All Time Greatest Salsa Hits - Your Picks?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DanceMentor, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Suaveson

Suaveson New Member

Nice Forum, Nice Topic, Nice People

Hi all, this is my first post on this site. Finally a site not filled with spammers and pests.

Looks like this topic has been up for a while.
    My choices for top ten are based on the way they make me and the people around me feel.

I think the music should have feeling, and just hit you and make you want to get up and dance.

These choices are based on real life experience with people(family & friends @parties.)

The songs I post seem to always make young and old (or both) salseros get up and dance

1. Fruko y sus Tesos - Charanga Campesina
    2. Ray Baretto - Fiesta en el barrio
    3. Joe Arroyo - Rebelion
    4. Puerto Rican Power - Cuando Faltas Tu
    5. Fruko y sus Tesos - Patulekos (I love the old stuff!) the new stuff is sometimes boring or aggravating! 8)
    5. Grupo Niche - Una Aventura
    6. La Sonora Carruseles - Vitamina
    7. Los Soneros del Barrio - Que se sepa
    8. Pete El Conde Rodriguez - El Rincon
    9. Wayne Gorbea - Salsa Picante
    10. Charlie Palmieri - Mambo Show 8)
  2. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

Wellcome Suaveson! :D
  3. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Welcome aboard suaveson... Like the name... A suave SON... ta ta ta, ta ta.... :D

The first time I heard salsa picante I stopped my car, took the CD out, and raced towards my Lady Love's car stopped at the traffic light so she could hear it too. I don't think the people behind us really appreciated what was going on. :D

My Fav by him must be Sabor Sabor... The last track on the Fiesta En El Bronx CD.
  4. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Yup! Salsa will make you do weird things, won't it? :lol: :lol:

Welcome Suaveson!
  5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forums Suaveson! :D
  6. Suaveson

Suaveson New Member

Thanks for the Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome! :D

Actually my username was given to me by people who saw me dance (first at the clubs, then my family started calling me that). I'm ok I guess but everyone says I move well for a big guy! (not fat kind of stocky from weightlifting.)

My family are a bunch of latin mutts and i'll tell you why...

I'm Mexican, my wife is from Nicaragua
    By marriage we have people in our family from
    Puerto Rico
    Cuba
    Dominican Republic
    Mexico

funny huh?
    It's actually cool because when we go out or party you really get to see the different styles of Dancing from
    Cumbia
    Salsa (My favorite) It's always Cuban Style vs Puerto Rican & Nyorican Style
    Merengue
    Bachata
    Ranchera

I have learned a lot from all of them and it's kind of made me a hybrid dancer (if there is such a thing) trying to combine them all.

Chow
  7. peachexploration

Here's another one. I didn't realize this one was even on this CD. I love it. It starts out as a bolero and then eases into sensual Salsa. Love it. :D

No Mas Mentiras by T.M.C.
  8. peachexploration

I heard this song this week and totally flipped. :bouncy: I love the haunting trombones in the music piece! The driving piano keeps you traveling through the salsa dance...........

Lluvia Con Nieve-Mon Rivera (Just Awesome!) :D
  9. pelao

pelao New Member

hmm, well, its too hard. there are just too many. but off the top of my head, these:

La Suprema Corte - Un Amante Como Yo

La Misma Gente - Tu y Yo

Bobby Valentin - Muñeco de la Ciudad & Amor a medio tiempo

Richie Ray & Bobby Cruz - Richie's Jala Jala & Sonido Bestial

El Gran Combo - Hojas Blancas & Lagrimas (and tons more)

Willie Colon - Calle Luna, Calle Sol

Hector Lavoe - Emborrachame de amor; Juanito Alimaña; Periodico de Ayer (loads more too)

Pete 'el conde' - Pueblo Latino, La Esencia Del Guaganco(alongside johny pacheco i think - dont recall)

Pete Rodriguez - Micaela

Sonora Ponceña - El Pio Pio; Fuego en el 23; Boranda

Los Niches - Que Nunca Me Falte; Si Supieras; & Ojos Negros

Grupo Niche - Buenaventura y Caney; Mi Valle del Cauca; Cielo de Tambores (and so many more; i dont know one colombian that doesnt like these guys - they showed to the world our style of salsa)

Alex Leon - Esa Mujer

Tony Vega - Ella es

Nacho Sanabria - Mambo Batiri & Sanson Batalla

La Inmensidad (Roberto Blades group - Ruben Blades' brother) - Lagrimas

Celina y Reutilio (i like their version the best; very old though) - San Lazaro (not really a salsa or whatever - its actually a 'guajira')

Roberto Roena - Estas Equivocado

Sergio Rivero - Llueve que Llueve & Caridad, Tu Son Hija de Ochun

Lebron Brothers - La Temperatura & Falta & Fe

Cheche Mendoza - Pensando En Ti

Rey Perez - Feliz Cumpleaños & Pal 23

Hansel Camacho - Verdades

Tito Gomez - A Colombia Entera

Tito Rojas - practically everything

Willie Gonzalez - mainly 'no podras escapar de mi', but so many more

Pedro Conga - Si Supieras; No te quites la ropa & lots more

Maelo Ruiz - Te necesito mi amor; Mi mundo es de ella; Nadie Igual tu & more

Ray Barreto - Watussi 65

Cuco Valoy - El Juicio & Juliana & Amor para mi more

Puerto Rican Power - No puedo prescindir de ti; Noche de boda; and too many more

Ismael Rivera - Sale El Sol; Que Te Pasa a Ti; De todas maneras rosas; Las Tumbas (this guy was too much, i love almost everything about him - he was like my idol - more even than el conde and hector lavoe and richie & bobby cruz)

Nelson y sus estrallas - El forastero

Luis Perico Ortiz - De Patitas; Dime que paso (very rare, i wish i could find it)

Dan Den - Gavetas

3-2 Get Funky - si ya no estas

Opus - Quieres Mas

Hector y tito feat. victor manuelle (never been a big fan of his, but this tune i like a lot) - ay amor

I think thats enough. There are so many more I could list. These types of questions are so difficult cause its really hard to really know what your favorites are.
  10. aragonh

aragonh New Member

3 more to add to list

I looked over the entire list and no one posted the following 3 awesome Salsa songs to dance 2:

Willie Colon - The Hustler
    Har-You Percussion Group - Welcome to the Party
    Fania All Stars - Descarga Fania
  11. Gregorio

Gregorio New Member

Top 3 Salsa Hits Segun yo

Even though its recent:

Polo Montanez - Monton de Estrellas

But the classics, that continue to live today in remix and in their original forms on the dance floors of where I DJ in Western Canada:

Joe Arroyo - No le pegue a la negra
    Los Titanes - Merecumbe
    Cachao - Lindo Yambu (This Song needs to be edited or started half way through)
  12. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

Finally got hold of la Palabra's latest album, Breakthrough. I love it!
    Ahe Ahe and Mi Nueva York are my favourites, and both are sung in Spanish. :wink:
  13. squirrel

squirrel New Member

yes, all the above songs are great...
    what about victor manuelle?! i don't remember having seen his name... "que habria sido de mi", 'volveras', 'voy a prometerme'... and many others...
    there's this song called 'quedate conmigo' by orquestra la sabrosura... which i love... it's very romantic...
    and fast salsa is cool too... sonora carusselles... orquestra de la luz... tito puente (which is actually mambo)... celia cruz...
    I think it would be easier if we just mentioned which songs we DO NOT like... the list would be shorter :)
  14. Paul F

Paul F New Member

Im going to drift off topic ever so slightly (apologies).

I just wanted to say that for someone who, up unitl about 2 months ago, had not heard any salsa music, I now find that this is all I listen too :D

Its fantastic. Im not even going to attempt to describe what it is about it but I just find it really addictive.
    Being able to dance to this music is one of the biggest drives for me to learn salsa.
    The fact that I dont understnad one word of the lyrics demonstrates how powerful the musical rhtyhm must be. I really want to learn Spanish? now (sorry if thats wrong) just so I know what the lyrics are saying !!!

To get the thread back on topic there is one song that I listen too quite a lot at the moment. Im not sure if it is because it has a relatively clear beat or because I just like it :) but its

Pedro Conga - Vicio

Great song - Great music - Love Salsa
  15. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

A budding salsero!!! WEPAAAAA!!!!!! Ahhhh, the mistery of salsa attracts yet another... :D :D :D :D :D Best to you in your quest to learning salsa...
  16. Paul F

Paul F New Member

Many thanks borikensalsero (couldnt think of a way to shorten your name as I dont know what it means and dont want to show disrespect) :)
  17. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Paul, you can pretty much call me anything you like. I am so used to being called just about anything. :D Pygmalion actually refers to me as BQN, you can use that if you like, or boriken, or bori.... The first part of my name stands for Puerto Rico's indian name; boriken. And the rest just a Salsero... :D :D
  18. wicked salsero

wicked salsero New Member

hello salsa maniacs...sorry but i cant read 7 pages of responses....:(

anyway

ok we all danced to this one.......anyone knows its title ?
    more importantly how can you style in this song...(repsectively to
    the song's beat) ?

thanx peachexploration
  19. peachexploration

Love it. It's Dame Cinco by Mambomania. Any of the LA stylistics would work. Big flashy movements and quick snappy steppin'. :D
  20. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Man, only an MP3 can sound that out of wack, well midis too... Sorry, I'm kind of a music listening snob and can usually tell when a song has been converted from format to format.

I never heard the song before... The vocalist sounds like he came out of a wayne gorbea school.... he just sounds so wayne gorbeaish. Catchy beat... Not my cup of tea mixes but the horns, with the few descragas can make me over look the things I don't like about the song.

To style or not to style, that isn’t as simple a question as it might seem...

The song has a "choppy" beat. I would play with my hands, head, and body a lot by pointing in different directions, slapping my butt, shaking it in circles in unison with the loud distinct beats of the 1,2,3s. Even move my upper body forward or backwards strongly little by little on each beat… I would also step along with each bongo hit, and the cowbells when they come to the forefront. During the synthesized beginning I would do my little bit of "tango", or a close embrace with a sway left to right, with little quick moves of the upper body during the faster parts. When the lyrics start, a bit of partner work nothing all that fancy, when the "rap" like beat go in the mix, I would slouch my body a lot more and bring it back “straight” as the music goes back into salsa mode. Then for the full “rap” section, I’d let go of my partner and do the groovy ghetto/reggae dances.

In the horn led sections I would do slower shines, nothing to intricate, enough to blend with the music but not over do it. I find the song to be so so bouncy, so I would bounce too. It’s hard for me to describe style as I don’t really style, but really flavor the music more than I care to follow the hand here, feet there style like mentality…