All Time Greatest Salsa Hits - Your Picks?

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by DanceMentor, Apr 11, 2003.

1. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

For Hector Lavoe, perhaps you should start with the compilation of his work. 15 Exitos: El Cantante De Los Cantantes. It has a green cover with a pic of his face with his right hand on his right cheek. However, if you don't mind spending a lill money, I would suggest to get both Vols. Of Hector Lavoe: The Fania "Legends of Salsa". There are 2 vols and for around $50 or $60 bucks you'll have Salsa's most bestest singer's most bestest stuff. :D

Then, get anything you can from him, as well as Wille Colon. :D :D :D
  2. looyenyeo

looyenyeo New Member

LaVoe La Voz

I have to agree with Boriken, I found the "legends of salsa" collection very worthwhile in terms of music and the additional materials (which were a nice surprise).

One classic favourite of mine is "El Nazareno" by Ismael Rivera in Traigo de Todo (1974).

Two others (non-classics) that I find myself going back to are "San Francisco Tiene Su Propio Son" by Ritmo Y Candela, and "Vacilar" by Orquesta Gitano.

Loo
  3. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

You know Boriken, this song was the main reason I bought the Salsa Fresca CD -- Idilio doesn't get played around here, and I wanted to listen to it because you said you loved it. :wink:

Having said that, my favourite from the CD has turned out to be No Me Acostumbro by Rey Luiz.
  4. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

:kissme: Ahhhh, the memories of idilio... What did you think of it? I don't know, no me acostumbro... :(
  5. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I'm listening to Hachero Pa' Un Palo by La Sonora Ponceña, ahhhhh, me wanna dance!
  6. MacMoto

MacMoto Active Member

It's beautiful, Boriken. I haven't had a chance to dance to it though -- I think I'll ask DJs next weekend if any of them have it and can play it for me.
  7. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

I've got the goose bumps all over my body, I'm somewhere between here and there, anyhow, since I'm feeling this good, I'll share the names of the songs I've been listening to since I came in at 9AM this morning. :D

They are all from Los Flamboyan

La Cuna Del Son
    Presidente Dante
    Vive La Vida Hoy
    Se Acabo La Guerra
    Yo Te Seguire
    Dame Un Tipi
    Porque Tu LLoras
    My Daddy's Farm
    Sabroson
    Los Rumberos
    Ahora Si
    El Quinto De Beethoven
    Maraquero
    Yo No Tengo Amigo
    Camarones
    Por Que Adore
    Que Se Sepa
    El Pipon
    Son Retozon
    Bomba Criolla
    Mumbo Jumbo
    Fruta Criolla
    Precioso Montuno
    Maria Cervantes
    Coquetona
    Mai Pa Mi Gallo
    Bomba De Panama
    Chupa
    Mi Nena
    Guarare
    Carnivales En Bogota
    Fujitiva
  8. El Cano

El Cano New Member

Hello Salseros.. I was surfing the net to find a copy of Mangual's "Cuero Na' Ma" and happen to find this site. I think this is an awesome thing going on. I was so interested I read all 9 pages of replies...LOL I agree with the earlier comment about salsa being a lot of noise now and days. The older the salsa the better the quality and style. Nothing beats a good tumbao de bajo and a rich montuno along with a great trombone and trumpet mambo coming back to great coro and soneo... NOTHING BEATS THAT. Examples that I can come up with are:

Ismael Rivera- Milongo Mandinga
    Gran Combo- Ponme el Alcolado Juana, Desenfunda (x-mas tune)
    Tommy Olivencia (I think, Please correct me if I'm wrong)- Trucutu- Live version
    Orq. Guayacan- Torero
    Niche- Etnia, La Danza de la Chancaca
    Frankie Ruiz- La Cura
    Hector Lavoe- Mi Gente
    Tito Rojas- El hablar de Mi
    Oscar D'Leon- Me voy a Cali
    Adalberto Santiago- Adoracion

That's just a few out the top of my head. The new salsa market now is all about mass production and little to no quality music. Everyone is making a cross over from Hip hop and R+B to salsa and it's totally killing the sound and flavor. What happened to the afinque y sabor??? No more soneros like Lavoe or El combo, or any of those greats.. Miranda, Adalberto, the whole Fania.. I just hope things make a turn and we go back to Salseros that actually speak spanish and not have to learn to speak it to try to make a CD worth selling. Nothing against anyone that wants to learn the beautiful Spanish language. Only thing I'm saying is that an artist in the Salsa genre should be able to fluently speak the language in order to make a salsa CD or get into the salsa market. That's my opinion and I've always been a little on my own in my opinions but there is a great difference in soneo/improv and sabor/flavor when the sonero/singer knows and really understands the Spanish language opposed to one that had to learn the language in order to make sense. Any opinions on that, or I'm I alone in this too....?? LOL...
  9. SDsalsaguy

SDsalsaguy Administrator Staff Member

Hi El Cano, and welcome to the Dance Forums... happy to have you with us! :D
  10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

welcome to df el cano

Always great to have another sala lover onboard. :D
  11. El Cano

El Cano New Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
  12. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Wepa, el Cano!!!!! Any chance, you're last name is Estremera? hehe

Well, welcome to our virtual world Cano. Hope you have a great time here with us. :D :D
  13. El Cano

El Cano New Member

I can only wish... LOL..

Has anyone heard the new Eddie Santiago CD and what do you think of it?
  14. Anthony Ruiz

Anthony Ruiz New Member

Salsa Greats

Hey everyone. I was reading through this post and there is a radio station on the internet that plays a lot of the music you guys are talking about. I've been listening for the past week and I love it. Check it out http://www.100-percentsalsa.com

Here are some of my favorites

Bobby Valentin - Ven Rumbero
    Jose Bello - Indiferencia

Tons of Johnny Rivera and Ray Sepulveda

And of course..the greatest old school Sonero of all time

Ismael Rivera - Traigo Salsa, Mi Negrita Me Espera, Si Te Collo and much more

Wepa !
  15. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Welcome welcome Anthony Ruiz!!! WEPA... Otro Salsero!!! :D :D
  16. MapleLeaf Salsero

MapleLeaf Salsero New Member

Hi everyone! I´ve been away. :( Wow, only 100 000 posts to catch up on... :shock: Missed all my DF friends a lot! It´s great to be back! :) :) :)

Boriken, I´m listening to Idilio as I´m writing this post. It´s the Willie Colon & Andy Montanez version. I love this song!! I have the mp3 for almost 2 years now. I´ve never danced to it though. The DJ´s here don´t play it too often. :(

Regarding "No me acostombro" by Rey Ruiz, this song holds a special place in my heart. It´s one of the few songs I´ve reached nervana with.
  17. MapleLeaf Salsero

I almost forget! Wellcome El cano and Anthony Ruiz! :)

Anthony, any relation to Frankie or Rey Ruiz???
  18. borikensalsero

borikensalsero Moderator

Great to have you back MapleLeaf!!!!! :D :D

BTW, I didn't know willie had a version with Andy Montañez, WOW... I knew of the original with Cuco Peña, but that was it... wepaaaaa
  19. peachexploration

peachexploration New Member

Great to see you back as well, Mapleleaf! We missed 'ya!
  20. MapleLeaf Salsero

Boriken and Peach, thanks for the great wellcome!!!!!! It´s nice to be back amongst friends! :D :D

Peach have you learnt LA style yet? When is our next dance going to be? I prefer a slow salsa if that´s OK with you.

Boriken, I think Idilio is one of those "TMYHITMYLI" songs. Translated to English means, "The more you hear it, the more you like it". It´s like fine wine...