2014 USA Dance Nationals venue

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by rainerng, Oct 28, 2012.

1. rainerng

rainerng Member

All Everyone, does anyone know if the 2014 USA Dance nationals is going to be in LA or Baltimore?
  2. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Perhaps Daphna will notice this, but I thought the schedule was basically 2 years on the East Coast, 1 year on the West. At least, that's how it's been the past 5.
  3. Akita

Akita Active Member

How about moving it someplace else - like Orlando?
    jerseydancer likes this.
  4. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

it is in LA this year at the JW marriott at LA Live it is a great venue much nicer that the baltimore one been to both
  5. Mr 4 styles

i think the plan now MAY be to alternate
  6. Mr 4 styles

when they move the USDC to LA hee hee
  7. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

;)
  8. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

They did have it in Louisville one year, right? It was before my time, but I assume the people on the coasts (who I believe are a majority of the people who attend) didn't love it. It does suggest though that while it's probably reasonable to work on the assumption that it'll be Baltimore or LA going forward, they aren't completely wedded to the idea of it being one of those two venues forever and always in the future.
  9. SDsalsaguy

Yes, it had been several other places prior to the current Baltimore <--> LA run. I won't speak for those involved, but as someone familiar with conferences and organization, it is very difficult to make the appropriate arrangements at new venues year after year, and especially without a sufficient number of 'on the ground' people at said location. By repeating use at proven venues the wheel does not have to get re-created each and every year, and there's less room for things to fall through the cracks.
    Meagan and Mr 4 styles like this.
  10. Mr 4 styles

it needs to be east coast/ west coast tho

oh and agree SD salsaguy with your post too
  11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Why? it was held in a flyover state for 5 years... and went well...
  12. SDsalsaguy

I agree it does not have to be on a coast, but stand by my earlier point about the advantages of repetition. One issue for the coasts though, may be the higher density and concentrations of competitors. Not saying that should trump all other considerations, but it certainly seems like a reasonable and significant factor.
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  13. Mr 4 styles

because the west coast already doesnt get enough love from USA dance
  14. Mr 4 styles

\\

from a fiscal standpoint this is the driving factor
  15. Mandicraft

Mandicraft Active Member

As someone on the team that works on Nationals, it is SOOOOO much easier when you're dealing with venues you know and have a relationship with. When it comes to planning, setup and even an easy working relationship with the staff, it's so much better to use the same venue(s).

We've been working on a cycle of 2 years East Coast, 1 year West Coast and I don't think that will be changing anytime soon.
  16. Mr 4 styles

bummer was hoping for 1:1
  17. Griffico

Griffico Member

At a cursory glance on o2cm results, it seems the Baltimore venue gets way more attention from couples than other venues. At the syllabus levels, you're looking at a difference between a large semifinal and a large quarter or even 1/8 final. The 'hits' counters also seem to indicate that Baltimore generates as much as 20-30% more interest than when the comp is located elsewhere.

Given that the next largest USA Dance comps (by results hits) are located either in New York City or California (half of the MAC at most), the nationals locations aren't much of a surprise.
  18. Mr 4 styles

actually Gumbo of dancesport does exceedingly well also

remember that the LA edition has occured only once so far so 4:1

we west coasters go to baltimore hopefully the east coasters will come to LA too
  19. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

My partners and I are planning to, and we're NYC/Boston based. :D
  20. JudeMorrigan

JudeMorrigan Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, it's a great, fun competition, but the fields aren't anything like you'd see at MAC or Bethesda. The difference is particularly noticeable if you're dancing adult in the international styles. The year I did it, there was one other couple in adult bronze standard.
    ChaChaMama likes this.