Adaption to the dance floor

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by opendoor, Oct 12, 2012.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I like DJaying dance floor covers of great international hits. In this case "Stairway to heaven" by Led Zeppelin:

A salsa version by Orquestra Orengo from Romania

A tango version by Almatrio from Argentina

2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Interesting. Just wish to make a general comment based on just hearing some salsa covers of songs that I know this past Tuesday. As a salsa dancer I usually prefer salsa music rather than covers of international hits. If I enjoy a particular international hit it often loses a lot of what I like about it when adapted to salsa, while at the same time missing distinctive elements of a salsa song that I like. It is sort of missing out on the best of both the international hit and the salsa song. There are some exceptions, such as Pantera Mambo by Orquesta La 33. But in general I prefer to stay away from covers both as a dj and dancer.
  3. opendoor

So do I, but in the role of a DJ I have to alternate, to heat up, and to be kind of an entertainer (sometimes, anyway ;) ).
  4. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

danceronice likes this.
  5. Sagitta

I hear the foxtrot in it. ;)
  6. Sagitta

Well, interestingly you said, "I like", so you prefer to stay away from covers, yet you like to play them? As a DJ I play covers as I like to get people onto the dance floor. I don't like to play them. What exactly is it for you opendoor?
  7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I think there's a difference between what one might like to dance to oneself, and liking to play music that the people at the party they're DJing enjoy and like dancing to. Or are (pleasantly) surprised by.
    opendoor likes this.
  8. opendoor

Sorry for being not clear: it should be "I am glad as soon I come across something interesting (for some variation)", but I still like the originals, traditional and ambitious music!
  9. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

Calling two genres 'salsa music' and 'cover' is like comparing a fish and bicycle.

A song is always a 'cover'. A song in itself is only a melody; the music around a recording is the arrangement. A song can exist in many different musical genres and the artist and the musicians determine what you hear. it's their vision of the music. There is a difference.

Salsa music is a genre based on specific rhythms, structures, and instrumentation. It is not based on the song.

A BAD version of a song is much more likely than a good one, IMHO. If this was not true than there would be more music that was successful. A songwriter welcomes artists doing a song in their genre, since it promotes the song and widens the appeal and general awareness of the music. Songs are coverd hundreds of times, in some cases, but the one version that becomes a classic is due to a great combination of artist, arranger, producer, and 'the moment'.

A very simple and strict genre of music like salsa takes a pop song and fits it into their structure easily, but not always successfully. Brilliance? Artistry? Mostly not... but it is the fault of the musicians not the structure of Salsa music. Your disappointment is based on the lack of musical greatness of the artist, arranger, and producer, not the situation.
  10. Sagitta

Ok, let's forget about use of the words song and cover as that is obfuscating the point that I was trying to make.

Salsa Simple? I must disagree on that, because if it was pop songs would easily fit into the salsa structure, rhythms and instrumentation and they don't. Most songs that are made popular in another genre and converted fail because of that. If it was simple than I would hear and like more of the songs because that is what I look for and cannot find. My original point was that I find these lacking and to further clarify it is because the critical elements of rhythm, structure, and instrumentation for salsa are missing. If enough elements are there, but not all, I would be ok with that, but all too often there is so much missing that I prefer the other versions of salsified songs.
  11. Bailamosdance

Bailamosdance Well-Known Member

I hink it is the other way around - many songs can be used in salsa but few songs survive the transition from Salsa to pop song!

In so many ways, Salsa is rooted in the 'great american songbook' tradition and form.