2009 Mac

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Daphna, Dec 14, 2008.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Speaking hypothetically, if you were given a free hand to re-arrange the Saturday night schedule, without moving things to different nights, how would you prefer the schedule to be arranged?

Would you swap MOS Standard with Pre-Champ, even though traditionally there is a crescendo in levels over the course of the evening?
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

There are 11 couples doubling up in Champ and Prechamp Standard. How many of those do you think would drop out of Champ?
  3. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

All the ones who have a chance to make the final *should* drop if they want a chance to dance the final well. The ones who don't have a chance at a final, don't have to drop... If they don't care how they dance in the final (or aren't shrewd enough to think ahead), I suppose they will dance both.
  4. Egoist

Egoist Member

I guesstimate about 5 of those ought to drop champ. A sixth that I saw registered a while back already dropped it.
  5. Waltz7

Waltz7 New Member

Does anyone know if it is easy to buy spectactor tickets for Friday night? I have never been to the new venue, but in years passed at Columbia, they were always sold out. Thanks for any info!
  6. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Shouldn't be a problem, the Grand Ballroom at the Manhattan Center is bigger and we have some tiered seating. There are also some reserved seats left of Friday night. See you next week.
  7. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

There's a huge balcony too!

Really--you think? 11 couples, six spots in the final...say it ain't so!
  8. Kitty

Kitty New Member

so how many couples in amateur standard?
  9. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

The entry lists are online on o2cm. It's a 1st round right now but, given the above discussion, that may change...
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

So are you two backing out?
  11. Egoist

Egoist Member

Would you?
  12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If I thought I had a chance to win Prechamp I'd bail, especially if my competition didn't bail.
  13. Adwiz

Adwiz New Member

Is there a practice floor in the facility for MAC? If so, what's the size? If not, is there a ballroom not too far away that lets couples come in for warmup/practice at a reasonable fee?
  14. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

There is a practice floor that is an OK size, not huge but usable and of the same type of floor as the ballroom floor. Sorry, don't know the exact size.
  15. Ithink

Ithink Active Member

If it's the same practice floor as last year, it's really NOT appropriate for standard/smooth especially with latin couples practicing in the middle of it. Plus, the floor is laid down in a very small room which was VERY hot.
  16. Chris Stratton

Chris Stratton New Member

Unfortunately, the same could often be said of most studios in Manhattan...
  17. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Just so everyone knows, if you were planning on getting a VIP ticket to either of the evening sessions, they are now sold out for both nights of the 2009 MAC. However, there is still reserved seating left if you want to guarantee an up-close view of the dancing.
  18. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Mandicraft, your post made me think of a question.

Do you know if VIP ticket holders are going to be assigned seats within the section (like last year), or if it is going to be open seating within the section (as it has been sometimes in the past)?

Trying to figure out the odds on CCP getting to sit in an optimal position for photos on Friday night. There is no way we can be there when the session starts at 3:30. (We are going to pull our 1st grader out of school right after lunch, but we still have a bit of a shlep from MD.)
  19. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Hmmm....that's a good question, I'll do some checking on that and let you know. Looking forward to seeing you guys there!
  20. GJB

GJB Well-Known Member

Are there going to be tickets available at the door Sat. night? I'm not concerned about preferred seating just want to make sure I can get in the door.