2013 USA Dance Nationals - LA

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

not a fan of pro /pro in usa dance bad enough that some "pros" dance am /am and get away with it

2. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to it. Many of our amateurs are easily better than the pros (and after all, turning pro is simply a declaration and not a skill level lol). Lets see what pros show up to compete against our best ams...

jerseydancer likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

of couse i understand that that is apparent everywhere you go

but do you want to dance salsa against emmauel and liana ??

i bet none as there is no purse( i think)

4. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Thanks to the administrators for combining all of the threads :) even if right now its a little disjointed ;)

5. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Am working on a purse, won't be huge but hopefully it will be something, and before I hear the yells asking "and what about everyone else who has supported USA Dance for so long" am working on that also.

6. Mr 4 styles

no purse!!! let the "pros" dance for the love of it like we do!!!!!

jerseydancer likes this.
  7. Mr 4 styles

who needs a purse!! the reward of winning the salsa comp is vast!!

you get to travel to the 11th ranked murder capital of south america ( caracas is number one btw)

on the bright side the cali style of salsa is a blast so you can learn it if you dont know any

hint : no dile que no por favor

some "humor" intended;)

8. twothreefourone

twothreefourone Active Member

I love this couple! To dance in the same round as them? That'd be exciting (and very nerve-wracking) :p

9. Bailamosdance

USA Dance loves 'stars' and is not so enamored with, as Daphne puts it, the 'everyone else'. Let's hope that offering prizes starts with our National amateur divisions and lastly goes to the folks who not only do not support any USA Dance functions but show up to win an event to go to another event...

10. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Registration for Nationals is now open.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  11. Akita

Akita Active Member

Oh yeah. At Ohio Star this year, we were watching am/am open Standard (which the Wrights won) in Battelle on Friday afternoon with maybe a hundred people total in the giant ballroom. A dress vendor came in to watch, sat beside us and after about 30 secs, exclaimed, "Holy Cow! This dancing is amazing! How come people aren't in here watching?" Answer - because it's "amateur". The next day, after Pro Standard had danced at night, one of the judges commented to me that he thought the quality of dancing was higher in the am/am open Standard than in the Pro Standard on Friday night. :)

12. Mr 4 styles

yeah!!!

13. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

I think the threads have been merged, but in response to the first post of "Things to do in LA"... if you can rent a car, driving up the coast on Pacific Coast Highway and stopping for lunch at one of the restaurants on the way overlooking the water in Malibu, strolling on Santa Monica Pier and beaches, having breakfast in Venice Beach on the boardwalk and people watching, window shopping in Beverly Hills, real shopping in West Hollywoood or Westwood Village, Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, renting a bike and biking on the bikepath that stretches alongside the beach for as far as you can. Time all your excursions well though because rush hour traffic in LA is horrible!

14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Actually, people weren't in there watching because it was senior.

15. Akita

Akita Active Member

There were 2 events. Yes, one was "senior" - but the other was "Over 35" with David & Liva Wright (current Senior 1 Champions and Blackpool finalists.)

16. Mr 4 styles

i was dancing latin before these events and the over 35 standard was awesome

seniors ( ie 0ver 35) keep usa dance and the ndca comps in business

17. Bailamosdance

'over 35' is called senior 1 in the amateur world.

Even in the amateur world, senior dance is under appreciated, tho. Since senior events outnumber 'adult' events 4 to 1, and contribute many times the amount of dues and fees at comps, but are usually marginalized by promoters (putting their events in the afternoon, or using a second string judging panel) many senior competitors are absent from some bigger events, since they collaborate and discuss where to go to be treated well... which makes them sometimes invisible to thedance public. However, on the world stage, Senior dance is a big deal - events with over 200 Senior couples competing are not unusual in Europe. And yes, the standard is very high -

18. Mr 4 styles

what he said............

19. Bailamosdance

to many people, ageism is rampant, and senior implies a quality difference.

20. Mr 4 styles

yeah there is a difference in quality

senoirs are often married or in a relationship the passion and caring for their partners shows through much more than some 18 year latin speed demon who makes faux faces at the audiece coz his coach told him too

so he has a triple pirouette who cares its not ballet

sick with a cold.. humor tends to darken then sorry