2009 Mac

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Daphna, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

The MAC is Back! Who's going to the MAC? The deadline for registration for this amazing competition, (OK, a little hyperbole is always allowed when trying to make sure that everyone attends a a great event ;)) is Dec. 29, 2008. That's in 2 1/2 weeks, ahhhhhh :doh:.

Hope to see you all on the entry lists.

Daphna

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

planning on going to watch my friends compete...

3. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Planning on it!

Haven't registered yet, so thanks for the nudge.

I have done the most important part, though, which is informing the grandparents that they are babysitting. :)

4. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Grandparents should come and watch and bring baby to cheer mom on. There is no charge for babies :)

5. ChaChaMama

She's actually 6, but still a little young to stay home alone. ;)

She did watch us this year at Nationals and no doubt will come in 2009 too. (Baltimore is only about 45 mins away for us.)

My dream plan is that eventually she will come along and compete herself...but that may be a bit into the future yet. She can do a basic cha-cha, so we're getting there!

6. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

so this is the 2nd qualifying chance for 2009 National? I recall 3 local qualifying events:

1. NJ Classic June '08
    2. MAC Jan '09
    3. Bethesta in DC Feb '09?

7. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

I'll be there....already registered, and booked a hotel room. As a heads up, you can get a room at the comp hotel for cheaper if you call and ask for the holiday rate, rather than the rate they're offering for the dancers.

8. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Thanks for letting us know, we will be contacting the hotel to see if we can get the lower rate.

9. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Thanks to jjs914's posting regarding the hotel rate, we have gotten the MAC rate down to $139.00/night:banana:. When you call to book your hotel room, please ask for the MAC rate.

10. jjs914

jjs914 Active Member

Yup.... :p

11. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

I'll be there...probably chained to the ribbons and medals and helping out with other random things. Should be a great couple of days..the Champ and Pre-Champ divisions are starting to fill up nicely :)

12. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Officially registered...Standard...officially excited.

13. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Cool...make sure to say Hi...I'll be the red head handing the ribbons to the judges to hand out.

14. ChaChaMama

Woo-hoo! We just registered too!

Oddly enough, I needed a second shot at it. At first, I was told I had to enable my cookies. This is a new computer for me, but I was pretty sure my cookies were enabled. I feel sad when people reject my cookies. :( I did again, and I could swear I did the exact same thing I did the first time, and it worked.

Now I just have to get DH to stop coughing and feeling so enervated so we can get some quality practice time in!

15. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

Registered too...

16. samina

samina Well-Known Member

wow...officially exciting!

17. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Hopefully we'll do well enough that we get to head up to the judges table ;) - will say hi either way!

18. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Looking forward to seeing you again Samina...still trying to convince Laura to come out and join us as well...

19. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

wonder if people are using paper entries for Mac or registering late, as at this point the #s are still lower than columbia... strange

20. ChaChaMama

Agree this is strange, but this is a busy time of year for many folks. It would be more interesting to compare the numbers to 10 days before registration closed last year.

I'm pleased to see some new partnerships in champ latin and am greatly looking forward to watching them compete. It seems like about 50% of the top champ adult and champ youth couples have broken up in the last 12 months. It's nice to see these top dancers getting back out on the floor.

We decided to treat ourselves to VIP tickets again for both nights. :)

It's very nice how at MAC, for $75 night, you can get reserved front row seats and treats and I think make a small contribution to the scholarship fund. The organizers of this comp and the VIP program do such a nice job and really make ticket holders feel special. CCP likes to know he'll have a good vantage point to take photos.

I wish there were more comps that offered reserved front row ticket options for a la carte (i.e. non-package) attendees. (USA Dance does for Nationals and some NQEs. I've seen it listed for an occasional NDCA comp, but it seems rare.)