Adding suede to character shoes?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by jen88, Apr 18, 2004.

1. jen88

jen88 New Member

Has anyone heard of adding suede to the soles of character shoes? I was wondering if anyone had tried this, and what adhesive to use. Sounds like an interesting back up plan while trying to decide or afford new ballroom shoes. Any thoughts???
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Hmm. Probably could work, although I've never done it. You could probably take them to the shoe shop and have the cobbler resole them with suede. No need to worry about adhesive. You can get character shoes for $30, add a suede sole for $10. $40 total. Nice price. 8)

Or you can go the discount ballroom shoe route. You can get some shoes for as little as $60 (everyday price). My least expensive pair of ballroom shos was $29 at showtime.

And character shoes are balanced with your weight over your heel, rather than over the ball of foot.

So what would I do? Not sure. But I'd probably scour the web, ebay, etc, looking for discounted ballroom shoes. Then, if that didn't work, I'd get the character shoes.
  3. DancingMommy

DancingMommy Active Member

or you could try Leo's suede soled character shoes.... Try going to allaboutdance or discountdancesupply dot com. They both carry them for a decent price.
  4. jen88

jen88 New Member

update

I found an express shoe repair place on the mall. They added a suede sole to my shoes for $25 and did it in 1 1/2 hours!! The suede alone was going to cost me almost $10, and I figure a professional would be better suited to properly attach the suede. I can only imagine what kind of mess I would make with the glue! :oops:
  5. MacMoto

MacMoto New Member

6. dragon3085

dragon3085 New Member

I asked a retired cobbler about this one time and said that if you ever want to get the right material, to ask for Ginger Suede or Ginger Leather. He didn't know where the Ginger part came from but that what they refered to it as in "the shoe repair industry". Just a little tidbit

Pat
  7. Throwaway Overshare

Throwaway Overshare New Member

I've glued suede onto lady's character shoes for friends.

Got the suede as a bag of scraps at a chain craft store (one company carries it, one doesn't, can't remember which). It was something like $6

Used a bottle of ordinary contact cement -here are special leather ones, but this works. You paint it on both the shoe and suede (outside - nasty solvents), let it sit for a half hour, then assemble them and push hard.

Fix any loose spots with superglue.

You'll also need the suede to make oversized heel covers for the chunky heels on character shoes.
  8. tasche

tasche New Member

This may or may not be classed as a shameless plug but my company is now stocking a very reasonably priced line of ballroom shoes. Normally I'm a shoe snob but I was so impressed with the quality for the price that I ahd to start stocking them

ok back to the question at hand from nmy experience from my shoe making classes ( oh yes I made soem really UGLY shoes) is getting the suede to stay stuck to the the bottom of the character shoe. You would probably want to rough up the bottom first before glueing to give the glue some nooks and crannys (just like english muffins hehe) to hold on to
  9. pinkstarzzz

pinkstarzzz New Member

My dad fixes shoes for a living and I wanted to get suede put on mine and it worked well! He does a lot of them now and its so inexpecive! So I would recommend it to anyone!