2013 MAC

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Daphna, Sep 23, 2012.

1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Page 8 of the MAC program: "There is to be no flash of any sort used during this event, except as authorized by the organizers."

2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Got it... it's to protect the commercial vendor, I guess. Too bad since the lighting meant bad videos as well..

Purl likes this.
  3. Milen

Milen Member

Most of the time YouTube helps a lot with fixing the bad videos, especially if you have a lot of them. Sometimes you end up with weird colors though. I still haven't fixed all of mine.

4. Bailamosdance

I wish that was the case, but the original video is always much higher resolution than Youtube, and also you can't change the lighting, just perhaps contrast and exposure. Good lighting is important period...

5. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

If your camera and/or camcorder allow you to set the exposure manually, it would really be useful to learn how to use that functionality especially in difficult lighting conditions like MAC during the daytime. You only have so much dynamic range to play with before your photos/videos lose information (shadows or highlights). In conditions like MAC with those windows, you would be able to choose which area you wanted to expose for. For point and shoots in dark ballrooms, it's a good idea to purposely underexpose by 2 stops if you're going for the dark areas and bump it up in a post-processing software.

6. Bailamosdance

The issue is that in comparison to the other venue, the lighting was not really very conducive to photography or videos, it's not about the inability to adjust camera settings....

7. elle

elle Member

Does anyone know the dates of MAC 2014 in January? Or when will they be known for sure? Thank you!

8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Thus far, it has always been MLK weekend.

9. elle

elle Member

Thank you. The same day as UK Open in 2014...

10. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Well actually UK Open starts two days after MAC...

11. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

ICYMI, MAC 2014 will be January 17-19, back in the Grand Ballroom at the Manhattan Center!

12. elle

elle Member

Dlliba10, thank you for the update!

13. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

Anyone know when we will know the schedule (approximate?) Do you think it will be similar to the 2013 schedule, even though it was in a different location? I know they switched it up in recent years...

(switched up the schedule)

14. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

The schedule will likely be similar to last years, however we have a couple of open threads to tie down before we can finalize and announce.

5678dance likes this.
  15. 5678dance

5678dance Active Member

16. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

Please note - similar, there will almost certainly be some tweaks and changes.

17. elle

elle Member

Does anyone know when the schedule of MAC 2014 will be confirmed and posted? Thank you!

18. stash

stash Well-Known Member

It's not usually confirmed until the weeks leading up to the competition as the entries need to be tallied to have a feel of how many rounds need to be run for each level and category. Usually and priliminary schedule goes up a month before the comp I think.

19. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

We are trying to finalize now. We will know & release what events are in what sessions as we open registration shortly.

5678dance likes this.
  20. middy

middy Well-Known Member

Can we start a MAC 2014 thread?