2012 DF Silent Auction!

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by SDsalsaguy, Oct 30, 2012.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

whenever I have donated an item, I always take care to make the starting price be something that amount to my expense and make a nice contribution to DF...I don't eat sweets but I am very grateful to you Jude for your willingness...I have donated things that no one bid on ...they just weren't what folks were into....and I am a pretty well known entity so I doubt it is personal....I want to thank you and ALL who donated and bid...I bid on everything that I could possibly use...which was quite a few things and am happy to say that I only ended up with one item, so I am very grateful to see how many folks, though they may not be making a public presence, supported DF

2. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, is there a way to know what our items went for in the end? I wasn't able to bid at the last minute.

3. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

You can pm me if you like.

4. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Depending what I'm donating a certain year, sometimes I do this. Other times, however, I recognize that that my donation may be sold at a "loss," but see it as contributing to DF both financially and as a community. :)

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep. It all depends on what's being donated. If you're buying all the ingredients, a batch of cookies plus a profit for DF might be more than people are willing to pay.

6. Debra

Debra Member

Egads . . . Called out by my ballroom sister. (Insert smiley face here). I was lucky enough to win the other brownies which are being gifted to the dark chocolate fiend in the house.

samina, 3wishes and pygmalion like this.
  7. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I have never cared for a profit. I just put up whatever I am able... and let it go for whatever it gets. I have bid on my own items in the past simply because I felt sorry for them, being all lonely at the bottom of the list, kinda like feeling bad for the back left burner on your stove because you always use the front right one. But I understand that simply because an item may not be popular doesn't preclude it from being useful, a thoughtful gift, and the very fact that DF gets money is what it is all about to begin with even if only a few bucks.

This time of year has always been insanely overwhelming for me, I have NEVER been a gift giver, ever. Even as a child/teen, I just couldn't understand the whole christmas gift money spending debt thing... and as an adult I have tried it twice. Both times whith huge amounts of anxiety and stress. I just don't get it. So for me donating something so simple as Wounded Warriors donations, or Heifers.org, is easy... and about as far as I am willing to go even for my family members (step-children have NO idea what is wrong with me!) I also have family ties back to the organization, Wounded Warriors, so there is even more incentive for me.

Anyway, for those of you newer people, yes, right now the great cookie wars may seem intimidating, but years back it was lime green socks that made everyone crazy.... popularity comes and goes.

8. fascination

right, since we are donating, none of us is making a profit, but if someone is going to feel bad about their item going for too low it is always possible to set the beginning bid at a price that one can feel okay about the item going for...I try,when I donate something to strike a balance between making sure it is a good bargain for bidder but that it also reflects the value of the item...

9. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

hmmm, and all I wanted to do was say to "JA" be afraid,.....be very afraid...west coast baker on the rise! heh heh heh. And I never really do look at the prices as I'm more than willing to donate, and whatever it gets, it gets, it's the resulting action that counts in the long run...for me.

10. pygmalion

I love it! Trash talking to the bloody end! *giggle*

And, as I noted a couple pages back, you both can indeed throw down when it comes to baked goods. *nostalgic omm nom nom*

11. hereKittyKitty

hereKittyKitty Administrator Staff Member

Update: Despite my cats climbing/jumping in and out of the Christmas tree I have managed to pm everyone :) So all notices have been sent out for the winning bids...and the tree is still standing!
    Super heartfelt thanks to everyone who donated (whether your item was bid on or not) and to those who bid. Your generosity is what makes Dance Forums such a special place. We really appreciate you guys and promise to work hard in 2013!

12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Me, too! I bid on several things, so I'm excited to see what I won. :p

13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Uhmmm....think I might be the guilty party here for the crackle top brownies...I don't want to cause any family problems for you....:oops:

3wishes likes this.
  14. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

While I absolute agree that I should have set my initial bid on my cookies higher, I feel like I should clarify: when I say that my motive for bidding on my own item was largely that it seemed to make sense financially for me to do so, I absolutely do not mean that I was worried about making a profit, per se. Rather, it was far more about "well, heck, I can do more to support DF by just bidding myself". And I consider this place well worth supporting. Had Pygmalion not stepped up to the plate, I really wouldn't have had a problem with making a de facto direct donation to the board in lieu of cookies.

samina and Purr like this.
  15. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Totally understood JM!

16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

No worries Purr, my family gives me a hard time ALWAYS, note: DD called from Texas, "mom, when you come can you bring?? cause I want to throw a Christmas Party, DH replies to DD for me in this manner, I'm not carrying the baked goods in the car because they will never make it to Austin! lol"
    If you did win, I'm sure I'll get a PM - I just haven't gotten one yet for name and address. Patience, patience patience. wink

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

My thinking was similar. It's still a donation, either way one looks at it. :)

18. fascination

19. pygmalion

Yes. But cookies come with bragging rights for next year. ;)

20. pygmalion

It's a shame that so many DFers are such busy people. In the past, some organizations I've worked with IRL have had some killer profitable silent auctions when members went into the community and solicited donations, then the members of the group bid on items that were acquired essentially free.

Oh well.

My take? I am really impressed with the level of engagement and participation of the folks here. This is a community filled with really nice people.