2009 Mac

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Daphna, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Hey! We are just getting kinda use to the idea of having it over here again...

2. kimV6

kimV6 New Member

well yea, but if we drew an area the size of california out of the megalopolis that is the northeast corridor centering on baltimore, we'd have the most populous state in the union :p

can't speak for anyone else, but MAC just happens to be a bad weekend for me and partner.

3. reb

reb Active Member

Baltimore is kind of nice . . . :D

If :p

4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

See if you can hypnotize Laura. :D

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, it's a question of having a certain number of comps and having enough business for those comps. Have too many comps, many of them will lose money. Was there something wrong with the single Regional per region arrangement? It's not like the dates weren't publicized well in advance of Nationals; if you couldn't make it to one, there were others to choose from.

6. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Having no comps within x amount of miles certainly can be a problem, but doesn't this mean that USA Dance might make THAT an issue? That each chapter has to promote or create a competition?

7. Standarddancer

Standarddancer Well-Known Member

I agree with you 100%. More options and more qualifying opportunities are simply awesome!!!! It's always good with choices, not to stuck into one situation. People can always choose the one near their home town, the one most affortable and convenient to go.

I would think lower registration maybe just because of the current economy crisis, people might not have as much income as they used to have so maybe cut traveling expenses & comp expenses, etc. Back in September when I check another site for comp registrations, every comp is low registration, at least MAC gets more participation than many other comps as always:)

8. Standarddancer

That would be unrealistic - forced participation just to ensure each comp have business not really an ideal way to promote dancesport. I think the current USA Dance National already have some participating awards to award couples who danced more NQE's; There are different categories - couples who participated 2 or more gets some free registration at Nationals, etc. if 4 or more, then something more + having couples names published on AD magazine, just an incentive.

It would be best if USA dance uses this kind of incentives to encourage participation, not just use mendatory pariticipation requirements which could put a lot of financial burdens for couples who lives in remote areas, give an incentive, and let couples make their own decisions, 2 plane tickets equals many many lessons, would be really nice and reasonable to let the couples choose if worth paying to travel for a NQE or take lessons with the $$$ to improve technique.

9. Standarddancer

I feel your pain, certainly a lot of financial stress on couples in your area, certainly not fair to require couples to participate more than one NQE.

10. Larinda McRaven

Sounds like Top Student awards for the circuts... Dancesport Series, Dancers Cup, Global... etc.

11. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

I hope that everyone had a great holiday and that your plans for the New Year include competing at the MAC, whose deadline by the way, is this coming Mon. Dec. 29. So please register ASAP. Have a very happy new year and I'll see you all at the MAC.

12. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I believe today is the last day to register without late fees.

Who is getting excited?

CCP is still sick (Day 40!) and usually feels worst in the evenings, so we haven't been getting in much joint practice at all. :( I do continue to work on my own dancing, though. He is now on a third course of antibiotic and cough syrup with codeine, so I'm hoping he'll be all patched up when the third antibiotic runs out on Jan. 1.

Also getting excited to watch. I notice that Tal Livshitz and Pasha Stepanchuk are each registered to dance with new partners (Vlada Semenova and Nadezda Vlasova, respectively). I'm looking forward to seeing these new partnerships.

Now someone who knows Valentin Chmerkovskiy needs to persuade him to do MAC with his new partner.... ;)

13. Larinda McRaven

Hope CCP gets better sometime soon!

14. Standarddancer

oh no! day 40 for ccp still sick? he must be suffering:( haven't heard someone on antibiotic for so long...

Sending some positive vibes to his way....

15. and123

and123 Well-Known Member

watch out, or Samina will pour some Noni down his throat :p

16. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

I want to thank everyone who registered for the MAC. It should be a fantastic competition with many events having at least quarter-finals if not first rounds. There are still spectator tickets available, with some reserved seat tickets also left.

Hope to see you all there.

17. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

Are we to assume that we had to have paid by now to receive the discounted registration rate? My partner registered us way before the deadline but neither of us could figure out how to pay via o2cm (I can't even figure out how to buy tickets through it - have tried many times before, including several Nationals, and it never works for me:()... We were planning to pay when we picked up our packets on Saturday but what fee will we be paying then - regular or late?

18. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Need to leave the computer right now, but am checking to make sure my info is correct and will get back to you later tonight. Sorry about the delay.

Daphna

19. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I'm missing MAC this year.... soooooo sad!!!!!!

20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

You similarly have not paid for SE Regionals. In order to get "secure payment with Authorize.net" button (which appears in the "Financial Summary and Payments" section of the Account Review page), you need to select a ticket/package type (in the "Tickets and/or Package Selection" section) for each person, i.e. highlight the ticket/package info in the #1-4 boxes, then highlight the person in the #5 box. Then click the Add button.

When you see how easy it is you'll kick yourself.

So, since all the entries are in, when can we expect a more detailed schedule? :D