Adrenaline: Why do we keep coming back?

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by MadamSamba, Dec 3, 2003.

1. MadamSamba

MadamSamba Member

Hi, again! Another question...what aspect of dancing (competing or just looking fabulous socially) gets your adrenaline pumping?

In an earlier thread, I asked about addiction and addiction is generally fuelled by good feelings or a rush of some kind, in this case, adrenaline...what is it about dancing that makes us come back again and again and again? ;)

For me, it's getting better at dancing and learning new steps and, when it all comes together nicely (as vain as this sounds), there's nothing quite like the feeling of dancing and know you look good doing it! :)

2. Marvellous

Marvellous New Member

Hmmh, I have thought about this often. There might be something in the vanity thing, but I always thought it was something more chemical/physical. For example, people get addicted to working out, or jogging, or whatever. I think it is similar. Maybe not only because of adrenaline, but because of other "feel good" substances that get secreted by the body when doing such activities. Basically, we are "chemical addicts" of a sort. :D

I got this idea after reading about research on the chemical explanation for romantic love. Apparently the chemicals secreted by the body when we are "in love" are related to amphetamines. So yeah, we get high from dancing. :wink:

3. SwinginBoo

SwinginBoo New Member

Yay for Endorphins! :tongue:

4. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Wow! Good topic. This is something that I peronally have been struggling with all this year. Addicition, adrenaline . . . any pills to take to get this?

I've brought this up in DF before, but the answers have not yet hit home, well, not enough to get me dancing competitively again.

After taking several overall first places last year as a Novice and Intermediate dancer, I went to World's competition just knowing I would win again. I was confident, head was not too big, knew the routines, not nervous, etc. I didn't even place in the top five.

I have been depressed about it ever since, and have not, other than Jack and Jills, competed again. I can't shake it!

I had medical problems that started in October to knock me out for the rest of the year, but I still don't want to dance competitively.

I am learning routines for my wife and I to compete next year, but I really do not want to. I social dance like there is no tomorrow . . . I never sit down. I LOVE to dance, but . . .?

So, addiction, adrenaline . . . where is it at. Not looking for any sympathy, just something that will make me get back up in the saddle again.

I do miss competing!

5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Why Vince? Answer that and you're well on your way back to the floor...

6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

I know the answer . . . I just won't admit it! So I've got to find a way around the problem . . .

7. SDsalsaguy

So you know it, just don't know it.

8. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I think it is the addiction thing going on here for me. You feel good, the chemicals start flowing and you want more and more. That's how somtimes I can dance non-stop without feeling hungry, and it's only after i leave the club that I am attacked by hunger pangs!!

By the way the good feeling can be the result of more then one factor. Some nights it is doing moves well in a dance so that it flows. Other times, such as last night, is experiencing a new type of follower and just loving it. I danced salsa with quite a few tango ladies last night. The connection/partner dynamics...just awesome!! I couldn't believe that I was having such a good time. :) The main thing was the clsoe position. Quite often when I go into closed position with others and I feel uncomfortable. It could be due to me being a dance newbie, but with the tangueras no problem!! :)

9. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Ah, my friend, you have a way with words, and . . . when to say them. I think you may have hit home!

10. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Vince. When it's right, you'll know it. Honest. I didn't compete at all until it felt like the right time. ... And it was. You'll get back in that saddle when you're ready. Until then, enjoy your dancing, and don't compare yourself to anyone else. To me, competition is about conquering myself, not anyone else. It's not about winning, it's about rising to a higher level as a dancer. Hang in. Existential crises pass, too.

11. SDsalsaguy

I'm always here for you Vince; I hope you know that.

12. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

For me, the biggest andrenaline rush comes during a mejor performance, and even though those may be months apart, the rush is enough to keep me coming back. :D