2009 Mac

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Daphna, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

Vancouver's not cold. Wet, but a whole lot warmer than Seattle. It was almost 70 degrees on the top of Grouse Mountain in Vancouver all weekend while we were freezing our backsides off in Manhattan!

2. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

Aha! I just made the connection! Didn't realize you were Sambagirl when we met. It was great competing against you. Well done! Really enjoyed meeting you and your partner.

Yes, you're right that no competitions in North America ever hold IDSF Senior 1 Latin events. I can understand it because who wants to pay megadollars in licensing fees for the event to have only a handful of couples show up. You should go to Classique this year. Some excellent Senior 1 couples will be there and it's always a very good event. It would be a great test of your skill against some of North America's best couples. Unfortunately we can't go to Classique this year because SnowBall happens on the same weekend and since I'm part of the organizing team I have to attend. But plan to come to Vancouver in 2010, as we are hosting IDSF World Cup Latin and it happens the week before the 2010 winter Olympics in Vancouver.

3. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Thanks for the invite -- we would love to go to La Classique but it's a little short notice right now and the Thursday night scheduling for Senior I Latin really doesn't work for us. I wish organizers would take into account that people over 35 generally are, well, working? We may end up trying another IDSF event before worlds, if we end up being able to represent the U.S.

Vancouver in 2010 sounds wonderful; I've never been to the city and have always wanted to go, especially since you have developed a reputation for good Chinese food!

4. Laura

Laura New Member

Nice picture sambagirl...I think it's new? Or I haven't been paying attention. Anyway, NICE!

5. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

Yes, it's new. I decided to let go of a little anonymity. Thanks!

6. Laura

Laura New Member

Yeah...and confirmed that you are who I thought you were :)

7. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

I guess I'm "outed" now. :)

8. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

You can also send email to board @ nyusadance.org, or mac @ nyusadance.org with feedback.

We all want to know what you liked and didn't like, and how we can make it better.

9. sambagirl

sambagirl Member

The music and announcements, on Saturday night at least, were too loud!

10. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I really liked everything!

And EXTRA kudos to a comp that (generally speaking) runs ON TIME! Yay to everyone involved in making that happen. (Maybe you can provide a tutorial to some of the, ahem, "schedule-challenged" comps.)

The one thing I missed--and I know it was probably cut due to time constraints, so I'm not sure this is exactly a suggestion--were the 30-60 second "dance-ons" for the couples in the youth and adult championship events. It's nice to have an opportunity to see each couple individually.

The VIP program at MAC = best of any comp. Great seats, great re*fresh*ments, great people.

Great job!

11. I really liked that we actually danced a full 1:30 instead of 1:00 or at most 1:15.

I wasn't too impressed with the music choices though. I thought the songs could have been better. And I'm still not sure why there were so many problems with the sound system.... Audio cutting out in the middle of a song, songs skipping.....

12. Lorelei

Lorelei Member

Great job MAC! For me this was one of the most enjoyable competitons this year. As Novice competitors, we also appreciated the fact that Novice was run in the same session as Pre-Champ. Unless one has a luxury of owning more than one costume, it is just so disgusting to get into wet dance costumes for the second session.

13. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

To everyone who is looking for the results from the MAC, please go to www.o2cm.com, then click on results and then on the MAC link. It will take you straight to all of the results and you can then pick and choose which events you want

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with this! Even at times off the floor I had to stick my fingers in my ears.

15. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

The MAC was run very well, as usual. Great job, organizers! Even the security guards were super sweet; several of them commented on my dress and my dancing;)

16. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

17. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

CCP is an amateur photographer, and he took photos both Friday and Saturday nights.

The first batch are up, which include all of his Friday night shots, and the very beginning of Saturday.

http://www.pbase.com/anc/mac09

Dancers pictured include:

ADULT PRE-CHAMPIONSHIP LATIN:
    Khan Hannan and Meagan O'Toole
    George Shamis and Ava Donovan
    Filipp Akopyan and Alena Birukova
    Chin-Hong Wang and Natalya Gertsik
    Scott Vu and Lisa Falcone

ADULT CHAMPIONSHIP LATIN
    Tal Livshitz and Vlada Semenova (lots)
    Jason Dai and Patrycja Golak (lots)
    Peter Gelzhinsky and Mila Burdan
    Igor Zabrodin and Nina Estrina
    Pasha Stepanchuk and Nadezda Vlasova (lots)
    Denys Drozdyuk and Antonina Skobina
    Boris Rudenko and Ekaterina Fedosova
    Pavel Balykin and Natalia Barantseva

ADULT CHAMPIONSHIP SMOOTH
    Ryan Kenner and Amanda Pytlik (on pages 5 and 7)

TEAM MATCH OFFICIAL WINNERS' PHOTO--"Team Awesome"

YOUTH LATIN CHAMPIONSHIP
    Ilia Kvartin and Ann Stillman
    Mircea Cernev and Jennifer Fales
    Ron Garber and Sofia Zaytseva
    Slavic Ben and Yana Orlova
    Dmitry Ivashchenko and Liza Lakovitskya

***There are definitely more to come of Youth Latin, and lots more of Saturday night in general.***

MQ (or anyone else)--Is this Pavel Balykin and Natalia Barantseva? If not, any idea who it is?

http://www.pbase.com/anc/image/108445615

18. njdancegirl

njdancegirl Active Member

Yes, believe so...

Great pics again - as usual!

19. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

Yup...MP's new teacher. It's so funny to see him that tan. Great couple, bother personally and dance-fully!

20. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

You'll let us know where your pictures are, correct?? :friend: