2013 MAC

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Daphna, Sep 23, 2012.

1. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

Overall, the competition was great! Very well organized. Beautiful location. Big plus was the proximity of the dressing rooms, to practice rooms, to competition floor, to food stand. I think, also vendor location was selected very well.

2. jerseydancer

I am not sure that the length of the floor bothered us more that the square floor at Carolina Classic. I think, it depends what one got used to. I will always take longer floor over the short and square.

3. jerseydancer

As the competitor, I loved the fact that it was chilly on the competition floor. In winter, the heat creates very dry air and makes it hard to breathe. I would rather wear warm robe between the heats, than choke for air between the dances. I also understand, that the judges were freezing, may be we can find a middle ground.

4. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

Who's the brainiac who came up with the idea to make competitors wear wristbands? Big Fail!

jerseydancer and smidra86 like this.
  5. syncopationator

syncopationator Active Member

I've decided that next time I'm going to beat them at their own game. I'm just going to get completely naked and hang out as close to them as possible... But in all seriousness please do something about this. I'm sure if my father was hanging out in the ladies changing room this problem would have been addressed long ago.

smidra86 likes this.
  6. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Re: parents, we have been dealing with this forever, I will be cutting and pasting your comments onto the JADA page (ballroom parents Facebook page) and hopefully will get some suggestions & help from them. Keep the comments coming.

Jane Rexroad likes this.
  7. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Playing Devil's advocate here - what is wrong with communal changing areas? Yes, mothers are annoying etc but everywhere else in the dance world this is a non issue. A communal area would give us all more room. And seriously, I see more skin online when the Kardashians are photographed on the beach than I do in a changing room...

Maybe a communal changing area for everyone, and a screen to hide behind and disrobe for those who have body issues?

8. Jane Rexroad

Jane Rexroad New Member

Screens are portable and could offer a modicum of modesty.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  9. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

I was saying slow because I was checking the pics as they were going up and obviously looking for myself meanwhile so it felt slow because I had to keep refreshing as new ones came in.

10. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Re: parents,

I think they have problems with spending more money. They are ok with spending all of it on the dancing, the lessons, the entry fees, but I noticed when I was on security detail at nationals they refused to get tickets to go into the ballroom and continuously tried the excuse, "but my kid is dancing" to get in. Needless to say, I was pretty ruthless while on security detail and really wouldn't let anyone without a pass through, and that included Tal Livshitz. :p It is necessary to have someone also as ruthless to keep the wrong people from going into the dressing rooms, honestly.

11. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

The video above shows why natural lighting is not good for a comp/performance. And if you go search through Ryan's pics throughout the day, then you can see that I think he had a bit of a hard time getting the lighting just right for the daytime session pics, especially when the sun was setting etc.

I do wish the comp would go back to the old venue. I've never been to MAC before, this was my first year, and I just expected it to be much grander. I had gone to Mid-Atlantic last year, and with the giant ceilings and ballroom, it just felt so much more regal, and I expected the same from MAC from pictures of previous years that I had seen. I guess it was somewhat smaller than previous years but the venue made me feel like it was small, even during the evening session when it was all mostly filled.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  12. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I chatted with Ryan throughout the day and he showed me different pictures and the different conditions he was working with throughout the day -- the natural light was definitely an obstacle, especially with intermittent cloud cover and the need to change his camera settings nearly every five minutes.

In the interest of fairness with the video-ing, the area in which my friend was seated when he got this video got a view of most of the windows on the right side. If he had been sitting closer to the dais or the callback screen during the daylight sessions, the video would probably have looked completely different. My Rhythm vids from Saturday night look completely different.

Also, just chatting with volunteers, the sunlight was nice and refreshing -- in past years as a volunteer, you enter the Manhattan Center when it's dark in the morning, leave when it's dark at night, and have no conception of time or daylight or freshness in between after being inside for the entire day.

13. dlliba10

Also, in the interest of fairness, MAC was held at Roone Arledge up at Columbia as recently as a few years ago. I'd argue that that seems a bit less regal and smaller than the Grand Ballroom at the Manhattan Center too.

14. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Yes, it might be the positioning of where the video was taken (you even said that your rhythm vids were taken in the evening, so that doesn't really affect this because it is all the regular lights being used during that time and not natural lighting), but notice on the floor, only some parts are lit up by the sun through the windows. When the dancing is occurring that could make a dancer look good or bad in the judges eyes. On top of which it could also be blinding to the judges, which is why most of them stood on the one side with the sun to their back because they couldn't see properly if they stood anywhere else.

Also, I feel that the competition is more about the dancers and not the volunteers. I appreciate everything and all the hard work the volunteers put into the comp to make it run as smooth as possible and all their sleepless nights and those that are inside helping out all day long but the venue/lighting should make the competitors feel/look good not the volunteers, IMO.

15. jerseydancer

We are talking about parents/teens here. And the biggest issue is not a body issue, but the fact that parents of teens have no need to be in dressing rooms, if the teens cannot dress themselves, they need to go back to kindergarden to learn how to dress.

16. Akita

Akita Active Member

I wasn't at the MAC, but I second your observation on the appalling behavior of dance parents as evidenced at this year's Nationals in Baltimore last April. And yes, the vast majority seemed to originate from NY and NJ.

17. Boston Dance Dad

Boston Dance Dad New Member

I would disagree on this issue at the MAC or any other competition. I have seen adult competitors getting help with their costumes from coaches, partners, spouses, etc. so I do not think that there is a need to ban parents from the dressing rooms. However I do believe that there are some, not the vast majority, but a sizable minority who need lessons on manners. They do step on other people's clothes, spray hairspray & self tanner without abandon, move other peoples stuff off hangers and put it on the floor so they can have the limited space, but I have no idea how to retrain them to develop these simple manners.

With respect to my impression about MAC I liked the new venue, it is cleaner and more welcoming then getting stuffed into a box elevator for a ride up 8 floors. The dressing rooms were larger but should have had more racks to hang clothes, not just the one and some chairs as well. The practice floor was nice, but the competition floor was described to me as "mountainous" with each square dipping up and down when they stepped on it. The vendors had a great location and were accessible, unlike the old location. The food options should have included something more substantial but for quick grabs it was OK. Overall I had a lot more fun this year then previous years and this time I left saying I would be back.

18. dlliba10

I may be a bit biased when talking about a volunteer's point of view ... No idea why. ;) I do agree with your points though.

19. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Maybe parents need need a special armband to get into the practice and dressing area... For an extra fee.

20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Hear hear!