2006 USA DanceSport Nationals

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Laura, Dec 16, 2005.

1. callen

callen New Member

I don't see the point of "however." Outside of some slight theoretical support for my statement, this has no bearing on my statement. There is no need to exclude someone from dancing the event just to exclude them from the qualification criteria. Plus, if a goal is to provide more exciting dancing by attracting better international dancers, then achieving that goal would coincide with the issue becoming a real problem.

So you're of the opinion that it's better to let a known issue cause a problem then fix it than it is to fix the issue before it becomes a problem? Honestly, as it's sooo easy to fix, that just sounds like laziness or apathy. All you have to do is adjust the qualifying criteria to being in the top 50%/40%/33.3% of those participants who will be eligible to dance at nationals.

As for "now and then," this is a couple that is good and frequently seen. I don't profess to be a great judge, but some were surprised the couple in question did not place higher. Plus, there are good couples moving here fairly regularly. Those couples commonly compete before a national championship in which they will not be allowed to participate. The chance of a problem arising from this issue is relatively large.

Christopher
  2. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Only if we're sure that it's something that actually should be fixed.

I'm not yet sure of that, and so especially in the abscence of an actual problem to date, would rather let things run for a while to get a sense of where things are headed.

As for why I'm not yet convinced that this is something that should be fixed, it's in part due to the name being "world class" and not "national class". I see an implication there that the selection is intended to find the couples worthy of competing in a more global context. If some of the global dimension shows up locally, that could almost be viewed as increasing the validity of the selection event. In reality though, I have a suspicion that the most likely inelgible entrants are fairly typical US dancers of foreign birth, but who do not have the particular visas that would make them elgible to represent the US in international competition. Despite this, they are still fully a part of the local dance scene, and placing against them perhaps should be a requirement to qualify at a regional where they turn up.

Also, given that qualifying for WC apparently (?) allows a USA Dance regulate athlete to teach, there may be legitimate reasons for a dancer inelgible to represent the US to seek this status (assuming they are elgible to work)

But then, perhaps you are right and it should be fixed - my point is that it's early to be making that decision, especially when a petition mechanism exists and has already been used to reconsider cases caught in various technicalities.

One question to ponder: how would you handle the presence of a hypothetical couple which has already qualified at a different regional?
  3. Chris Stratton

Not if the other event has "ISDF" in it's name. If it does, it's exactly where foreign IDSF-registered couples belong and have been formally invited to. Though they might also dance the WC qualifier, and perhaps in the process force consideration of callen's concern.
  4. tbrennen

tbrennen Member

Callen, I read your four points with interest, especially #3 (non-increasing number of athletes qualifying for World Class as number of couples in a WC qualifying event increase) and #4, the issue now under discussion. While neither of these issues is likely to be resolved by the upcoming Nationals in August, I have brought both of them to the attention of the DanceSport Council in the hopes that they will be addressed. #3 can be solved fairly easily but #4 is a completely different problem, if it is indeed a problem.

I personally think that it is a problem that needs to be solved. Allowing only US residents, i.e. eligible to dance at Nationals in the representational events, to dance in World Class qualifying events at the various regionals would solve the problem but starts raising the issue of difficulty of implementation. Not doing anything to our current process isn't right, either. I am sure there are other solutions, too, that I have not thought of but we will have to find them.
  5. Chris Stratton

And what about couples who have already qualifed?
  6. Laura

Laura New Member

Guys, I hate to be a pain, but the purpose of this thread is to get out information and to answer questions about this year's Nationals in San Jose. If you want to discuss North West Regionals, the intent of or utility of World Class, or IDSF events, can you start another thread? (These are all interesting topics, by the way, and might get even more viewers if they were discussed under their own thread names.)

Thanks.
  7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

As much as I hate to admit it, I haven't read this thread. I skimmed it, but have been too swamped this week to actually read everything. If somebody else doesn't do it by tomorrow AM, I'll read through this thread and start a couple other threads on topics raised here. :)
  8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I know this is thinking somewhat ridiculously far ahead, but will 2007 Nationals also be in San Jose? Will it be approximately the same dates?

ChaChaMama
  9. Laura

Laura New Member

The 2007 Nationals will be in Louisville, KY. They will be at about the same time in August, but I don't have the exact dates offhand.
  10. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

I just took a look at the website and noticed that there were college prices. I hope this attracts more college students out to Nationals. We're sending 3 couples out there, and I'm sure they'll be happy to know that they get a small price break :)
  11. Laura

Laura New Member

We like college students! They're definitely the backbone of the local adult beginner-intermediate community, so we wanted to do a little something for them. :)
  12. Mark Herschberg

Mark Herschberg New Member

How many people/couples usually come to nationals? How many are you expecting this year?

--Mark
  13. Laura

Laura New Member

I don't know the numbers offhand, sorry.

This doesn't answer your question, but I'll add that we are expecting a lot more syllabus and Novice dancers than last year, though.
  14. Laura

Laura New Member

A mistake has been uncovered in the paper entry forms for Nationals. On the web site the entry forms currently say that the dances for Gold Rhythm are C,R,Sw,B. The truth is, they won't be dancing Bolero, it's Mambo instead.

Last year no one at all entered Gold Rhythm, so I went back to 2004 to double check because we want to keep consistency going forward. Sure enough they definitely used Mambo in 2004.

So, if you're thinking of dancing Gold Rhythm at Nationals, get your Mambo ready.

This information will be corrected on the downloadable paper entry forms (I'm getting someone to regenerate the PDFs for me right now), and will be correct on the online registration system. It will be wrong in the upcoming edition of "Amateur Dancers." I apologize for the confusion.
  15. Laura

Laura New Member

And now, what many of you have been waiting for...online registration is now open. You can get there via

http://www.usabda-norcal.org/2006nationals

This is the same registration system that was used last year, so if you went last year you should be familliar with it.

Good luck and happy dancing!
  16. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Great!!! so the page is sort of working.. right now it doesn't log me in because once I fill our information, I get a message that the page cannot be found. But I am sure it will be fixed shortly :)

I love online registration
  17. Laura

Laura New Member

Are you using Internet Explorer for your browser? If so go back to http://www.usabda-norcal.org/2006nationals and click the "try here" link that is below the regular entry form link. Mark told me that some people who use Internet Explorer have problems using the system when it's embedded in another frame.

If that doesn't work, email Mark via the address on the registration form page: form@o2cm.com

('Cause it works for me...I registered what I would have entered if things were different, and then went back and deleted my entries :( )
  18. Katarzyna

Oh I see, I didn't notice that link before
  19. Laura

Laura New Member

I just noticed that if you go to the page where it shows which couples are entered in which events, it says the day sessions start at 8:30am and the evening session starts at 7:30pm.

This is not necessariliy true, and I'm getting Mark Tabor to change it.

The daytime sessions won't start before 8:30am as far as I know, but the evening sessions will possibly start as early as 6:00pm. I didn't realize that the registration system put start times on the list, and I apologize for any confusion this may cause.

Please refer to the official Preliminary Schedule for schedule information.
  20. Katarzyna

how do you get to that page where you see the list?