2013 MAC

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Daphna, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Milen

Milen Member

As a spectator I loved the new venue. I hope they stay there.

Pros:
    • Easy access to different rooms as all is on one floor
    • No wait for an elevator or stairs to climb as at old venue
    • Real sunlight
    • Great view of the river
    • Very good value of the tickets. I was surprised that the prices weren't higher
    • Comp ran on time and organization was excellent as always. I was expecting minor problems as they get used to the new venue
    • The proximity of the practice floor to the real floor and the concession stand is probably a big plus for competitors.
    • There's a coat check on the way to the floor. I don't remember there being a coat check on the way to the floor at the old venue.
    • Better backgrounds for picture taking
    • The projector screen was right next to the VIP tables so it was really easy to see what's coming next
    • The floor and screen were also visible from the VIP reception area, so you could keep track of the comp, while enjoying the comfort provided there, without having to endure all of the noise of the comp. It was great for taking a break from the noise and excitement of it all
    • The VIP reception is closer to the tables at the new venue compared to the old. Also there were real waiters this time and dedicated staff to pouring drinks and carrying food
    • The catering provided was much better than before. It was good before but now it exceeded all expectations
    Cons
    • During the Friday evening session the room with the dance floor was freezing. You could see the audience and judges wearing their winter coats. On Saturday it seemed better but I still heard some people complain. Perhaps it was outside of the organizers' control at the time and the venue management just screwed things up.
    • Compared to the old location, the subway is a bit farther away, so there's more walking. Not really a problem for me but for some it probably is. Also cabs get confused on how to enter venue. I should remember to read the directions next time.
  2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Pros:

no mold!

elegant surroundings and EASY parking for us folks who traveled in by car

Vendors easy to access, well lighted

Cons:

none that are really 'deal breakers'... but...

small floor, no long wall access to seating, the amazing dip in the floor on one corner

Even for the pro photographer with his own flash, the room was underlit, and even Ryan's photos suffered (and he is an awesome photographer!). Photos and vids from the sidelines were murky.

No chairs in dressing area
  3. Milen

Milen Member

Was that the far/middle left side from the MC? I saw a bunch of people having trouble there, slipping and/or losing balance.

As for the light, I noticed that they could light it more when they were experimenting with the lighting, so this will probably be fixed for next year. However compared with other comps I've been to the lights weren't worse, judging by how my videos turned out.
  4. Bailamosdance

Yes, that was where it was! It's possible that the pier was damaged from Sandy? Anyway, one Standard lead mentioned that he looked forward to using that corner for a slide lol...

My 'cons' are minor, for sure, and the lighting of course is easily solved. Overall, as always, the NY USA Dance Chapter puts on the killer comp! When will the MAC host a World event? Or a National Champ event?
    jerseydancer likes this.
  5. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Sounds like the new venue was a hit, other than a couple minor road bumps like the heating.

I'm curious about how the shuttle back and forth to the official hotel went. If the comp stays at this venue, do you think it's okay to rely on the shuttle or would you recommend a car.
    (I often park in NJ and take NJ Transit in to the city. That was my absolute favorite thing about the old venue: could not be more convenient to Penn Station! But there are always trade offs.)
  6. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

I for one did not like the new venue. Aside from the terrain (floor), temperature (was freezing in the on-deck area even as a competitor) and poor lighting (natural light not good for comp/performance), the venue just did not have the feel and character of the MAC. it felt just like any regional (except with higher entries) and the ballroom was too small. I hope its back to the old more historic ballroom next year with high ceilings and balconies, etc.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

NYC in jan with a heating problem!!! PAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!:eek:
  8. Bailamosdance

The heat was fine. The wall near the lineup area had windows that were a little drafty, as they would be anywhere. The solution seemed to be simple and was in place on Saturday... Pulling the cuRtains down....
  9. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I hadn't been to a MAC in recent years (last time for me it was still in the Columbia location), but I think the venue worked very well.

Some minor things:
    1) the practice room guard on Saturday was being extremely inconsistent and badgering to competitors. Early in the day he gave me a hard time for not having my wrist band on. When I explained I was a competitor he asked for me ticket. I should him that, but he said that didn't count I needed my wrist band or number. (all my stuff was already in the the changing room and I had stepped out to use the rest room, he hadn't given me the extreme treatment when I came in before). Eventually he let me in. This continued throughout the day, even if I was in competition attire and with my number and carrying the ticket. (On friday it was no problem, ticket or number (or lady in gown) was always enough)

2) Please, find some way to keep the mothers, and partners of youth competitors out of the men's changing room. I've almost gotten used to having to accept that these 16 yos seem to need their moms to get dressed, and I can generally ignore them and they ignore all the guys changing, but keep the 14-16yo girls out of the men's changing room.

3) Don't have something like 4 shoe vendors all selling the same brands of shoes. Its not like with dresses where four vendors offer tremendous variety, here you just had the same shoes and vendors glaring at each other.
  10. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

The heat was fine. The wall near the lineup area had windows that were a little drafty, as they would be anywhere. The solution seemed to be simple and was in place on Saturday... Pulling the cuRtains down....

LOL lo tech always works best!!
  11. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

It was drafty there because they had a cable coming in through the door so there was a slight crack as the door didn't close completely.
  12. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Disclaimer: this was my first time competing MAC, I attended a couple years ago as a spectator.

Pros:
    Area outside the ballroom was nicer- one floor, tables to sit at, vender area was nice and accessible
    The natural light and view from the ballroom was great

Cons:
    On deck area was freezing, even Saturday night
    Venue was a long, cold, windy walk from any subway stops
    To get to the on deck area you had to either leave the ballroom or walk across the floor
    Floor was small, made smaller by the judges all standing on one long side
  13. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Love everyone's comments, please keep them coming. We really need to hear about the pro's and con's of the venue and the general operation of the MAC. Also, next time there is a problem with one of the staff working the comp, regardless of who it is please come find one of the organizers so that we can speak to the person in question and correct the situation. We really want everyone to have a great time and the only thing that should detract from the experience is, maybe, your placement in the events (that we can't control - can't get the judges to give you a better placement, sorry.)
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

But you might be able to influence the CoJ to place the judges better.

IMO the CoJ fell down on the job in allowing the judges to stand in front of the dais, reducing the usable width of the floor. The floor was the minimum regulation 36' width, but having judges stand on one row of panels essentially reduced it to below minimum. Supposedly it was longer than the old space, but the extra length wasn't as useful as extra width would have been. There were 3 or 4 judges who stood just off the floor on the other three sides, but the majority were along the dais.
  15. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Shuttle was fine. $5 ride in each direction. Ran about every 20-30 minutes. Dunno what happened to the folks trying to catch it after the last event Sat nite, though, since the comp ran at least 30 min late.
  16. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Larinda McRaven likes this.
  17. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

Has anyone figured out what happened with PreChamp Standard results? We're still not really sure if we were first or second (we were announced 1st but o2cm results say 2nd).... I was slightly late for the awards presentation (oops!), but the results announced for each dance (so I was told...) didn't match what is now posted on the o2cm website. I wouldn't really raise a fuss about it, but I want to be sure it's an isolated quirk and not a bigger problem. Kayla did mention the problem to an official when we noticed it Saturday evening. They then did a few general dances where I'm guessing they ironed out the bugs.
  18. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Almost 8000 photos is slow? ;) Nice galleries. :)
  19. muyv

muyv Member

I have to say that as a competitor, I prefer the old location better.

The deal breaker for me is that the floor is much smaller than the previous years. Making those heats with more than 12 couples very chaotic. Also having to walk all the way to 11th Ave to catch a cab at 1am in January NYC is not fun. It is quite far away from the subway, at least a good 15 minutes walk. Not ideal.

Other than these, it was actually a beautiful location. And there is a decent size practice floor!
    If only the comp floor can be bigger (especially the short side), but I don't see how it is possible.

But it was a well run comp, as it has been. Thanks for all the hard work!
  20. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

Please, find some way to keep the parents of all the dancers who are in their teens and older away from dressing rooms, period. They step all over other dancers dresses and shoes, they use hair spray without even looking, if anyone is around, they use tanning spray without any consideration that other dancers costumes may get dirty from that. The parents behave worse than kids. Anyone older than 13 should be able to dress up on their own. This actually goes for all NQEs, but NY and NJ parents won this year the worse behaved parents award.