All Time Greatest Salsa Hits - Your Picks?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DanceMentor, Apr 11, 2003.

1. ccicchini

ccicchini New Member

Hi all,

I tend to go for the blood pumping type songs say:

Cachondea by Fruko Y Sus Tesos
    Bombon de Azucar by Charlie Cruz
    Queiro Salsa - by El Canario (I love all his songs but I have a special affinity for this one)

There are number of others whose names escape me, but it should give you an idea of what I like.

I'm also after the name and band of the song that Alex Da Silva and Liz Lira danced to in the preliminaries of the Mayan Salsa comp.

The lyrics were something to the effect of "seguimos cantando con la sonora contento". It was either that or something close to it.

I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me the name. Apologies if this is an inappropriate forum to post this request.

thanks
  2. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Hi ccicchini! Welcome to the DF! The name of the song is La Rumba Buena by Sonora Carruseles :D
  3. ccicchini

ccicchini New Member

PeachExploration, you are a champ!!!!
  4. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Welcome to df ccicchini!! :)
  5. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hi ccicchini... and welcome to the Forums! :D
  6. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Welcome to the forums ccicchini!!! Time to cyberdance! :banana:
  7. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Here you go TJ,
    If I had to choose a few songs that I had to declare Favorite amongst all favorites, I would have to choose those that have touched my soul, and they are:

Idilio by Willie Colon
    Huracan by Bobby Valentin
    Mi Desengaño by Roberto Roena
  8. mellody43

mellody43 New Member

There is a song that I LOVE -- I have never been able to find it anywhere other than on a CD a DJ burned for me. It sounds like the male singer is saying: "La rumba sabrosa.." at a few points but it drives me crazy. I need to ask the DJ what song it is! I *LOVE* it.

Melissa
  9. peachexploration

Gosh, it took me forever to find this one. Old School Orig Salsa Classics 1, Various Artist. One of my favorite CDs with the classics:

1. Atizame el Fogón - Willie Rosario
    2. Payaso - Andy Montanez
    3. Señor Sereno [Live] - Ismael Miranda
    4. Una Canita Al Aire - Orquesta La Solucion
    5. Como el Morivivi - Ralphie Leavitt
    6. Fuego a la Jicotea - Marvin Santiago
    7. Lobo Domesticado - Tommy Olivencia
    8. Tu Con El - Frankie Ruiz
    9. 25 Roses - Paquito Guzman
    10. Macho Perez - Hector Tricoche
    11. Maria Teresa y Danilo - Raul Alfonso
    12. Ran Kan Kan - Tito Puente
    13. Paella-Jose "El Canario" Alberto
    14. Llorarás [Live] - Oscar D'Leon
    15. Todo Tiene Su Final - Cheo Feliciano
  10. tj

tj New Member

Coolness! 8) Thanks!
  11. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Peach, girl you and have the same taste on music... I can't even believe that you know about Raphy Leavitt, he has some amazing songs! Ahhhh, I love listening to Herido, Jibaro Soy, Cafe Colao, Payaso, La Cuna Blanca, Mentira, Lamento Jibaro, Soldado... It's a shame, not even here in NY City his stuff is played. I actually gave a DJ a number of songs, amongst them Leavitt's Cafe Colao. I told him there was a need to really delve into salsa and Leavitt is a must stop on the way to further expanding the current DJ repertoire

BTW. I know Cheo sang "Todo Tiene Su Final" as a tribute to Lavoe, but Lavoe's original version of "Todo Tiene Su Final", I find it to be way nicer than Cheo's verison. Even whit Cheo’s amazing voice.

Andy Montañez's Milonga Para Una Niña is beautiful, along with Casi Te Envidio (I think that is the name).

I'm not all that into Heavy Mambo Jazz to dance, so I don't really like Tito's stuff. I enoy listening to though...

Did you know that Canita al aire is used in PR now to mean, you are cheating on your mate? The usage actually came about when the song came out. The song is about that very thing; cheating. Ever since when someone says that they are “echando una canita al aire”, you can safely assume they are doing something they shouldn’t be.
  12. peachexploration

Yeah, Boriken, the more I explore the music of Salsa, the more I find myself drawn to the classics as opposed to the new music. Artists like Leavitt, I'm just now discovering and you're right, it's just shameful that you don't hear them often if not at all. Not too diminish the new stuff (there is alot out there that I like) but I'm starting to find it too noisy. Meaning, there is so much going, they really forget about the music and produce whatever is market popular. Really funny too is what I thought was new salsa music to me is usually music that was introduced twenty or more years ago. That's what makes the music special, it's longevity. You can put in Feliciano, Colon, Lavoe and so many others and it would sound as if it was done yesterday.

I like Hector Lavoe's version of "Todo Tiene Su Final" better as well. I'm still working on building a collection of his music, especially the stuff with Fania Allstars and Willie Colon. "Alejate" & "La Murga"(Lavoe and Colon) are also favorites. Ruben Blades did a version of "La Murga" on his Encore CD and well...didn't like it. :D For the longest time, I didn't know who Andy Montanez was but I knew his voice. He is also on my wish list.

Yeah, you have to really be into Jazz in order to like Tito and Palmieri's stuff. Their music tends to be more conceptual alot of the time and can be hard to translate into dance. I spent an hour in the music store once just listening to Tito Puente and "Ran Kan Kan" was the only song I liked dancewise, after listening to about 10 of his CDs.

No, I didn't know that. :lol: I cheat with a translator on my computer so I always get the universal/proper translations. Very interesting how music influences our languages as well. I'm still learning/working on my spanish though but will keep that in mind when my PR friends have the goods on someone. :lol:

Oh, did you ever find that Oscar D' Leon CD (Llego...Actuo...Y Triunfo!) you were looking for?
  13. tj

tj New Member

Anyone got any suggestions on places to get clips of these songs? Amazon and Buy.com both stink when it comes to having any samples of salsa CD's.
  14. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I have left to waiting for one of my friends to visit his home country Colombia now in May. I asked him, if he could please find out if they have it over there. Hopefully since it is closer to venezuela they'll have it.

You mentioned something very true, in latin muisc, there is more enphasis on the songs being danceable than they are musical "quality". The song can be the best of musically built songs, but if it doesn't have what we call flavor, hence, not transferable to dance, they songs ends up sucking! No matter how well put together the song is.

The concept of sabor/flavor is very hard to explain. Each day I see my non-latino friends mistake flavor with patterns, and crazy advance movements/techniques. Yet, when latino friends see the same dancers, all they can say, is that they are technical but have no oomph, what is best described as sabor or flavor. And why many new comers to salsa mistake styling with having flavor. It doesn't matter how good the music is, what separates it from the rest is how much flavor it has, and why it is argued by salseros every where, that Puerto Rican salsa has always been the most flavor full. It might not be as technical as New Yorkican salsa but it is by far a lot more flavor full...

I wish i had more time to expand by my buddies are waiting to go to lunch... :cry:
  15. peachexploration

Yeah, I usually tend to divide my favorites into two concepts. Salsa for the soul (flavor) and Salsa for the brain (technical). Sometimes, these are interchangeable or are the same thing depending on which soul or brain is listening but for the most part the less technical the music/dance is, the more flavorable it becomes. Ironic, I'm listening to a favorite song by Eddie Palmieri now called "Lo Que Traigo es Sabroso", (What I Bring You Is Nothing If Not Tasty). Hence, the flavor. :lol: :lol:
  16. vey

vey New Member

Sorry I'm late to the thread...

Mellody, it might be "Quiero salsa" by Jose Alberto "El Canario"
  17. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Peach, you are too much... It's awesome to hear that you are getting deeper and deeper into this world of salsa. Which by the way, for the first time in 4 years, I was in a totally down note. I felt out of sink, out of time, out of being there, I just felt like the world was crowding me and it affected my dancing. Thank God for a few good songs, otherwise, I'd be dying right now. Anyhow, here is the the meaning behind the context of "Lo Que Traigo es Sabroso", what I bring is flavorful, now that really goes well with you assessment of Flava. :D :D.

Sabroso in that sence is meant as flavor, to which tasty alludes to
  18. peachexploration

LOL. :lol: Boriken, that sounds much better. :D Now that I've read it again, let me clarify Palmier's title just in case someone reading this is like what the?!?....:shock: . The actual title is Lo Que Traigo es Sabroso", (What I Bring You Is Nothing If Not Tasty) but this is noted in the CD jacket: "The title helps underline what mambo men and women are trying to do. They are honey-gatherers. They work under the sign of the goddess of love, Ochun. Get out your mirror and make yourself smart. Then dance to Palmieri. As in the dance of the bees in the hive. the intensity of your motion will tell all the world where the sweetness is hidden, its level of quality, and how you can share it". :D
  19. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

God, You just brought something to mind, Ochun as we know is a santeria orisha... Salsa always sang with santeria in mind until...... The song "Todo Poderoso" by Hector Lavoe and Willie Colon. That song marks the first time that Christianity finds its way into salsa. Todo Poderoso means, All Mighty. I forget when it was released, something tells me '76, I hope that is the right year.
  20. peachexploration

Wow, that is awesome Boriken, I never knew that. I'm looking for lyrics now to his songs, bios, etc. Hopefully, I can find a good compilation CD of his songs to start with. Any recommendations? Although, it probably wouldn't matter. That's the kind of Salsa that I like..... :D