2010 Winter Olympics - It's more than figure skating!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by RickRS, Feb 20, 2010.

1. RickRS

RickRS Member

It's about the halfway mark, but I thought ya'll might welcome a spot to comment on any of the events without having it being dance related (aka this thread)

I've seen a lot of great stuff in sports I know little about (NW Florida isn't known for it snow skiing or ice skating ;)). Just last night I saw the sight of a 35 year old skiing Super G get topped by a 40 year coming after. 40 year old in the Olympics!!! Unfortunately, the guy wiped out. After seeing the some of the top women downhillers wipe out and then some of the guys, man! this course is brutal!

Plenty more going on, any comments?

2. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

Watched the Super-G last night, that course was definitely brutal. Loved the Norwegian guy's story, how awesome for him to come back and win the gold!:D

Of course, also watched ice dancing. Very impressed with what I saw there!

3. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Oh boy....where to start?

Love the downhill and super-G competitions. They scare the b'jeebes out of me, but its thrilling as well. Watching those women suffer such horrific crashes, and still come back and ski the next day, is an inspiration.

Speed skating is fun, and watching short track is about as exciting as sports get for me....ever...especially as we have two very strong competitors to cheer for.

As for figure skating....that goes without saying. Love pairs and ice dance. The single skating is fun too. Yay for Evan!

It's funny, but because it's the Olympics, I watch and enjoy lots of events that I wouldn't even consider at any other time.

4. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

Um, not for me.

5. RickRS

RickRS Member

Exciting night of short track speed skating in the 1000m. So disappointing that J.R. Celski was disqualified in the quarterfinal. Would have loved to see Apolo Ohno win gold, but lots of excitment seeing him come from behind after he blew in with a mistake in the early laps to grab the Bronze.

Saw a little of J.R. Cleski's skate blade cut in the September US Trials for the first time in the promo videos. They didn't show how it happened, just Cleski sitting in a pool of blood on the ice. Those ice dancing/stepping on feet jokes suddenly didn't seem so funny.

NBC had been talking about Apolo's DwtS win bringing more fans/viewers into short track. Wonder if that's for real? Anybody here watching short track for the first time because they wanted to see what Apolo even better at?

Our other Winter Olympian/DwtS contestant, Louie Vito didn't get on the podium Wednesday. While so much better on a sliding on board than than dancing on the boards, Louie had to settle for fifth in his only event, Snowboard Halfpipe. Shaun White was amazing in his gold metal victory in that event. Wonder how he would do on DwtS? ;)

Still got next Friday's 500 meter short track and the 5000m relay coming up for Apolo.

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

The flying tomato, Shaun White (big bear native!) woo hoo! My family has totally absorbed the sport of Curling! Easy to understand and crosses all ages. DH even went to internet and looked up the rules with informative little video clips. I've never heard so much shouting in the living room!

7. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I start to like watching Cross Country and Biathlon. :D

8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I would SOOOO "settle" for being the 5th best in the world at...well, pretty much anything! ;)
    I'm not saying I wouldn't rather be 1st, but even being on the Olympic team is such an accomplishment! And I say this with a sister who was on the US National Team for swimming, and got a silver medal at the Pan-Pacs in Tokyo right behind Janet Evans, but then narrowly missed making the Olympic team the year that followed.
    Olympians in general impress me.

I have to say that I am one of those who was not familiar with the names of the DWTS olympians until DWTS.

I'm very pleased with the Olympics coverage this time around. There have been several Olympics where the tv coverage has been EXECRABLE. Mawkish package story after mawkish package story. Constant cutting from one sport to another sport just as you were getting into the first sport. (Does anyone else remember what I'm talking about? I think this would have been maybe around the 1998 or 2000 games?) Now the coverage seems a lot more focused on actually covering the sport.

9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I think I'd rather be fifth in the world than second!

I love the winter games (except hockey--you can see the exact same players any time playing the same game) because I get to see all these sports I never see otherwise. Summer Games aren't nearly as interesting.

I love to watch downhill, even though cannot imagine doing it! Luge and skeleton are just a bit too scary at times, though.

10. Zhena

Zhena Well-Known Member

Except last night .... they abruptly cut away from something to get to the end of the US-Canada hockey game ... OK, fine, we saw some exciting hockey ... but they showed only about TWO SECONDS of the game, and then way too much of the team celebrating the win, and the players exiting the ice, and some chit-chat ... bleh! The amount of fluff was totally out of proportion to the amount of substance.

11. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

I read that there is a study about this and actually it shows that often bronze medalists is happier than silver medalists.

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Yeah, the bronze medalists are usually just happy that they medaled, and the silver medalists are just stewing about how they "missed gold by this much!"

13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Scott Hamilton said something about it once, that if you're gold, you're thinking "I won!", if you're bronze, you're thinking "Wow, I'm up here with these guys", and if you're silver you're thinking "If only I had/hadn't done..." (Paging Brian Orser, Brian Orser's second axel to the ice, please...)

Not that I'd know. Weirdly, despite having shown from age 12 to 21, I never came second in a riding event. I have rosettes for every other place, first through sixth, but somehow I never got a second place in anything. Dance, I have a couple from one comp, but there too I tend to miss placing entirely, or get first or third. It's just WEIRD. It annoys the completist in me.

However I think that considering it's the first Olympic medal of any color ever in the history of the sport for the US, the US men's Nordic Combined team will take silver and be very happy about it. (Poor underappreciated Nordic events.)

14. RickRS

RickRS Member

That was a great race for American fans. We got the Readers Digest Condensed version; to be expected with the event most Americans are little interested in, taking 50 minutes to for the leaders to finish the XC race. Bill Demong's attempt to close a 14 second gap in the final leg was awesome, but not as awesome as Austria's crawl from a 36 second delay 3th place spot to a Gold Medal.

Only saw the news replays, but boy, what a blow to Netherland's Sven Kramer, losing a Gold Medal and a Olympic record in Tuesday's 10,000m speed skate because a coach, who lost track of the race, ordered Kramer to do a lane change. :doh:

Women's two man (ladies?) bobsled got scary last night with Germany losing control of the sled. Canada did an impressive 1-2 finish in that event, taking away USA's silver in the last ride.

15. RickRS

RickRS Member

By the way: Ya'll know there isn't any women's ski-jumping events?

Finally penetrated my thick skull when Rachel Maddow mentioned this on her show last week. Apparently there a community of women ski-jumpers and they can't get the time-of-the-day from the Olympic committee when trying to get their events included.

16. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

I heard that too. TOTAL descrimination!! *humph*

17. etp777

etp777 Active Member

18. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I'm not a hockey fan either--but there are some predictions that the imminent Canada-USA game for the gold medal might become the most watched hockey game of all time, PERIOD...

There has been a lot of magic and memories in these Vancouver games--and now they are almost over...

19. dancemominaz

dancemominaz New Member