laura New Member

My personal feeling is that I'd be just as happy these days if World Class went away entirely, but that's not going to happen. I'm hoping it will just be two rounds, but we can't promise anything hence the warnings about there being preliminary rounds in the afternoon.
  5. Katarzyna

We'll see how things unfold
  6. Alskling

Alskling Member

I was considering doing something like that, but since no one has ever been able to give a straight answer as to what will happen if there aren't enough couples by rule to give anyone World Class status, I gave up the idea for now. If it happens, it happens. The approach at SE Regional in October seems to have been to grant World Class status to everyone who showed up, which appears to be contrary to what's written in the rulebook, and no one has been able to tell me how a similar situation will be handled in the future. I would be irritated (to put it mildly) if I did a smaller Regional for the express purpose of trying for World Class status, and was denied it because of lack of participation (unless the rules were clearer and I knew in advance that that was a risk I was taking).
  7. tbrennen

tbrennen Member

The "5 or fewer couple" question for World Class qualifying events should be dealt with in the next week or so. I know this has been a total... well, you get the idea. Anyway, hang in there. If I have to run screaming in the halls of USA Dance headquarters, it will get solved. (OK, there aren't any halls like that but you get the idea.)
  8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Amen, sistah.
  9. Alskling

Alskling Member

Thanks...will await further revelations with bated (baited?) breath. :)
  10. saludas

saludas New Member

Er, 'screaming in the halls' might not be a good idea...
  11. tbrennen

tbrennen Member

Oh. Yeah.

[Interesting how things get changed over time. There was no screaming or yelling last August but time exaggerates everything.]
  12. callen

callen New Member

I answered this a couple weeks ago in the NJ Dancesport Classic thread. The questions were answered officially (by a USADance rep answering for USADance) for me there. I also pointed out some oddities in the qualifying system that should be addressed. A quick summary:

1) If there are less than 6 couples, the top 50% qualify.
    2) Fractional couples are rounded up, so, for example, the top 2 of a 3-couple event will qualify.
    3) Oddity: More couples qualify from an 8-couple event (4) than do from a 9-couple event (3).
    4) Oddity: Those who are not allowed to dance at the national championships can displace couples would are allowed to dance at the national championships, potentially preventing couples from qualifying. This might have happened at the NE regionals, but the only relevant couple that I know of didn't place high enough to knock anyone out of a qualifying position.

Christopher
  13. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

How about a rule requiring couples entering WC to prove eligibility?
  14. Laura

Laura New Member

That would certainly make a lot of sense, Joe.
  15. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I can see why you have this as a theoretical concern, however looking at the WC qualifying events as being at least as much a dance competition in their own right as a nationals prerequisite, if international couples are going to participate in USA Dance events, the WC qualifyer event may often be the fairest and most appropriate place to put them, as many do not have to (and do not) abide by the kinds of elgibility rules theoretically applicable to champ. One function of a USA dance WC qualifyer event is to manage the field size at nationals, but another may well be much like that of NDCA World Competitor events - to provide a means of including exciting dancing that can no longer realistically be considered amateur.

Regardless, it's kind of a moot as a benifit or concern until there's more than a token couple showing up now and then.
  16. Katarzyna

Is it true that USABDA will be holding World Class events at some other competitions besides regionals and nationals?
  17. Laura

Laura New Member

It is true that any USA Dance sanctioned event may offer World Class proficiency level events if it likes. I don't know who might be doing what when, but we were considering it for the California State DanceSport Championships if there was enough interest in our area.

These events may or not be World Class qualifier events, I don't know if the Qualifiers are supposed to be tied to Regionals only or not.
  18. Egoist

Egoist Member

Does that mean that only qualified couples may enter?
  19. Laura

Laura New Member

If the event is designated as being a World Class Qualifying event, then anyone may enter -- just like at Regionals these days. If it is a World Class proficiency-level event but is not a qualifier, then only already-qualified couples may enter -- just like at Nationals this year.

I wonder if it is also possible to have World Class events that are open to anyone but aren't actually qualifiers? Meaning, anyone one can dance, but if you win you don't get World Class status? It's a weird scenario, but is one of the possible combinations....

Hopefully the competition organizers hosting such events will make it clear in their entry information packets exactly who may enter.
  20. smoozer

smoozer Member

Ineresting, it seems that at the NW regional there will be WC qualifier and IDSF Open/Championship events. I am curious to see how this works out. I would think that the if anyone from europe shows up (as i have heard there would be) they would be more appropriatly place with the WC couples.