2020 Olympics

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by Larinda McRaven, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Dancesport was not included on the shortlist for the 2020 Olympic games:

The Executive Board of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) made an official announcement of the eight sports shortlisted for a possible inclusion into the Olympic sports programme for the Games in 2020.

At its meeting ahead of the 123rd IOC Session in Durban, RSA, the board followed the suggestions of the Programme Commission and shortlisted again the five sports - baseball, karate, roller sports, softball, squash - that were considered already in the review of the programme for the Games in 2016. Golf and rugby sevens succeeded with their campaign then. Sport climbing, wakeboard and wushu are the newcomers on the list.

As the programme will be limited to a maximum of 28 sports in 2020, and as golf and rugby are slated for their second appearance after 2016, only one of the eight shortlisted sports can actually be added to the Games. Which one it will be is voted on by the 125th IOC Session in 2013.
  2. TinyDancer109

TinyDancer109 Well-Known Member

thanks for the info, Larinda! good to know.
  3. GoldStar

GoldStar Member

I don't want ballroom dancing to be an olympic sport.

On the one hand, we want more dancers and make the balleoom dancing more popular.
    But on the other hand, if it goes to the olympics, it won't be what we have so loved.

I can't see dance as an olympic sport and I don't support it and I think that if you watch the lecture "Then and now" by Bob Irvine (blackpool 2005), you will think the same.
  4. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

As a reference, ballroom dancing is included in the Asian game already.
  5. White Chacha

White Chacha Active Member

I, for one, wish the IDSF & company would devote less resources to pushing ballroom for the Olympics and various infighting, and more into the dancing.
  6. Benjy

Benjy Member

Ha pipe dream
  7. ViviDancer

ViviDancer Member

As a reference, it was China-Dominated in the last Asian Games. Every single category was won by them.
  8. ajiboyet

ajiboyet Well-Known Member

(Emphasis added).

+1. As much as I love DanceSport, I wouldn't want it to be included at the Olympics. The IDSF (sorry, WDSF) needs a chill pill.
  9. VTDancer

VTDancer Member

OK, I feel the need to rant a bit:

I also have never been a fan of ballroom dancing being in the Olympics, and I think now is the time to let this go. Mayby we should not say never, but drop it as a stated goal for USA Dance. And while we are at it, let's stop calling it "dancesport". Let's call it competitive ballroom and Latin dancing.

It seems to me that we have been trying to shoehorn ballroom dancing into other people's paradigms of what it should be. Ballroom and Latin dancing have great history and traditions. We should celebrate this and not try to make it into someone else's idea of what a competitive sport should be. There seems to be the feeling that if "dancesport" were in the Olympics, it is somehow validated. If it gets on TV as part of the Olympics, this makes it legitimate. Show a little backbone here. We don't need this validation! I worry that if "dancesport" ever gets into the Olympics it would soon become a caricature of itself. And just forget about elegance! (Think lot's of shots of sweaty people in warmups in the back of a gym, not exactly Blackpool.)

In my opinion, you do ballroom and Latin dancing a disservice by trying to make it into a "sport". Of course it has qualities of a sport, but is is also an art. We don't need to choose. It is unique and owes no one an apology. We should not allow these little mental boxes control how we think about dance.

If ballroom and Latin dancing gets into the Olympics at some point it should be on terms that do not make us change the nature of what it is. If it happens, that is OK. If it does not, we are none the worse off.
  10. bia

bia Well-Known Member

Plus, regardless of whether being in the Olympics would be good or bad for ballroom dancing, it's my impression that its inclusion is becoming less and less likely, not mostly because of anything about dancing, but because of attitudes about the Olympics. The movement seems to be strongly in the direction of cutting down the number of sports included, not expanding them (I should do some research to back this up; at the moment it's just an impression). In any case, Larinda's news makes it evident that it's not happening any time soon. At what point can we stop putting effort into this lost cause?

ETA: OK, my impression of actual cutting isn't accurate. Two sports were cut for London (baseball and softball), but the overall trend has been continued growth decade to decade. That said, the numbers have been held quite steady since the turn of the millenium, and based on news stories I've read, the governing bodies would prefer to keep further expansion to a minimum.
  11. dlgodud

dlgodud Active Member

It seems that they cut the events that are not popular that much and don't drive income in. Nowadays, the Olympics are very commercial, and everything is about money. My country, South Korea, won the 2020 Winter Olympic bidding, and people already talk about how much we can make from having the Olympic. So I really doubt that if ballroom dancing could be a part of the Olympics soon.
  12. jofjonesboro

jofjonesboro New Member

I agree with every point that you make and have ever since I started dancing.

All of your arguments have been made by others but no one in the leadership of the governing dance bodies is listening. Too many people who should know better have dollar signs (or should that be euro signs) in their eyes, imagining an explosion of interest in competitve dancing and millions of gold-medal hungry youngsters flocking to studios.

The sad news for these folks is that the "explosion" has already happened thanks to DWTS and SCD. Even though there may be more people aware of ballroom and Latin than there were five years ago, the growth in the ballroom has not lived up to those wild-eyed expectations. These people will continue to believe that they can get dancing into the Olympics and seem determined to ruin the pasttime in their efforts to do so.

No matter how this issue turns out, amateur dancers are gong to be the losers.

jj
  13. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yet baseball and softball are back on the list...Sorry, that hacks me off. If they let THOSE back in, after dumping them, they better take a much harder look at letting synchronized skating (synchro) in. It's a HUGE sport, especially in northern Europe and North America, but has been repeatedly told it's too many people.

I don't agree that it's going to "ruin" ballroom if it makes it in. I just don't think it's feasible. It isn't judged like any Olympic sport (including figure skating, and I don't mean the difference between the IJS and what we erroneously call the "skating system" in dance), it involves lots of people, it's only sort of TV-friendly in its normal format...even rhythmic gymnastics, much as I think it's the freak show with the contortionists, is more Olympic-friendly. And more to the point the IOC is being as clear as they can be that they DON'T WANT DANCESPORT.

Note I have no problem calling it that. For starters, you can't call it "ballroom and Latin", that leaves out American, Cabaret, Theater Arts, Formation, etc. Second, yes, for many of us, it's a competitive sport, not dinking around tea rooms and showing off for the country club. But it may not be an OLYMPIC sport. Neither is American football or polo or cheerleading...they don't seem to be losing sleep over it.