2013 USA Dance Nationals - LA

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I guess a few hours spent in a rental car on the day of competition equals stiff joints. I'm fine I'm fine to enjoy the scenery and make an excursion but it's a little easier if it's walkable or a few minutes away. Plus, the expense of having a car through daily rental parking at the hotel all adds up pretty quick. Also it's not like we just run out of the room and jump on the floor, we have quite a preparation schedule and we need to also be in the ballroon an hour to an hour and a half before, so in that 2 1/2 hours of preparation etc. makes the day very short. We were told somebody from the California chapter was going to make arrangements for us for local food and suggestions and possibly an excursion. We'll see how that develops...
    jerseydancer likes this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

yes im aware of that as we do the same....
    nothing 30 minutes of Rodney Yee cant fix

our pre heat ritual involes thirty minutes of yoga...shower dress downstairs for practice usually 30 minutes per style to a nice gentle lather in the ballroom one hr early to be ready get the energy up listen to music choices tempi etc.. wife continues to stretch through out this. im usually doing some pleio in the corner and stretching so that all starts about 3 hrs before we dance
  3. Bailamosdance

...So you see that it is incompatible with 2 hour car journeys. Factor in sleep time in the morning, the need to be composed, and the stress of driving, and there you have it. The hotel charges for parking daily, rental for 5 days days is in the hundreds alone, and with rental for another $200 it makes it quite expensive just to use to get to a restaurant...
    jerseydancer likes this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

you dance at 9 pm

so long as you are in your room by 5 its no prob

i had you back by 4 for a one hr power nap

and it was a day excursion not just a trip to a restaurant

the bottom line is the opportunities are virtually identical in Bmore and LA

sounds good.... lived in LA 26 years so ill still do my own arragements ... but have fun!!!
  5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ok, here I go, just my 2 cents from working "downtown" and I do mean...downtown City Hall for lots of years and years.
    The Staple Center is right there. Tons of entertainment value...within walking distance.
    The Grammy's Museum...easy enough to get to...probably a DASH bus for a whopping 50 cent one way...
    To get around town without a car. Plenty of Taxis...and the City's own DASH shuttle bus...there are various routes that will take you various places...on for 50cents...off when you decide to step off. Check which route you might want to travel...all are routes that are 15-20 minutes travel away/one way with lights and such from your venue to the Financial district, Chinatown, JapanTown, KoreaTown, The Fabric/Garment District/Jewerly District, Restaurants on Bunker Hill.(again check the web for DASH routes.(there are some truly fabulous new venues with the view from the roof/bar) and up and coming chefs, Disney Concert Hall, Ahmanson Theater, Music Center, etc.
    The RedLine...this is an extraordinary fast subway system...I do mean fast...that also has multiple stations around downtown and will take you out as far as Universal Studios, the Pantages Theater Hollywood, downtown Sunset Blvd in Hollywood is always a hoot, and if you can get into the Magic Castle (you have to know a magician for a ticket)it's a great place, etc etc. Check the web for information.
    The BlueLine Train - will take you to Long Beach...also route and infor available on the web.
    Be aware in downtown there are lots and lots of special events that block the streets or parking lots...so check about a week before your event at the Inside LA City web site to see what might be going on...like a marathon...near Staples Center (not saying there is one,it's just an example), or general road construction.
    "Sauce" the restaurant in Venice Beach is actually quite good, as is Gladstones (primarily seafood) in Malibu on the beach and quite casual.
    If LAX does not work for a person, there is always Burbank (really close to downtown actually), and then Long Beach (big fan of Jet Blue).
    Just a few thoughts,,,not that I don't have any....
    debmc likes this.
  6. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

;)
  7. jerseydancer

you left out the time on make up and hair
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  8. jerseydancer

All these car rental and taxi suggestions sound to be too much hustle that add up to cost and stress. Is there anything within walking distance? One thing is to drive where you are familiar with all back roads and totally different thing is trying to figure out your way around in unfamiliar area. I understand, you live in LA and love LA, we - most east coasters are not big fans of it. San Francisco, yes, San Jose, yes, but LA, common, who wants to go there for vacation? Been there, have not seen anything amazing. Traffic, bad air, earthquakes, and tall walls around the houses. And for food and entertainment, nothing that we do not have in NYC:)
  9. jerseydancer

where is Podunk?
  10. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Exactly. ;)

Don't you folks bring earplugs when you travel?
  11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ok, no one "wants" to vacation in a city of 465 square miles, so here's a few thoughts,
    The Dash Bus will take you "route d" or "route b" (there are 6 inner city routes,,,that circle back to start)
    to City Hall, the Observation Deck in the VERY TOP - is free to the public, great views from 25 stories up,bring your I.D. to get through Security on the first or second floor (oh I did say the word "free").
    Typically there is also an art display on the glass bridge between City Hall and City Hall East. Walk 5 minutes to
    Olvera Street and tour the first mission in Los Angeles and where the 2nd largest city in the U.S. started The El Pubelo State Historic Park Monument consists of the Plaza, Olvera Street, the Church, the Pico Building, Fire Station Museum, and several other historic buildings and museums (that are free to the public) and have something to eat there or go the other way and head off to "J" Town as it's called for Sushi - or curry based dishes in an up and coming Urban setting. Caters mostly to the lunch crowd of worker bees.
    Also "free" is the self-guided tour of the Disney Concert Hall. Pick up one of those head/phone audio tours,,,and there is a self/serve cafe inside the Concert Hall as well as an outside garden that offers great photo opps. Allow 2-3 hours. And it is literally across the street from the Music Center famous for previous Oscar Award ceremonies.
    Then there is the Standard Hotel - Check out the Rooftop Bar at the Standard Hotel for cool views!!!!
    If you have a vehicle there is the "free" Nethercutt" Car Collection, these are the cars of 3/4 generations ago (also on the web) curators/guides are free to walk with you...this is truly an amazing collection of the founders/owners of the Merle Norman Cosmetics empire.
    And of course there is always the Getty.
    The Griffith Observatory is free and so is parking. Besides being a must see place on the list for any James Dean fan as "Rebel Without A Cause" was filmed at the observatory, it has beautiful views of the Hollywood sign and the L.A. area and the nighttime viewing based on a clear evening is spectacular-worth the wait in line. There are hiking trails for those that like daytime adventures.
    There is also the Angels Flight, the Wells Fargo museum, Grand Park.

LA rush hour,,,can be difficult...but seems less daunting than New York or even Newark (I'm a true Jersey girl by the way). There are lots of car pool lanes that only require 2 people/ while the San Bernardino Fwy requires 3 and is now moving to a "fast pass tag" option.
    debmc likes this.
  12. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

We have arranged for a special discount with the Aquarium of the Pacific for all attendees of Nationals. The discount coupons will be available in the program and also at the USA Dance Hospitality Booth. See you all soon.
  13. Mr 4 styles

there was an hour an a half in there for that... not enough??:eek:

she wont wear them they are uncomfortable for her

FUN havnt been there in awhile DAPHNA ROCKS AGAIN
  14. Bailamosdance

Daphna, hopefully the local chapter can put all these discounts and ideas onto the Nationals site.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  15. Dancebug

Dancebug Active Member

I would like to see a list with dance studios who will accommodate dancers who would like to practice.
  16. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

If your wife is not an earplugs fan, I am a HUGE fan of white noise.
    -Ambulances? Partying in room next door? Shwwwwwssssshhhhh. Blissful quiet. We sometimes carry a travel white noise machine, and there is also an app for white noise, pink noise, grey noise, etc. (No, I cannot explain what the difference between them is! They are various different noise cancellation sounds.)

We even use it at home, for which we get mocked by my sister because according to her, we live in "the quietest neighborhood imaginable." I don't think she's factoring things in like how cats sometimes get their second wind right around human bedtime....
    NonieS likes this.
  17. Akita

Akita Active Member

If you have an iphone there are several good apps that provide noise to sleep by - can choose from white noise, rain, thunderstorms, babbling brook, wind, etc. I use it all the time in noisy hotels. But let me hasten to add that NOTHING short of total deafness will mask the ambulances in Baltimore.
    NonieS and Mr 4 styles like this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

correct

and babbling brook just makes me want to pee:eek:;)
    NonieS likes this.
  19. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I think I'd get over the discomfort of earplugs if it meant actually getting any sleep.
  20. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

My Mom wears big bulky headphones which make a white noise sound. I imagine it's weird the first night, but she's gotten used to it.