2014 USA Dance Nationals venue

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by rainerng, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Griffico

Griffico Member

I'm just going based on actual numbers, not a hunch or opinion. At least for now, the reality appears to be that the location that will convince the most people to come is along the right coast, probably above the Mason-Dixon line.

And as much as I want to go to the Gumbo (lived in NOLA for a time so there's extra incentive), there simply isn't enough international style competition to make me drop money on a plane ticket. I do know people who have been though, and I hear it's a wonderful experience. I plan to make it out some day when it won't be so significant a hit on the bank account.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

yep MAC and bethesda are effectively intl only comps imo that is why i dont do them;) gumbo has more american style than even nationals sometimes and enough of the other two as well its hard to get good contestation in all 4 styles at one event except nationals

GREAT see you there !! ive done natls 4 years in a row so far they could put it in timbuktu and id still go!!

3. Mr 4 styles

if you build it they will come!!!

lets compare LA to Balt once LA has been up and running for a while

4. Meagan

Meagan Active Member

I think it depends a lot on your age/proficiency category right? Def not much at all in Youth or of Adult Open Rhythm at MAC for sure but Open Smooth has been growing and the syllabus adult categories seem healthy in both. At least if my memory serves :)

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Well, American Style may be more prevalent in the "flyover states" than on the coasts. But I think the concentration of dancers is still way higher on the coasts.

6. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Yes, in general for American style in the inner states. But for the past 7 or so years Smooth has taken hold in the Boston and upper northeast area. We now have quarter finals in gold and champ. 'Tis quite nice!

7. Mr 4 styles

at every event all over the country thank god!

8. Mr 4 styles

true but american style is much more represented in the west than the east it seem especailly rhythm

ditto the growth of smooth warms my heart now to get rhythm more energized!!

9. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

Cheers!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  10. Stu22

Stu22 New Member

Good Idea

11. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

I'd love to have bigger American Style events at MAC, if we could get the competitors in...

In terms of competition location, another factor can be spectators, I've not worked extensively with Nationals, but along with a concentration of more local dancers, comes a larger pool of potential spectators, which definitely does play into covering costs.

12. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Not really. Outside of friend and family very few locals come to an event, even nationals

13. scotttocs

scotttocs Member

Bailamos - which means if you hold the event where friends and family are more able to attend you drive up spectator numbers.

Wherever the bulk of your competitors are is also where the bulk of your prospective spectators are.

14. jump'n'jive

jump'n'jive Active Member

i quite enjoyed when nationals where held in minneapolis

15. Griffico

Griffico Member

On that note, does USA Dance do much advertising in the area? It seems whenever I talk to locals, they always seem surprised that there is a ballroom dance national championship nearby. Baltimore doesn't seem to have difficulty with keeping a ballroom full of people, but I can't speak for other venues.

16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

hmmmm, well the J.W Marriott in downtown L.A. Live center is a fabulous venue, granted I worked Staples Center and other events as a City employee. Not to steal the thread, there are truly easy ways to get to this hotel, The Metrolink Train to Union Station, transfer to the Red Line and wella. Or the FlyAway Union Station Bus/Airport service for seven dollars one way, then take the Dash for 50 cents to Convention center/ always check time schedules, and of course you can always drive it. I personally love all the events happening there and the Grammy Museum. there are also other train services from Pasadena, and Long Beach that will end at Union Station as well. ok, back to OP, no more stealing on my part.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  17. jerseydancer

jerseydancer Active Member

Keep in mind, when we fly from East Coast to LA, we do not have a car, so normally what is in the walking distance does count for local entertainment. Last time at Nationals in LA there were not much to do and not too many places to go, unless we would rent a car. Also, most of the time during the competition is spend actually dancing or watching our friends dancing, so we would not have all day to circle around LA on taxi. If Nationals on the West coast, I would prefer San Francisco area. Somewhere not too far from downtown, at least that would be a place to go for nice dinner/lunch and site seeing. And no matter what coast are the competition held, I would definitely prefer the mix of judges from all the country.

Bailamosdance likes this.
  18. dlliba10

dlliba10 Well-Known Member

I agree, a car is kind of a requisite to embark on any sort of personal entertainment excursion in LA. The public transportation system in LA is, well ... yeah. I'm definitely renting one though if we make it out there -- gotta hit up my Getty Villa, Pacific Coast Highway, and Solar de Cahuenga (best cup of coffee in California). :D

19. Mr 4 styles

LA live has plenty to do within walking distance i assure you

20. Mr 4 styles

[/QUOTE]
    gotta hit up my Getty Villa, Pacific Coast Highway, and Solar de Cahuenga (best cup of coffee in California).
    [/QUOTE]

and Nobu in malibu!!

dlliba10 likes this.