"Age-appropriate" Latin dresses for Senior?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DianaJ, May 8, 2013.

1. DianaJ

DianaJ New Member

Hello everyone. I am brand new here and also to ballroom.

My husband and I have plans to compete (I am Senior II and he is Senior III) in Latin at some point once we become more proficient, and I have a couple of questions about attire.

I have been scouring youtube vids and online images, and I can't seem to discern what the proper dress code is for ladies "of a certain age" in Latin.

I am in pretty good shape physically, and I love the Latin dresses, but I want to make sure that what I wear for competition does not get me noticed in a BAD way. :)

I have seen what I don't think I should be wearing, but would love some input (websites, dress companies) that cater to the Senior ladies, and I'd also like to know what ladies in the Latin division normally wear at the lower/entry levels of competition when just beginning. I am sure prancing in there for Bronze in a custom dress is not the norm.

I am going for sexy but classy if that is any help.

Thank you very much!
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I think a good rule is to show off your best feature and to be conservative everywhere else...I have seen women of a certain age with banging bodies, but it still seems a tad past their time to expose it...the great thing about a great bod is that you can tell that without showing it...personally, the day I hit 50, nothing shorter than mid thigh is going to be worn...and no measurable cleavage crack in front (2 1/2 years to live it up)....some of it is just about how skin ages, I will be opting for more coverage
    Miss Silly likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

first check the USA dance rules on costuming
    then look at senior vids on usa dance site on you tube that should help
    Miss Silly likes this.
  4. DianaJ

DianaJ New Member

Thank you. I like the idea of showing off the best feature and being conservative everywhere else. That seems like a good plan. I am 51, and when I hit the big five O, I weeded out the animal print in my closet and stopped shopping at The Cougar Store (Cache). ;)

Your comment "it still seems a tad past their time to expose it" is exactly how I feel. Without going into enough detail to horrify the younger set, I am with you on knowing all about how skin ages, lol.
  5. fascination

I think most women over 50 should look to beverly moore (dances pro/am with alain doucet) for a sense of classy elegant style
  6. DianaJ

DianaJ New Member

Thanks Mr 4 styles!

fascination, I did google, and she looks great!
  7. Mr 4 styles

totally agree she always looks great!
  8. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Definitely check out the rules. Bronzies here can't wear costumes (yes, it hurts my insides) if competing in Amateur (pro-am can, however).

One thing i always thing is great is nude mesh! LOL It's showing skin without showing skin. Locally there are seniors who have beautiful "backless" ballgowns that aren't actually backless but either nude mesh or stoned nude mesh and i think it's a great look. They still get that kind of classic look but it doesn't seem inappropriate at all. Just my opinion ;-P

Aside from that, erring on conservative always seems to work out better than going a little too scandalous (no matter what the age, really LOL). A costume that covers a lot of skin can still be incredibly beautiful when it's well fitted and designed to show your best features and enhance your curves appropriately. Sexy-classy is definitely achievable. Good luck!! That's very exciting you'll be diving into some comps! :)
  9. fascination

have to say that I disagree about nude mesh...I have never liked it for any reason on anyone
    stash, bia and Sania like this.
  10. fascination

it's like a toupee...some are good some are bad, all look fake
  11. Mr 4 styles

12. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

One of my favorite styles on girls :)
    Miss Silly likes this.
  13. Wannabee

Wannabee Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of nude mesh as well. IMO, it opens up a world of design possibilities without being inappropriate.
    danceronice and Miss Silly like this.
  14. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

I love the look of lace on a well maintained body, regardless of the age. You can be completely covered up but still sexy.

Also, I think older women with great legs can do a fringed skirt if the fringe is attached to a lining underneath, not just coming from the top of the bodysuit.

I was really conservative with my latin costumes at first (one of my very first dresses is out there on a used dress website right now and I laughed when I saw it the other day because it showed NOTHING), but I actually had more than one well-respected judge tell me that my conservative costume choices were a negative on the floor. I was counseled to show more leg, (but always with fishnets!!) and take a little more risk, choosing one area to highlight, for example, if you have a little lower cut in front, don't have your back and your legs hanging out.....And I am laughing about nude mesh conversation, because one of these coaches was a huge fan of this on older women!!!!

It's great fun and very helpful to go to a comp and try on a lot of dresses so you can get a feeling for what looks good and what makes you comfortable. Unfortunately, sometimes you will be told that a dress looks good on you when it really doesn't, so take along a very critical friend, and don't buy anything right on the spot the first time you try.
    Miss Silly likes this.
  15. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I think it only works if by "nude" you get the ACTUAL color of the dancer's TANNED skin. It can add some wonderful design options in that you can get the appearance of floating designs (particularly in stoning or lace appliques) that look like they are right on the skin. I don't like it so much as an overall choice, but I think it can work well as an element of a gown, provided it is in fact the same color as the skin. Otherwise it just looks like a baaad tan line.
  16. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

HAhahhaha like a toupe. I get what you're saying. I still like it though ;-P

That's a good point about bringing along a critical friend. I used to dance at a studio and they always complimented me and i'm pretty sure in hindsight some of my choices did not warrant uh, flattering compliments LOL. So anyway, keep in mind what you love to see on the floor on some dancers may or may not look good on you. I've certainly tried on a fair share of amazing costumes that looked horrid on me no matter how much i loved them. *sigh*. They just didn't love me back.
  17. Sania

Sania Active Member

I'm so with you on that! (although I know lots of people love it)

Black lace over nude fabric, however - a whole new ballgame
    stash and singndance like this.
  18. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

I like fleshtone net because you can't glue a couple gross of rhinestones to your skin (plus anything that's covered is one less place I have to put tanner, which I loathe.) And it's a way to look like there's skin without there actually being skin as fabric always looks nicer than bare. (And with black or white lace, used on a bodysuit fleshtone makes some things possible that would be outright illegal otherwise.)

Of course, I almost never have a problem with sweating and hate any dress, dance or otherwise, that doesn't have sleeves (I was forced to buy cardigans for all my summer dresses because no one makes decent sleeved dresses).
  19. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I do not like the idea at all that you should be required to bare yourself beyond what you are comfortable with to do well. Can you elaborate on what they meant by that?
  20. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Well, MP, I started dancing after the age of 50, and I was absolutely terrified that I would look ridiculous in a Latin costume. As my journey progressed, I lost a fair amount of weight, and was ready for a new costume because what I had was too big. I asked a visiting coach for her opinion on a few of the new sketches I received. She told me that I was progressing in my dancing and that my body was different from what it was when I first started, which was true. But I was still dressing on the floor like I was 30 pounds heavier. So she suggested that I lose some of the fabric draping and long skirts because I was too small now to carry all that off and stand out. She was gentle in her suggestions. But she did say, you have a nice figure now, don't drown it, you are getting lost in all that big stuff. It's a fine line after 50 though. I am in the best shape of my life, but I don't want to do the cut out thing, looks ridiculous. But I will go a little lower in the back, or in the front, or slit a longer skirt, that I would never have done when I first started.