2013 USA Dance Nationals - LA

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

change this to drive to west LA visit the getty museum and dine in westwood or beverly hills

LA version!! and thanks for the tip!! ill do that next year as i attend every year regardless of coast:) or cost
  2. Mr 4 styles

sooo ..you arent coming to LA??
  3. Mr 4 styles

is not... its 14 miles to westwood and 22 to the beach roughly
  4. Mr 4 styles

MMUUAHHHHHHH DEBMC MAD LIKE FOR YOU!!!
    debmc likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

what she said!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. Mr 4 styles

NOBU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! awesome!!!
  7. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

22 miles to a beach is an hour for travel alone.
  8. Mr 4 styles

not during midday or in the evening or weekends

lived there 26 years drove to downtown LA from santa monica VEERYYYY often
  9. Bailamosdance

We may go but not for the off time. Spending hundreds on car rentals and taking all that time for driving is a nonstarter for us. FYI, my grown son lives in LA and even he told us not to think about driving since traffic patterns can be unpredictable and painful. We dance, then drive an hour for a dinner?
  10. Mr 4 styles

LOL clearly i drove/drive a lot more there than he perhaps as i could set my watch to my travel times but i grew up driving in LA so i know every little nuance ( alternate routes etc)

do that every year at emerald!! but im a foodie so a nice drive on PCH and a 6 course meal at NOBU is heaven for me... no room service here!!
  11. Mr 4 styles

Nobu is worth it well to a foodie like me it is
  12. Bailamosdance

I think that finding someplace really easy to get to, within walking distance, open late (we compete late) is the need here. I live in the NYC area and have many fine dining experiences here to choose from, but that is not why we go to a competition...
  13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Mr 4 Styles! I lived in Santa Monica and worked downtown... as long as it is not during rush hour traffic, it is a quick and easy drive on the highways. Time your meals for during rush hour traffic. It is not hundreds for a car rental..... especially if you are just renting for a day or two and sharing the rental with others.
  14. Bailamosdance

In NYC, we take public transportation and walk everywhere. It is a lot more fun than driving, for me anyway...
  15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

Bailamos, you can't look at LA through NYC eyes, NYC is obviously better with public transportation.

What you get in LA is beautiful weather, sunshine, palm trees, and fabulous ocean views, and a Southern California vibe.
  16. Bailamosdance

Yes of course, and I LOVE LA. Just not loving being at LA Live with no options for food or entertainment ala walking experiences for the time we are in LA. Vacation, or visiting my son? No prob.
  17. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

There are definitely some inexpensive cheap eateries around, but you might need more than a "between heats" amount of time to walk even 2-3 blocks!

I haven't been to L.A. since January 2011, but I recommend checking out Figat7th (near the intersection of Figueroa and 7th), which was about halfway done when I was there and looks like it is even better now. Lots of affordable places to eat and a nice farmer's market! I picked up several oranges there that were so fresh off the vine there were still leaves attached and they were absolutely bursting with flavor. (I am a huge citrus fruit addict, so this was sheer heaven to me.)

If you want to go out sightseeing, I agree, renting a car and driving in L.A. is not all that appealing if you are only there for a long weekend. I would do a bus tour...or if budget permits, a limo tour.
  18. Bailamosdance

IMHO San Jose Nationals had all of that PLUS walkable lifestyle AND low prices...
    jerseydancer likes this.
  19. Bailamosdance

Nothing worse than weekend hotel food and service. $18 hamburgers....
  20. Akita

Akita Active Member

It's humorous reading the residents of east coast and west big cities castigate the other coast and sing the praises of their own city. LA, NY, Baltimore, DC? I think you're all brainwashed as I find little difference between all of them! Considering the taxes, traffic, crowds, cost-of-living and local nutty politicians who come up with incredibly fruitcake local laws, no wonder so many big-city residents are looney. ;) I've been to all of em and no way on God's green earth I'd live in any of them .... My home is on a mountain on 10 acres (in the city limits no less!) where rush hour in a city of 250,000 is having to slow down to 50 mph on the freeway. I see wild deer virtually every night on the neighborhood lawns, fox, and bobcat. It's dark enough at night to actually see the stars in all their magnificence. I don't hear dogs barking, horns honking or neighbors flushing toilets as I lay down to sleep.

All the convenience of a east/west coast big city but with none of the crime, traffic, smog and lunacy.

Ahhhhhhhh ..........:)

ps - lest you think I live in Podunk, Nowhere, we have several competitive USA Dance couples who live locally and have won several recent national championships. :D In fact, one of the visiting coaches who comes from Atlanta asked if there's something in the water here.
    smidra86 likes this.