2013 USA Dance Nationals - LA

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Dancebug, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

If you're talking about the mainstream aspect of ballroom oversees a lot of that is cultural and also the fact that for many years ballroom dancing has been part of the mainstream of their sports life. Here the emphasis is on team sports and million-dollar players. Whatever, it is complex, but how we did approaching it so far has not worked at all.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

i dont mean fun inthe hotel i mean fun in the area

grew up in LA love the revamp that LA live has provided the area

LOL hardly

which will hardly fill the three days you are there.......... so get out and see some sights

3. Mr 4 styles

agree.. this should be a new thread

golf is not a team sport and wasnt any millionaires until TV got involved

you cant tell me ballroom isnt more fun to watch than golf

skating also not a team sport

4. Bailamosdance

What is there in la live? Planet Hollywood? What is there that is fun for a dancer?

5. Mr 4 styles

you are 7.4 miles for El Floridita awesome cuban food mad salsa dancing and AT on different nights​

6. Bailamosdance

7.4 miles is a long way with no car...

7. Boston Dance Dad

Boston Dance Dad New Member

Taxi cabs? In terms of location the WDC and NDCA did not choose those locations because they were interesting for dance only, they chose them because they are destination points that people want to see and travel to when not dancing. LA Live is the same thing. But in all honesty I agree that there is a lot of room for improvement to better promote and publicize this event to the mainstream to make it even bigger. However you don't start by marginalizing it. Lets focus on how to make it better and not how to make it cheaper, the two do not go together in this case (sometimes they do, but not now).

8. Bailamosdance

The comments about making it cheaper did not come from me originally, and I think they need to be addressed because so many people have decided not to attend because of cost

9. Boston Dance Dad

Boston Dance Dad New Member

My understanding is that the LA event is always smaller then Baltimore because the cost in travel is prohibitive to college and other competitors who are primarily located on the east coast. Unless you have a secret to bring the cost of airline tickets down to 1980's levels I don't think any drastic change can be made to make the event cheaper without marginalizing it down to just another competition.

10. Bailamosdance

Why does finding a cheaper venue make it just another comp?

FYI taxi to and from a Mexican restaurant from la live adds over $25 to the cost of a meal

11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

If you eat alone.

12. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Just threw a couple of Thurs nite thru Sat nite rooms back in the pond if anyone is looking.

13. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

Mexican grill is defined as "fun for dancers", and I do not know many competitive dancers who would be flying across the country for AT or Salsa night out, we have many in NYC, if we need or have time to go to. What are you talking about?

14. jerseydancer

I agree, there is nothing to see or visit in LA Live, been there, and really had nowhere to go but stay in Hotel

15. jerseydancer

Have you been in Paris at that time? It is cold and rainy, and windy. What I have heard from the ones who went, they did not want to leave the hotel. The grass is always greener on the other side:)

16. Mr 4 styles

jersey dancer El floridita is not a mexican grill it is a cuban restaurant with live salsa band slike chalo martinez who emigraterd from cuba its like the buena vista social club in there!! the best dancers in the city dance here and ill put them against anyone ive ever danced with on the east coast

let a los angelino show you around:D

bailamosdance ill happily drive you there but bring your salsa A game;)

in la in feb it is ... nyc um notsomuch

ive been the baltimore nationals three times you can walk to a few restaurants and a few sights but thats all a repeat after the first time LA live is no different except to me as i grew up in LA perhaps next time im in baltimore ill find a local to help me out to find stuff off the beaten path

17. jerseydancer

When we are in Baltimore, we normally take the day off between the S1 and S2, and drive to DC, visit museums, dine in Georgetown restaurants, take a stroll. The last thing I want to do between the comp days is actually to dance salsa:) We are inside all day during the comp so taking it outside is very nice

Mr 4 styles and Bailamosdance like this.
  18. Bailamosdance

Treu, Jerseydancer, dancing is the LAST thing. The Nationals when held in a walkable area becomes very relaxing. Renting a car in LA is what drives the cost of the hotel up - adding the car rental, the cost of the parking, and the DRAG of driving around is a big deal.

And LA live is so far away from so much...

19. Dancebug

Dancebug Well-Known Member

When we were there two years ago, it was challenging finding a place where we could grab a quick bite. There were many nice (expensive) restaurants all around, but those are not the kind of places you want to go between dance heats. I remember someone else complained about this problem. Does anyone know it has changed? Are there more casual quick eateries now?

Bailamosdance likes this.
  20. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

As a los angelina... I agree. Even if you don't want to hang out in LA Live, there is a ton of stuff to do in LA. True, you will probably have to rent a car.. but the freeways/directions are easy to navigate, and if you go as a group you can share in the car rental. Jump in the car and head to Santa Monica/Venice area, hang out on the beach, have lunch on Ocean Park Boulevard, shop at Third Street Promenade or Montana Avenue, then drive up PCH and enjoy the ocean views in Malibu, stop at the Getty Villa museum, while you are up there, then have dinner at one of the restaurants in Malibu overlooking the water.

Mr 4 styles likes this.