2013 MAC

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Daphna, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Jananananana

Jananananana Active Member

Daphna, you always see my dresses. If I remember correctly, you've even made some creative suggestions on how to improve my dresses to be more USA Dance compliant ;)
  2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Where is the listing for adjudicators and officials? Will we be seeing some fresh new faces in 2013?
  3. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Once we have a full listing and have signed contracts back we will be posting the list of officials. Not sure who you'd consider "new faces" but we have asked some new people, just don't know if they can make it.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  4. Bailamosdance

Thanx... I know the rule is posting these 30 days before the comp but hoped to see them a bit sooner..
  5. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Actually, that's an NDCA rule, USA Dance doesn't have a rule about when we need to post the officials. We always try to post as far in advance as possible as of right now, we are still waiting to hear from a couple of people.
  6. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Actually...

5.5.1 An organizer of a DanceSport Council sanctioned event which is not a national championship, protected competition, or international event shall furnish to the DanceSport Council and shall make available to inquiring parties the list of qualified adjudicators at least sixty (60) days prior to the event. The DanceSport Council shall retain final rights of approval on the adjudicating panel for national, international, and protected competition events. This may be appealed to the USA Dance Executive Committee.
  7. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

True, usually we've all taken that to mean that we need to send the list of potential judges to the DSC to make sure that they all have the correct qualifications. Since we needed to wait until we had a location everything is a little behind schedule, including the posting of the officials. Sorry, it will be posted as soon as we have a complete list.
  8. Bailamosdance

D, that may be why entries are so slow..
  9. Jananananana

Hmm, I have a feeling the entries are slow because the prices are a bit higher this year and people are hesitant about registering before the holidays (which can get expensive.)

Although, I am sure it will be a very full competition this year. I'm already in a full semi and a full final for my events and registration deadline is still three weeks away.
  10. Bailamosdance

Anyone who chooses events etc based on a difference of a few dollars is not that serious about their dancing, IMHO. One less coaching lesson will cover the extra costs of the MAC, for instance, for many dancers. Yes, choosing not to go to a comp due to a significant increase in price is real to me, but not in the case of the MAC. Yes, there is relativity over what a 'few dollars' is but the price has certainly not doubled.

To digress - a local social, a few years ago, increased their price by $2. A few folks said they would rather stay home than pay the extra $. I imagine there are a few crazies who would give up an entire evening of dancing for $2, but seriously, really?
  11. Jananananana

Whoa there, I was just pointing out that may be a possible reason. No reason to judge anyone.
    melodypond likes this.
  12. Bailamosdance

just continuing the conversation - no offense meant. You were the one that brought up finances - and I do agree with you that many folks are looking at the timeline of their spending and seeing that entering nearer the deadline lets their disposable cash stay with them longer. The higher prices, tho, I do feel are a nonissue.
  13. Jananananana

Yes, I guess you're right. I don't think people look at it in terms of a difference from year to year, say, "Oh, it's only $10 more" I think they look at the cost and see it as a whole. There's a threshold between what one considers "normal" competition cost and "more expensive" competition cost. MAC is a great comp and a very expensive one to run. However, cost for registration and whether someone will purchase it is based on their value of the registration and it could very much be that people are on the other side of the threshold and seeing the MAC as a "more expensive" comp.

Needless to say, I'm still registered and pumped and ready to go.
  14. Milen

Milen Member

Just ordered my tickets to watch. I can't wait :)
    Jananananana and Bailamosdance like this.
  15. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Just looked at the entry list. Barfing out of nerves. Oh my goodness.
    Larinda McRaven and Jananananana like this.
  16. ACtenDance

ACtenDance Active Member

There seem to be a lot of people missing in Championship Standard and Latin. Do couples usually skip MAC when UK is the week before? In any case, I'll be there again this year!

Any word on if there will be a shuttle from the hotel?
  17. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

The very top tier of the Champ Standard and Latin usually skip the MAC because of the UK :( But we look at this as a great opportunity for the next tier of couples to get seen and to make their mark with the judges.

We are currently working on getting shuttle service from the hotel to the pier and back. Once its set up we will be posting the details.
    Jananananana likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

same if you choose based on the judging panel IMHO​
  19. Bailamosdance

I think a lot of dance couples look at the judging panel to determine if the comp is realistic and whether the comp will have judging that fits the goals of the couple. For instance, a comp that is top heavy with American style judges will not be as attractive to Standard couples, for instance. Some comps work with the same judges every time and that is also a problem. A comp that consistently decides on their panel based on whoever is easiest to get etc is also suspect if you are looking for judges with a good eye, who may not be so easily gotten for instance. Finally, there are a few comps that we find call for judges the week of the competition, which is very telling.
  20. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

To be fair, sometimes a judge who had committed to your comp cancels on you at the last moment.