Allright then, ganchos....

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by Madahlia, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Holy thread resurrection Batman...

Spookily enough, I was just planning to give ganchos another go at a workshop on Sunday, and I was working through the notes as linked-to from the OP.

Ganchos are like any other movement in AT. If you can't lead / follow it correctly as an improvised and natural movement, then don't do it.

Simples, as I believe the kids are saying at the moment.
  2. LoveTango

LoveTango Member

Well, it's a good thing that I dug up the old thread. ;) I was feeling embarrassed about it.
  3. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

What - is that how you learnt ceroc is it? :p

I rarely find a time when a gancho really "fits" traditional music. For me they tend to come out when I'm in "play" mode. So I wouldnt say the movement is particularly "natural" .. it's more of a deliberate tease, if anything :D
  4. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

Hell no, I spent 2 years writing moves down in a book and thought I was learning things. Like a lot of Ceroc leaders, actually.

Agree.

To me, ganchos are in that class of Stuff Which Doesn't Work To Traditional Music. That class includes most of the "ada" moves (Volcadas, Soltadas, etc.), and other forms of wraps.

They work fine for nuevo, however.
  5. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

There are a few 'wraps' that I find quite natural in traditional. Yet, for the most part, I agree.

Oh, and, welcome to the DF, LT.
  6. pascal

pascal Member

Cafe Dominguez, cataniche, el puntazo...
  7. Dave Bailey

Dave Bailey New Member

In the event, time did not allow. I somehow managed to contain my disappointment. :D
  8. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

You have to blame Pablo Veron and the Tango Lesson, and maybe Strictly to some extent..and enthusiasm often outwieghs skill and musicality in beginners improvers....

(mind you ( to the sounds of the Hovis Ad) when i were a lad a could get the flick of a ladies foot in the gancho to the accented beat of Pugliese's la Yumba 99 times out of a hundred)
  9. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

mmh, and what about "El flete" D'Arienzo?
  10. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

Just because music is "spiky" doesnt mean that you should put in a gancho.. :artsy:
  11. opendoor

never put in a gancho, always the women do....

(by the way, ganchos and picas do not belong to my repertoir, perhaps also a question of style?)
  12. Captain Jep

Captain Jep New Member

me neither ... maybe it's just that we're so smooooothhhh ...;)

ps if a woman puts in a gancho, make her do a second one - hehe
  13. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

How can a woman "put in" a gancho? If the leader's leg isn't there, it isn't there. If it's there in the way of her movement, she ganchos.

Never mind, I know the answer...

I guess some of you are dancing with followers who don't understand the mechanics of ganchos and are seeking out your leg to hook it. I can understand how that happens. There are quite a few leaders who don't understand the mechanics either and feel they have "led" a gancho while expecting the follower to find his leg and get hers around it.

So sometimes followers get accustomed to doing the whole thing without any "help" (ie: lead) If they knew what's supposed to make the gancho happen, they'd just stand there (like I do) when the gancho is expected but not led.

(then as a result, they wouldn't be putting them in when you DON"T lead them)
  14. opendoor

.. but we should admit, that there are some kind of ganchos which are led more than others, as f.i. the coiled (?better twisted?) ones as shown at 0:15 . It looks choreographed, but it is 100% leadable. (By the way, it´s still one of my favorite neo songs: Pedro Aznar´s "Lo Hermoso Que Fue". PM me if you want a copy.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVxhoZkaMTA
  15. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I can't think of any that AREN'T led. A gancho is a natural result of movement initiated by the leader. I was told as a follower: You don't DO a gancho... a gancho HAPPENS.

The problem is that many followers try to "DO" ganchos instead of just letting them happen.

I also make a distinction between a "hook" and a "wrap", although the wrap typically stems from a leader initiated movement as well.
  16. Angel HI

Angel HI Active Member

^ Good post, Zoops.
  17. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

I want to dance with you, Zoops....
  18. opendoor

Hi Zoopsia, you are right concerning the ordinary ganchos. I was talking about these supercoiled ones. They work differently. Watch the example. Perhaps you would not call this neo stuff a gancho at all ? :p
  19. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

As someone who only (occasionally) does the "leg wrap" style ganchos, how many different types are there (or maybe how are they grouped or classified)?

I guess I just haven't studied them enough to know what the various varieties are.
  20. opendoor

no idea, but in a trice:

moved ones
    static ones

to the front
    backwards

left leg
    right one

colgadized
    not colgadized

leg flying