Ballroom Dance > 2008 USA Dance Nationals

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by wyllo, Nov 6, 2007.

1. wyllo

wyllo New Member

A website is now up with pricing and information for the 2008 USA Dance Nationals: www.usadancenationals.com

Seems so early to be thinking about it, but I guess they are only five months away with early entries due by March 7. Plus, I missed this year's nationals so I'm really excited to go next year. :)

Unfortunately, looking at the way pricing is set up I think nationals will be a lost opportunity. Being on the East Coast and during the school year, I was hopeful the collegiate teams would be there in force and we'd have the strongest syllabus showing in years. But at $80 per couple per event and no student discount (I didn't see one anyway), I'm not sure that will happen. Yes, it is nice to have a structure set up so that the more you dance, the more you pay and that works for me since I only dance one style. But I can see it depressing entries of people who are used to paying a single fee to dance as much as they want. People on the collegiate team here who were interested in going to nationals are pretty offset by the cost (of course, they also have to worry about travel expenses, which doesn't affect the East Coast teams as much).

Competitors must buy spectator tickets ($25 daytime/$45 evening) for the sessions in which they are not competing. I'm not a fan of this, I think competitors should get tickets for all sessions included with their entry fees. It just seems like a nice reward for going to a regional and then showing up to nationals. Also, I imagine it would increase the number of spectators. If people have to pay extra on top of their entry fees, they may decide to skip the evening sessions or just go to their favorite event. If it's free, maybe they'll go check out something they haven't seen before.

Also, why are championship-level entry fees more expensive?

It looks like there already have been very generous donations for scholarships, which is awesome!

2. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

I found hotel very expensive, too. Over $200.00 per night. I am afraid the 08 national will be small.

3. cy_phi

cy_phi Member

If it weren't for the discount, the hotel would cost about $300/night. Sheesh! If you shop around, you will find hotels nearby that are less expensive.

4. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Wow, talk about punishing the dancers (by having them pay a higher entry fee) that most spectators will actually be paying the comp organizers money to see! Sounds like the OSB controversy all over again!

And the hotel: I am so glad I am local to these Nationals!

I know few college students who would be willing to pay so much to compete... Too bad as the comp organizers had a really great chance of having a great collegiate turnout this year...

5. Kitty

Kitty New Member

the entry fees seem reasonable, especially comparing with last year.
    a college couple could always enter in 2 styles and pay 160. who says the price structure should resemble that at college comps?

the ticket prices for spectators are unfortunate.

6. wyllo

wyllo New Member

That's a good point. I just know that it is very unlikely that college students from Wisconsin will spend the time, effort and money traveling to nationals if they will only be able to afford to dance one or two styles. And I just don't like the idea of anyone not being able to attend who would like to go compete. But maybe that's not a priority for the organizers since there is a separate collegiate nationals at OSB.

From my perspective the pricing is great! We'll only be paying $80 per person in entry fees, which is much cheaper than previous years.

7. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

We'll be paying $85/person which is fine but then we'll also be paying quite a bit to spectate, if we choose to do that... I guess the organizers want us to choose not to?

8. saludas

saludas New Member

Unfortunately, I found these items in the 'supplies suggested' page... thanx, Baltimore, for actually recommending that oil be used on the floor. Thanx, from all of us who have to dance over spilled oil or powdery patches on the floor...

•Mineral oil/anti-skid powder (if the floor is too fast.)
    •Baby powder (if the floor is too slow.)

9. swan

swan Member

Agreed. I think the entry fee to compete is good. But they should lower the spectators' ticket ($25 should be max, IMHO)! I'd want to watch Friday night adult latin & Youth 10 dance. Can't believe they charge $45 - same as NDCA comp price. USADance usually has reasonable spectators' price. Gotta attract more audience. I enjoyed the Kentucky one as it's always full house! Means a lot more for the competitors!!!!

10. Laura

Laura New Member

Thing is, when the tickets are all included, it makes the entry fees much higher (remember Minnesota), and then people complain about that. Personally, I'm in favor of an a la carte scheme -- then it just becomes a question of how to price the individual parts.

Well, it's never been "free" -- the extra session ticket prices would get absorbed into the overall competitor entry fees. And in the past competitors complained bitterly when they had to in effect pay for sessions that they had no interest in attending anyway, be it for personal taste or scheduling reasons. A lot of people leave Sunday afternoon, and so don't want to pay for Sunday night. A lot of people have no interest in watching the daytime syllabus events, and so don't want to pay for that.

11. Laura

Laura New Member

Reload the page and look again :)

12. wyllo

wyllo New Member

I'm not arguing for the spectator tickets to be included in the competition fees - I don't think anyone wants that! I just think it would be a nice reward for competitors, in recognition of all their work to get to nationals, that they not have to pay for spectator tickets or that they pay a more reasonable price. But that's just my opinion. It won't keep me from attending nationals, but it does mean that I will probably only choose to attend one evening session.

And while in theory I like the "the more you dance, the more you pay" competition pricing, at some point it just seems like people are being punished for being versatile and are being asked to shoulder a disproportionate share of the competition expenses.

13. saludas

saludas New Member

That works for me.

14. Laura

Laura New Member

As to why Adult Championship is more expensive, I'm guessing it's because the early rounds are usually run in the daytime session, so the extra $10 per couple ($5 per person) covers that since the entry fees include tickets to the ballroom for the sessions you are dancing in. Other levels aren't split day-to-evening like that.

This is just my guess though, I haven't had anything to do with the planning or pricing, although I will be there at competitor check-in. So see you then!

15. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

I think the prices for spectators are completely outrageous. I was a spectator last year and paid $30 for the whole weekend, now it will be $150 for the whole weekend. 5 times as much is quite a jump.

As far as the competitor fees, I like the idea of paying more the more you dance, but I think there needs to be a cap. Some friends that I know that compete in Bronze and Silver in all 4 styles would be paying $640 for the couple to dance and another $270 to get to watch the Champ events at night. $910 not including any transportation costs is insane.

16. Kitty

Kitty New Member

why do they have to dance everything and 2 levels on top of that. the events might be larger than usual, so they'd get too tired anyway...

this is the normal pricing structure for comps here and in europe, with the collegiate competitions price structure being an exception...

17. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Because they like to dance and if they're paying to travel some place, they want to be able to dance a lot. And they're used to dancing that much in one day rather than it being spread over two days, so they wouldn't worry about getting too tired.

I've actually been to a lot of non-collegiate amateur comps that don't use that sort of pricing structure and while it works great for those that do one or two levels or styles, it doesn't work well for a lot of the collegiate set that dance as much as they possibly can.

I just think you're going to find the Bronze & Silver levels will have less people with this structure.

18. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

I think the distribution of pricing for the various offerings seems pretty good.

The amount is on the high side though. Why does nationals need to cost 50% more per entry than a large east coast event such as NE regionals or MAC?

19. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Agreed. The end result is that syllabus level events at nationals are likely to be less competitive than at well populated regionals, "regular USA Dance" events, or collegiates events. Since the lower level syllabus dancers normally haven't specialized yet and will often be strong in multiple styles/levels.

This pricing will mean, if they attend, at all, they're likely to choose some subset of their strong events, thus reducing the competition across the board on average.

20. I'm Still Dancing

I'm Still Dancing New Member

It would be nice if they scaled the pricing. i.e. $80/couple for 1 event, $150/couple for 2 events, $200/couple for 3 events, etc.