2013 USA Dance Nationals - LA

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, Nov 13, 2012.

1. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Isn't that the goal of a follower? To be a battering ram? :)

2. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

We liked the venue this time better than 3 years ago, it was more food choices, and we really enjoyed the roof top pool, enjoyed too much, as I had to use 3 layers of foundation to cover my partner's sun burn:)

Mr 4 styles and Bailamosdance like this.
  3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I mean, that's why I do my hair so hard. Anyone coming in contact with it is going to experience more pain than I am.

Gorme, ajiboyet, dlliba10 and 2 others like this.
  4. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Yes, first time around, not so much for food, and the area surrounding the hotel was not too fun, now better. Service at the hotel was excellent and high quality. As usual tho, weekend breakfasts at these kinds of hotels are overpriced and poorly conceived. For a couple to pay almost $60 for breakfast is awful, like the hotplated sausages lol. Espressamente was great, tho, but closed early on Sunday nite.

LA downtown is still apparently a cultural wasteland tho and walking around in what amounts to an open air food court made us yearn for Baltimore's harbor activity and historic areas... we also must have missed the USA Dance hospitality table that was promised, with lists of local events and sights. Maybe it was in another wing of the hotel lol. Fortunately, buying a license plate holder or sew on labels was never easier. Too bad that the ball was dropped on getting usa dance folks to enjoy Los Angeles. High prices for sessions you did not have entry to, and the need to get away from the high end chain restaurant glut (the Farm was the only 'local' restaurant in the area AFAIK) to see some real local color made that great food truck outside a real attraction. Otherwise, Flemings, Puck and others are sort of the common things u see in a convention site or a sports venue.

5. jerseydancer

The con, we should have come a day earlier. We got to LA Saturday evening, and it was hard to stay awake during the final at 3AM EST next day, first time in my dancing carrier I felt nauseated after Tango in Final. Dancing that late was more difficult than missing three hours of sleep on the way back. But it was a challenge to take time off work at the beginning of April, so we only could come on Saturday:(.

The pro is that United and Continental merged, so there were many options for direct flight at reasonable price for us from EWR.

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  6. jerseydancer

I was watching live stream re-runs and it was kind of disturbing to see that many empty seats during the evening sessions. What can we do to bring more people? I did not notice that many empty seats last year in Baltimore, Friday and Saturday nights were packed, and even during our final late Sunday night, we had big cheering crowd. Not sure why it was so empty in LA, because quite few top couples in both Adult Latin and Standard divisions did not show up, or because not that many couples from East Coast could stay awake that late to come back and watch the comp.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  7. jerseydancer

Another pro: The competition was well organized and the volunteers did amazing job as always!

Mr 4 styles and Larinda McRaven like this.
  8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

On the plus side, the time difference did lead to one of the more hilarious moments on the livestream, when the MC called out one of the guys who was watching by name, suggesting that he might want to think about going to bed since he had two tests in the morning. (It wasn't entirely clear to me whether or not the guy in question actually had two tests the next day, but it was funny either way.)

9. jerseydancer

Yes. That was funny:)

10. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

The guy called out for the tests, from what I hear, was a friend of a friend. Though Yang did then say hi to me by name right after calling him out. :)

11. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

LMMAOOO it happens.. so long as ya don't break her:eek::D

smidra86 likes this.
  12. Mr 4 styles

to hang himself but those lousy zip up ties don't work too good at that:D

the mrs has made me want to try also tho:eek: kidding um er sorta

13. Mr 4 styles

yes he did and oddly I knew who he meant right away

im in this chat room wayyyy toooo mmuuccchhh:confused:

14. Mr 4 styles

Huge venue!!:D

lotsa room to register/ get tix etc not the Bmore cattle drive

newer hotel same price rooms are 60SQ feet larger at least could do my yoga in the AM comfortably

great restaurants just out the door The Grove was a 15 minute drive for some fun and Morels French Steakhouse

only bummer was location of video peeps at the long end of the floor:(

VIP section at night run well as always:)

met pau gasol in the lobby one day Cameron diaz too:eek::p

went to BH shopped met Stacey kiebler:eek: at MAC there while mrs was getting eyeliner

won two titles:cool:

im a happppyyy camper:D:D:D

Gorme, ajiboyet, 3wishes and 2 others like this.
  15. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Btw...that "Hi Daniel" came from me through Yang! :)

16. Leon Theou

Leon Theou Active Member

I for one had Word open on one side of the screen and the stream on the other. Multitasking! On another note, is there a reason that the day sessions were not streamed?

17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Well, USA Nationals this past weekend vs the Dodgers at home against the Pirates, and huge promotions at the stadium evening games, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. With new star powered ownership - the Dodgers are quite the attraction nowadays, and when you can get a ticket free if you buy a ticket...hmmmmm. Personally, if I went to the East Coast for a comp of any sort...I have to get there days in advance, the time change (unless it's to Hawaii) never sits well with me.

Mr 4 styles and Bailamosdance like this.
  18. smidra86

smidra86 Active Member

Aahaha. I was hoping i'd get a shout out from you while on the smooth floor. :p

19. Mr 4 styles

they did part of the days but "per session" cost I bet and I bet next year they stream the whole thing I had lots of friends tell me they watched at least some of it online

20. Mr 4 styles

you got a few from me..:D