A tanda for...

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangobro, Dec 23, 2012.

1. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Lucio Demare:
    (played by the dj @ a recent New York City milonga)

Malena

Manana zarpo un barco

Oigo Tu Voz

Al Compas de un tango

Sunsetdancer and opendoor like this.
  2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Those are all really nice songs, although that version of Oigo tu voz sounds like the Tanturi version (even though the video says otherwise).

3. rain_dog

rain_dog Member

4. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

I usually don't mix singers in a tanda, and so my preferred Demare/Miranda tanda drops Beron's Oigo Tu Voz in favour of No Te Apures Cara Blanca.

5. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

absolutely right. my bad.

thanks for the correction guys.

Here's the Demare version with Beron singing:

and while looking for it I found this Demare/Beron tanda that also ends with "Oigo Tu Voz":

6. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

the song that made me sit up & take notice of Lucio Demare was "Moneda De Cobre"

but I seldom hear it in the milonga. Any thoughts as to why? If you DJ what songs would you use to create a tanda including "Moneda De Cobre" Demare/Beron 1943?

7. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

No clue why it's not played more. It's a great song, IMO.

I put in it with some other songs that I don't hear a lot. For me, I have no problem mixing the singers, and that's what I do with this song.

1) Estan Sonando Las Ocho

2) Moneda De Cobre

Video Above

3) Solamente Ella

We mostly do 3 song tandas around here, but if it's a 4 song tanda, I'd likely use Igual Que Un Bandoneon as the 2nd song.

8. UKDancer

I love Demare, and my tanda would be:
    1. Moneda De Cobre
    2. Como Se Hace Un Tango
    3. En Un Rincon
    4. Soy del Noventa
    All with Raúl Berón & from 1943.

9. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Osvaldo Fresedo:
    (Played by the DJ @ a recent New York City milonga).

"Niebla del Riachuelo"

R.I.P. Andrea Misse

"Cordobesita"

"Isla De Capri"

"Sollozos"

10. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Early Fresedo is one of my favorite orchestras, especially with Roberto Rey. A later period, not so much.

In this tanda, "Cordobesita" and "Isla De Capri" seem a little to similar to my ear.

11. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

Me too. I wish he was played more at our milongas. Nice tanda.

12. tangomonkey

tangomonkey Active Member

Malena is so powerful! I haven't heard or danced a tanda where the other selections came close to matching it. Once I had a private lesson where I asked our teacher to play only Malena: Demare, Troila, Sexteto Mayor with Adriana Varela, and Pugliese. I like working/learning this way - dancing a range of "covers".

13. UKDancer

I'd happily pair them together, even though Isla de Capri isn't tango but a fox-trot (and none the worse for that), but I wouldn't pair them with the others, which are serious/proper tango, whereas the others are more whimsical. With more suitable pairings, you get two great tandas, though.

14. UKDancer

I hadn't heard the Pugliese version before (but I have the pastiche rendering by Color Tango (and I've gone right off them)), and as usual with me, that sets me off thinking what would make a good mid-70s Pugliese tanda. It's part of the fascination of tango music, that one discovery leads to a revision of the way you think about or listen to a particular orchestra in a particular period.

Another version of Malena worth seeking out is that by Hugo Díaz, but I find that Demare's 2nd version, from 1951 with Héctor Alvarado fails to hit the spot for me.

15. tangobro

tangobro Active Member

Osvaldo Pugliese:
    (Played by the dj @ a recent New York City milonga)

La Cachila

Boedo

Corrientes y Esmeralda

Fuimos

16. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Flores de alma (1947)
    Pobre flor (1946)
    Soñar y nada más (1944)

all vals duets

Alfredo de Angelis with duets by Julio Martel and Carlos Dante

opendoor likes this.
  17. UKDancer

I play exactly the same tanda, but I reverse the order of #1 & #3 reversed. An alternate tanda (same artistes) might be:
    • Mi Cariñito
    • No Vuelvas María
    • A Magaldi
    but I've never played them in a Milonga.

18. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I (personally) find four Pugliese (esp. instrumental) pieces in a row by far much tooo long: I once missed to grab the right woman and was sentenced to wait the entire Pugliese tanda at the side, started a fight with the organizer and finally was thrown out.. That is my Pugliese torture-trauma: waiting, not the sacking, of course. Four Laurenz´pieces take ten minutes, four Puglieses almost half an hour. So when I am djing now I use separate the different Pugliese styles: three pieces of Fantasía-Pugliese, and later that evening up to four pieces of Salón-Pugliese.
    I also would separate the Chanel pieces. Fuímos (of course one of my favorites) stems from a later recording session. Not only the technique is different, Fuímos also is absolute differently arranged.

My short Pugliese-Chanel tanda:
    Rondando Tu Esquina (1945)
    El Sueño Del Pibe (1945)
    Corrientes Y Esmeralda (1944)

19. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I think my favourite is Pobre flor, so i might opt for putting that last...
    Sonar y is good floor bait too so having it first makes sense.

20. UKDancer

What?

I've grouped my preferred Pugliese instrumentals into 11 x 4-song tandas, and they total 133.5 minutes. The shortest tanda is 10.4 mins & the longest is 14 mins, with an average of 12.1 mins. What on earth are you playing?

opendoor likes this.