2013 USA Dance Nationals - LA

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Akita

Akita Active Member

No dance moms! :)
    Bailamosdance and Mr 4 styles like this.
  2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

yes i viewed that as the tie breaker that made me pick option 4:cool:
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  3. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Another 11 hours until the early bird session ticket prices will end. Get your tickets in the next 11 hours, don't delay, and pay more.
  4. Mr 4 styles

and sign up to dance!!!!
  5. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Thanks Mr. 4 Styles, agree everyone should be signing up now
    Mr 4 styles and Bailamosdance like this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

flights aint gettin cheaper LOL
  7. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Continuing on the discussion onZ improving the nationals... One thought was finding a venue similar to Emerald. Right at the airport, over $100 a night cheaper, and obviously adept at doing ballroom comps. Many of the folks who are passing on the nationals cite the high cost for the trip, but also the high cost of the rooms.
  8. Akita

Akita Active Member

I second that.
  9. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Actually, they never "pulled" SR4 or Show Dance from Nationals - S4 has never been at Nationals, so it couldn't have been pulled from it. For Show Dance, no one ever submitted a tape to be considered to compete.
  10. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

Last time I checked there were at least 2 senior athletes on the DanceSport council, one of who is a current competitor.
  11. Bailamosdance

Maybe, but the wdsf has a rep for seniors. Only. Representing seniors.
  12. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

Deadline to register for Nationals is approaching, only 3 more weeks to register without a penalty and only 4 more weeks to register and be sure of getting into the program. Don't delay, do it this weekend when you have an extra day to spend thinking about dancing rather than work :)
    jerseydancer likes this.
  13. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

BTW. WDSF is going to have World Championship for Senior 4 Standard Division in May 2014 in Spain. Good news for S4, and many hopes for the younger seniors:) We never have to stop to compete on the World Arena
  14. Bailamosdance

Awesome! When will someone in the USA promote a World Championship event???
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  15. Mr 4 styles

images of frozen pitchforks and aerial porcines run through my head
  16. Akita

Akita Active Member

That's good news. thanks,
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  17. Boston Dance Dad

Boston Dance Dad New Member

The airport? Really? I've been to both with my couple and I prefer the LA location better. First the Emerald hotel is only $50 cheaper (149 vs 199). Plus the cost of registration for events is generally more expensive at Emerald & other NDCA events vs. Nationals. In fact you can't event see the cost of registration without getting a password from the competition organizer which allows studios to mark up prices on unsuspecting couples. But that is neither here nor there. US Nationals should be a big event at a big venue. It is the Super Bowl for dancers, not just another competition, and if we ever want dance to become more mainstream you need to start acting like mainstream sports and promote these big events. The LA venue is a prime time location for a prime time event that would be marginalized if it was held at an airport. Look at NDCA's US Professional Championship. Where is it held every year? Disney World, not the Orlando airport. How about WDC Amateur World Championship? Again Disney World Paris - not some second rate location in a beautiful destination.
  18. Mr 4 styles

LA over emerald or LA over baltimore??

beacause i think the LA live location is much more fun than the Airport Hilton for emerald and that hilton is one of the best hiltons in the country IMO
  19. Bailamosdance

If it's the super event for Dancesport maybe needs to be held in the sports environment like they do in other countries. Costs are real and I would rather see that money go into the dancing not a hotel. And since USA dance Has pretty much failed to bring it into the mainstream with its potential sponsorships and viewerships why even look for that? Who benefits? Why not morel net into paying a publicist or salesperson who can be effective in bringing people to even watch a comp...

Of course I do understand where the fun aspect comes in if you don't stay in hotels very often or your idea of luxury is room service, but I'm there for the dancing
  20. Mr 4 styles

do you mean ballroom dancing in general beacuse that is a complex issue mostley dictated by cost ( like polo or sailing) or do you mean as a spectator event because here i agree. elsewhere in the world like the pan asian games ballroom is a hot ticket!!