2013 USA Dance Nationals - LA

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i still think novice should be with the other open events this will make gold couples think twice about entering an open event and dancing syllabus routines

agree with parts and not others having the champ events biddable will only impact adult as that is what brings the spectators ( it shouldnt be that way but it is)

i think USA dance should help send couples to world events . personally if we ever are selected i wouldnt need their support but not everyone is in that situation
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If a regional/NQE has to bid serious money in order to receive sanction, you will see a sharp drop in the number of NQEs.
  3. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

... They only have to bid higher than another comp. and why is that a problem? The bidder who is most interested wins it as well as the competiors. The minimum bid could remain $500... The winning bid might only be $600. In any case the winner here is the USA dance competitor who sees more $$s going to specific competitor perks, for instance.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. Bailamosdance

Right now an nqe has become a valuable commodity and a draw. Why not make it less of a right and more of a privilege.
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  5. bia

bia Well-Known Member

As a syllabus dancer, if I couldn't spectate open events at a comp, I'd be much less likely to go. Getting inspiration from the higher level dancers is not as important a part of a competition as dancing my own events, but it's close. That said, I could imagine it working to offer all events at all competitions, but designating different comps as "nationals" for different events.
    Mr 4 styles and Bailamosdance like this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

there still needs to be a minimum number of nqes and geographic variety i think the currrent ones wouldnt change it just would be a little bigger draw for the nqe that landed a particular open championship

similar to but not identical to the best of the best dancesport series in ndca
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  7. Bailamosdance

Agreed, I personally think that isolating the champ events like they did with sr 4 this year will have a chilling effect on attendance, since folks will also be unlikely to go to an event other than their particular event...
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. Mr 4 styles

an excellent point!!!! thanks for mentioning it im trying to get myself invited to any "procedural meeting " with regards to nationals structure and organization as a chapter prez i think i should be able to attend as a member at large we shall see

maybe dapha can hook me up:D
    jerseydancer and Bailamosdance like this.
  9. Mr 4 styles

sr4 should be part of nationals regardless and sr 5 or 6 or whatever happens later too

those sr 4 couples are going to dance forever!! love it!!
  10. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Hm, and another thought about splitting up the nationals designation -- it might work to split up by style rather than by level. So that, e.g., the comp designated as "latin nationals" would draw maximum attendance from latin dancers at all levels, drawn both to compete and to spectate, and mid-sized NQE-type attendance in other styles. It might be a bit inconvenient for multi-style dancers, but I bet it could be worked out so that they're basically attending the same number of comps as they normally would.
  11. Mr 4 styles

you would still need to do nqes i think it would get too small for individual ones and the american styles are already under represented this would probably worsen and i for one would hate to see that
  12. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

I think the Nationals should be separated by age categories, based on proximity to the WDSF World Events. For example, Senior 2 Standard Nationals should be earlier than the beginning of April as the WDSF World is almost right after, and that makes it challenging to plan for the couples who would go to the World Cup only if sponsored. Same for senior one, and it does not have to be always the same location, Nationals can travel from NQE to NQE to make it match the World, as some dates do change, and also to make it fair to the competitors from different regions. Personally, I would rather dance S2 Nationals event at Mid-Atlantic or MAC at the decent time, versus in LA at 3AM EST.
  13. Mr 4 styles

JERSEY yeah i figured that LOL personally id rather dance senior 2 nationals at the Southwest regionals in beautiful so cal in feb when its 70 degrees and sunny:D
  14. Akita

Akita Active Member

I strongly agree that S4 should be at the Nationals, not at an NQE. It's a National Championship. Having it an NQE sets a bad precedent. What's next? Move S3 to an NQE to make more room for dance moms? Heck, why not just move all the senior events to an NQE? (Who cares that it's primarily the Senior $s that keep the instructors in business and the lights on in the studios?)
    Bailamosdance and Mr 4 styles like this.
  15. Mr 4 styles

can i get an AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D soo true
  16. Mr 4 styles

sure the hawaii /carribean nqe!!!! completely underwritten for all senior attendees by usa dance alternate locations annually between the grand wailea on maui and the atlantic resort iin the bahamas whose with me!!!!:eek:
  17. Bailamosdance

One of the problems with marginalizing senior 4 to a comp like it is is that it does put is all at risk of being shunted off to another hard to get to comp that probably was voted
    In without bidding or discussion. Your event may be next especially if u r old or marginal in the eyes of the gc...
  18. Bailamosdance

Love it! But hey once again competing for locations would mean that the competitors would pull the strings and not the promoters, and watch how fast they lobby the gc for their "exclusivity".
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  19. Mr 4 styles

is that what happened or did the carolina organizers just wisely step into the vaccuum the nationals may have accidentally created?
  20. Mr 4 styles

*worries that BD may end up on the ndca or wdsf hit list*

gc general consensus?? or greedy controllers??