2009 Mac

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Daphna, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Seems like US field dessolved for part of the year.. like you said... sad.. but good peopel are coming back.. getting tired of small 3 couple NDCA comps.... grr

think columbia did a good job this and last year. Didnt go to MAC previous year so it will be intersting to see the new venue.. and its so close from my house I can walk there

2. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Katarzyna is right, registration is a little low, so if everyone would please remind their friends, dance competitors, enemies, fellow hobbyist's, etc etc that they need to register for the MAC that would be great. The MAC organizing committee is have small heart attacks on a daily basis.

ChaChaMama, glad you got VIP tickets, for our VIP sponsors we are adding an after session party on Saturday night. In addition, for the first time, we have reserved front row seating for only $55/person/night.

3. cshorte

cshorte Member

mac attack! :D

<-- excited

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

MANY people like to register at the last moment (and later, even).

5. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I think Joe is probably right - ppl like to register last minute, even for a regional...

I doubt people would use paper entry instead, why deal with papers when you can click a few buttons register online?

6. Standarddancer

wait a minute, this is still a regional? someone just texted me saying MAC not regional this year?

7. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

There aren't really "regionals" anymore, they're called National Qualifying Events(NQE) now that qualify you to go Nationals and Yes, the MAC is a NQE.

8. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

It could be a symptom of the dilution effect of having so many "qualifiers" nowadays. It seems like every event is a freakin' qualifier now.

9. Standarddancer

oh that's exactly what I meant;) guess they changed name from Regional to NQE? such long name "National qualifying event"! a lot of my friends still referring to it as "regional" since it's shorter and easier to say;) but I guess we all mean the same thing...

10. Standarddancer

really? too many? where? only 3 local qualifying events as far as I know, 1st one is gone - NJ classic summer sizzler (well, since both you and me danced there, we've already qualified):p...

then 2nd chance this MAC, and for folks who missed summer sizzler, and also can't make it to MAC, last chance is Bethesta at your home town DC area?

so only 3 in Northeastern area, not many, only 3 chances for folks who don't want to spend expensive airfare to a remote NQE.

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but doubling the number of qualifiers reduces the "I gotta go to that one!" factor for all qualifiers.

12. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Yeah, while it's good to have choice, I agree with Joe that it does decrease the "gotta go" factor, which can sometimes hurt the numbers at comps.

13. Bella

Bella New Member

I'll be there watching! :)

14. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

So, are people saying that "less = more" and that they would prefer fewer NQEs rather than having more options to dance and qualifiy for Nationals?

15. Not at all, people would likely prefer more NQEs and have more options.
    Joe etc. are trying to explain that this also means that ppl don't feel forced to go to certain ones (eg. MAC) b/c they have other options, as a possible explanation for your reduced registration.

16. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Maybe people should be required to dance in a set amount of competitions in order to do Nationals - perhaps 4 - two NQE and 2 that are or may not be. That way there will be real attendance at the comps, and it will feel more like a real 'National" competition.

17. reb

reb Active Member

Agree. Emphasis is mine. And other factors.

Hi Daphna,

Aahhh . . . asking what we want - that's where it went wrong! :D 'Wants' tend to become an aggregate of "all of the above" with unintended consequences resulting from giving us what we want:
    • The convenience of competitions within driving distance for everyone
    • The convenience of competitions in each person's preferred timeframe
    • The desire of large fields of skilled competitors at each level, age group, and style = large numbers of entries
    Our desire for large fields (and number of entrants) could be satisfied if we correspondingly increase something else besides the number of NQEs . . . the number of people skilled at each level, style, and age group, our availability, interest, and capability in traveling, . . .

Until that happens, we'll experience the positive and negative effects of the expansion of number of NQEs

18. star_gazer

star_gazer Active Member

In some areas...like Utah...there are no USA Dance Competitions. The closest qualifying events are in Seattle and San Jose. For many amateurs around here, it would be financially difficult to do more than one qualifying event.

19. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I think the increase in the number of NQEs was the right move.

Not every person can do every date, and it is nice to give people several opportunities to qualify. I, for one, would like to see a nice big Nationals in Baltimore!!!

My guess is that MAC registration will go up somewhat before the event. (Don't college teams usually come out in big numbers for MAC?)

If it is lower than it has been, I would blame the massive partnership changes that have gone on in the past 12 months, and the economy way before I would blame the number of NQEs.

On a semi-related note..
    I was just re-playing some videos I shot during the adult latin at MAC 2007 which I have saved on my computer. Of the couples in those videos, not one is still dancing amateur latin with each other!

Eugene and Maria, Nikolai and Natasha, Russ and Katusha-pro.
    Alex and Elijah, Tal and Kate, Pasha and Inna, Velislav and Christine--split up.

If you look at the results of Champ Latin from 2008 Nationals, the JI, JII, Youth, and Adult latin champs have all split up, as have several other couples from the final.

So I think it would be fair to say that that some of the latin fields are in a state of transition.

20. reb

reb Active Member

Transition? . . . that's more of an upheaval!

Along with you, CCM, I'm enthusiatic about a large Nationals in Baltimore.

Here's a 'want' - I'm also looking forward to Nationals being located closer to the most populous State of the Union again, even if only occasionally . . .
    ;)