"Age-appropriate" Latin dresses for Senior?

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by DianaJ, May 8, 2013.

1. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Depends whether you're talking NDCA or USA Dance. The latter permits Seniors to wear costumes in syllabus.
    Miss Silly likes this.
  2. Loki

Loki Active Member

Go with moderation and accenting a good feature. I could point you to WAY too many overly exposed people whose costumes or lack there of were just detracting.
  3. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

I agree with those who said that you might want to stray from dresses that are cut too low in the front or the back. I have seen many a senior competitor who is otherwise in great shape, have it all ruined by a backless dress. You (general you, not you, OP, in particular since we've never met) may be in great shape for your age, but a 20-something year old back does not look the same as a 50-something year old back, no matter how toned you are.

There is this one woman who dances Senior Standard and Rhythm (and maybe Latin too? I don't know) with her husband (I think) and she always makes the most incredible costume choices for her figure. Instead of dressing like a sexy 20 year old, she dresses like a sexy whatever her age is, and looks beautiful. I noticed that she tends towards dresses not cut lower than the bra line in back, often wears sleeves (nude or otherwise), and her skirts don't go above the middle of her thigh. I, for one, really love working colored mesh into a design... my pink dress in my avatar is actually quite revealing, but all the cut-outs are in pink mesh to match the dress, so I don't feel totally exposed and don't have to worry about my skin folding over or out of my dress in an unflattering way.

It is sad to me that there are so many poor costume choice being made by seniors in am-am and pro-am, because the ladies who dress for their age and bodies always look way more classy, elegant, and sexy than those who are wearing things even I wouldn't (and I am 25). It's like the reverse of junior and youth competitors dressing too grown up. There are styles that are appropriate for your age, personality, and body, and there are styles that aren't... and those change over time.

Here is a smooth costume worn by one of my coach's pro-am ladies that I always found to be super elegant, while still showing off her rocking body. I realize that you are asking about latin dresses, but I just thought of this one and decided to link it anyways because I think the style in general demonstrates well how a dress can be "age-appropriate" without looking frumpy or "grandma-ish."
    http://ryankennerphotography.zenfolio.com/p728019792/h5677c040#h5677c040
    http://ryankennerphotography.zenfolio.com/p728019792/h5677c8d4#h5677c8d4
    Miss Silly likes this.
  4. bia

bia Active Member

5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

6. DianaJ

DianaJ New Member

Gosh, thank you all SO much. You have all been so very welcoming and helpful. I know we are a bit from being ready for competition, but I like to be prepared.

I am kind of "Senior Barbie" shaped, and know that it would be easy to veer into a realm of poor taste pretty quickly.

My husband and I just quit showing horses after 25 years non-stop, so this is a whole new world for us.

I'm so nervous and excited. I danced (ballet) from the time I was 3 to in my 20's, and feel like I have re-discovered a lost love.

Many thanks!
  7. latingal

latingal Moderator Staff Member

Good luck to you DianaJ!

And p.s. - to me, each senior is going to be different depending on how their bodies have aged. I happen to be able to wear lower backed dresses and short skirts even though I am definitely more than qualified by senior standards. However, I simply will not bare my mid-drift...that is my concession to time. LOL!
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  8. singndance

singndance Well-Known Member

Welcome! It is a wonderful hobby at any age. Enjoy!!
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  9. Daphna

Daphna Active Member

If you look for more images of the couple shown in the 'moondancerentertainment' link above, you'll see them in both standard and latin costomes. She is alway classy and sexy at the same time, highlighting her best assests and totally hiding the worst. Plus she always looks sexy.
    NonieS likes this.
  10. NonieS

NonieS Well-Known Member

11. DianaJ

DianaJ New Member

I did look at all of the pics from that event. In addition to the lady pointed out who looks really great, I did also see a few of the things on others I specifically want to avoid. Being able to see different looks and dresses on women in my age group was a huge help. Thank you for that hint
  12. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Ahh. Good to know for when I go to the States.... when my partner finally decides to grow up and be a senior ;-P
  13. Mr 4 styles

:eek: so you are dancing with an older man....??:D
  14. Miss Silly

Miss Silly Active Member

Hahaha no it's the reverse---I"m a dance cougar :oops:
  15. Mr 4 styles

NICE!! good for you
    Miss Silly likes this.