2012 DF Silent Auction!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by SDsalsaguy, Oct 30, 2012.

1. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

*cracks neck*

Challenge ... accepted!

Seriously though, that's the nice thing about things like this. There are no losers. None at all. :)
  2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

You're right about that!
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Team spirit. Where's the fun in that? We need some friendly competition and humorous trash-talking around here ... just to keep things interesting. ;)
  4. JudeMorrigan

Ok, purely in the interest of friendly competition, let me see if I can't help establish my baking cred. Attached is the only picture I have handy of something I've made. A few points:

- I am SO not a food photographer. It looked better in person.
    - It is very nearly what I would consider unacceptably messy. It tasted fine, but I sliced the cake before it was properly frozen. Given the thick layer of hazelnut cream, it was inevitable that that would end poorly. In my defense, it was late and I was tired.

Basic idea behind the cake, working from memory: make short dough, cut a cake round and cookies, bake. Make almond nd hazelnut paste. Make nut butter. Make sponge cake. And I mean a real sponge cake with no chemical leaveners, given body by the air what was whipped into the eggs. Make hazelnut cream. Make regular whipped cream. Assemble: cake round, nut butter, cake layer, cake syrup, hazenut cream, cake layer, cake syrup, whipped cream. Using forms as guide, dust round of cocoa onto center of cake. Pipe rossetes of whipped cream at edge of each slice, add cookies. Add (valrhona) chocolate shavings. Add toasted almond slices to sides of cake.

Now, sadly, I don't think my cakes would ship well. Hence my going with a batch of the best cookies I've made in the last year. (I wasn't really approaching things from the standpoint of trying to best j_a's limies). But this gives you an idea of the sort of baking that I do. I *can* back my smack talk up.

Attached Files:

5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight. You bake, and you dance. You looking for a GF?

We could always have the Jude/JA Lime Cookie Smackdown, and auction off chances to judge...
    dancelvr, Larinda McRaven and samina like this.
  6. j_alexandra

I feel your pain.
  7. pygmalion

This is such a fabulous idea!

Aside: Why do I have the feeling sami would win?

(No petulant references to last year's Lime Cookie Envy will cross these lips. Nary a one. lol.)
    samina likes this.
  8. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

not into sweets but ye canners and bangle makers are going to be seeing action from me....and thanks to all who have donated thusfar
  9. pygmalion

Ruh-roh. Now the throwdown begins.
  10. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

You know full well, your forcing me to bake a batch just to take a picture and post it...right?
  11. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Frustrating! I logged in for the dance forums auction and now I cannot figure out how to log myself out of it. I logged myself out of dance forums, but that didn't seem to do the trick. Can anyone help?
  12. pygmalion

Yep. That's the idea. *grin*
  13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Another batch of canned goods has been added to the list! :)
  14. JudeMorrigan

Hah! Now that you mention it...

I suspect I'd have to take a similar approach here as the one I'm taking for my next pro-am comp (in silver, eep!): so long as I look like I belong on the floor with the other dancers, I'll be happy. :)
  15. JudeMorrigan

You may note that there is now a picture in my entry. I maaay have had a busy weekend, especially since this wasn't the only baking I did. I meant to take one of them after I glazed them as well, but forgot. I'll see if I can't remedy that tonight. A note: I promise the winner of the batch I make for the auction that your'll be prettier. I did kind of a lousy job keeping my sizing consistent. Not to mention how irregular the pistachio/sugar topping is on some of those cookies.
    3wishes likes this.
  16. j_alexandra

Dear heart, let's talk. As long as you're over 35. A girl's gotta have her standards.

I'm actually intrigued by the whole smackdown thing. How do you suppose we could make it work?
  17. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

At an appointed place and time all participants will bake, I will then taste, and declare the winner! :D
    j_alexandra likes this.
  18. j_alexandra

Tempting. How much are the auction bids?
  19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

This almost sounds like the fund-raiser the Great American Bake Off. Alright Jude,,,,my photo will be posted soon enough...HA!
  20. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

A few more days until bidding starts... keep the great donations coming folks; help support DF!