All Time Greatest Swing Hits

Discussion in 'Swing Discussion Boards' started by DanceMentor, May 16, 2004.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Because our All Time Greatest Salsa Hits thread has been such a success (and a great resource), I thought it would be nice to start a thread about the All Time Greatest Swing Hits. Please don't list albums...list the title and the artist, like this:

Are you Hep to the Jive? - Cab Calloway
    Splanky - Count Basie

(I used italics for the title and bold for the artist)

So...what are your picks?
  2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Since I have to listen to swing as I foolishly volunteered to do a jump swing choreography!! :oops:

Zoot Suit Riot -- Cherry Poppin' Daddies

More as I traverse my swing collection.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Ever listen to any Louis Jordan? (pronounced Louie, not Lewis) Classic stuff, mostly swing, some blues. Late forties- early fifties era. Good stuff. There have been some remakes a a few classics, like "Caledonia!," one of my faves. The original version is a fast WCS or moderate ECS. The remake I've heard was a jive! A good, swinging song either way. :wink: 8)
  4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, and there's quite a bit of Manhattan Transfer that works. I'll have to check some of my CD's. 8)

Ooh! Ray's Rockhouse for WCS. Excellent.
  5. Flat Shoes

Flat Shoes New Member

Oh man! There's so many great songs!

The ultimate house rocker is of course Louis Primas sing sing singb, but of course as performerd by Benny Goodman with Gene Krupa on drums. That's not really very original, so keeping with Benny Goodman I love All The Cats Join In. One really great swinging song is Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives to Me as performed by Mr. Vibrato Sidney Bechet on the album 'The Fabolous Sydney Bechet', and probably elseweher too. Ella Fitzgerald is a great singer, one of my favs are the Cole Porter song Too Darn Hot. Two other golden oldies are from the Disney cartoon The Jungle Book. I'm of course talking about The Bare Necessities (my avatar loves that one) and I Wanna Be Like You. There's also a lot of slow songs that are great. Artie Shaws performance of Begin the Beguine is wonderful. A couple of classic songs that exists in many great variations on are Black and Blue and All of Me. Just for the sake of, let me mention one neo-swing song, the one used in The Mask, Hey Pachuco! with Royal Crown Revue. Since mentioning movies, the film music to Chicago has a great song. Not the best song for social dancing, but way cool. First there's a fast part, maybe possible for Balboa. Then a slow cool relaxing part. And it ends with a really fast swinging part. I'm talking about Roxie's Suite. Let me end really with something really untradional, it's not swing but it's a lot of feelings that can make you do things on the dancefloor you'll regret afterwards. No, I'm not talking about a certain pop song called 'Murder on the Dancefloor', what I am talking about is a bit more potent, Nick Cave and Red Right Hand. Try it!
  6. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Well, many of the tunes you all are listing are also great quicksteps. Of course, many of my favorite WCS songs are also great cha chas.

I definitely like "Whatdayawant" (Casey McGill and the Spirits of Rhythm), found on Got Swing compilation.
  7. JohnK

JohnK New Member

Check out the "It Might As Well Be Swing" album by Sinatra / Basie. Lush orchestrations, Sinatra's incomparable phrasing. Pretty strict tempo too.
  8. etchuck

etchuck New Member

Thanks for the tip... as if I had money to check them all out. ;)

I also like for lindy "The Business of Love", found on the soundtrack to "The Mask."
  9. suek

suek New Member

my recently chosen theme song tops my list:
    Sweet Sue (I have the definitive collection: 34 versions) very fond of Benny Goodman, Django Reinhardt, Artie Shaw and Fats Waller versions

a sampling (and I mean sampling--there are so many!) of essential greats (IMHO) (by artist):
    Count Basie
    One O'Clock Jump
    Topsy
    Jumpin' at the Woodside (fast fast fast)
    9:20 Special
    Shiny Stockings (Frankie Manning's theme song)
    Splanky
    Every Day I Have the Blues (with Joe Williams)
    The Honeydripper (with Joe Turner) (slow blues)
    Since I Fell for You (w/Joe Turner) (slow blues)

Duke Ellington
    Lavender Coffin
    Bli-Blip (w/Ray Nance)
    Take the A Train
    Blues in Hoss' Flat
    Ain't Misbehavin'

Louis Armstrong
    Frim Fram Sauce
    Keepin' Out of Mischief Now
    Drop Me Off at Harlem
    Duke's Place

Ruth Brown
    Fine Brown Frame
    Wild Wild Young Men

Lou Rawls
    Fine Brown Frame
    Summertime (mmmm slow yummy)
    Little Red Top

Dawn Hampton
    Frim Fram Sauce

Bill Elliott
    T'aint What You Do
    Streamliner
    Jeep Jockey Jump
    Mildred Won't You Behave

George Gee
    Basie Boogie
    Let the Good Times Roll
    The Continental

Ella
    Perdido
    Nice Work If You Can Get It
    Hard Hearted Hannah
    Goody Goody
    Cheek to Cheek
    Bli-Blip

Billie Holliday
    Cheek to Cheek
    He Ain't Got Rhythm
    On the Sunny Side of the Street
    Let's Call the Whole Thing Off
    They Can't Take That Away From Me
    Stormy Blues (slow)
    Summertime (slow)

Barbara Morrison
    It Don't Mean a Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing
    Going to Chicago
    Hit the Road Jack

Artie Shaw
    Special Delivery Stomp
    Summertime (slow)
    St Louis Blues

Benny Goodman
    Moten Swing
    Avalon (fast)
    Bei Mir Bist du Schoen
    Jersey Bounce
    Clarinetitis
    One O'Clock Jump
    King Porter Stomp
    Air Mail Special
    It's Tight Like That

Cab Calloway
    Who's Yehoodi?
    Are You All Reet?

Fats Waller
    The Joint Is Jumpin'
    Honeysuckle Rose
    It's a Sin to Tell a Lie
    Your Feet's Too Big
    I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter

Fletcher Henderson
    Teapot Dome Blues
    The Shiek of Araby
    Christopher Columbus

Slim and Slam
    Flat Foot Floogee
    Oh, Lady Be Good

Some different tempos, all swing.

I'm sure I'll get slammed for what I forgot, for what I included. Hey, it's what I like to dance to and listen to.

Okay this is the third edit and I'm gonna stop now. With these artists it's hard to go wrong.
  10. d nice

d nice New Member

I thought we were doing Swing music not rock/ska.
  11. Bob

Bob New Member

Ella and Louis, - Stomping at the savoy
    Stray cats - Rock this town
    Andrew Sisters - boogie woogie bugle boy
    Diana Krall - Frim fram sauce
    Everybody who ever played swing - is you is, or is you ain't my baby
  12. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

No accounting for tastes, huh? I actually learnt jump swing to that in a Cornell PE class.
  13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

One of the songs I originally I learned swing dance (single time swing) to was "Zoot Suit Riot". It's a cute song. 8)
  14. etchuck

etchuck New Member

That's interesting... I play "Zoot Suit Riot" and have heard it played more often in the ballroom world as a quickstep. Ditto "Rock This Town" by the Stray Cats.

Of course, I've danced both Q and single-step ECS to those songs. (Not at the same time, silly...)
  15. LindyKeya

LindyKeya Member

Really? I am not familiar with a Duke Ellington version of this song (and my husband has A LOT of Duke Ellington), although I am familiar with the Lionel Hampton one (which I adore). Any idea where I can find it?
  16. suek

suek New Member

Oooops my mistake...it's Hampton. If I goofed anything else up just flame me. Live and learn.
  17. Genesius Redux

Genesius Redux New Member

Speaking of Lionel Hampton--"Four Brothers."

And am I the only one who never wants to hear "Jump, Jive, and Wail" again? Talk about great tunes that have been overplayed!
  18. Dancegal

Dancegal Member

Count Basie - Corner Pocket, Shiny Stockings
    Jimmy Lunceford - T'Aint What You Do (It's the Way that You Do It)
    Duke Ellington - Let's Get Together
    Barbara Morrison - I Love Being Here With You
    Barbara Morrison - Never Make Your Move Too Soon