Alternative AT music

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangonuevo, Apr 19, 2010.

1. tangonuevo

tangonuevo New Member

So here goes - I am looking for good danceable alternative tango that I can DJ with, but ALSO that I personally can dance to. What's the problem? Well, my issues with finding Alt music are.
    1. Electronica - Some I like. Much has a club/disco beat and doesn't feel to me that it has the musical complexity I associate with tango (the dance). And much of the rest makes me want to step on every beat. Like milonga but more insistent.
    2. "Neo-Tango" - Caceres, Johansen, Milengo: Better. Some feels like tango, but some feels a little hokey.
    3. NonTango - The big problem. I dance Tango at least 2 hours a week to live non-tango music - jazz, blues and Rock and Roll, so I clearly am not a purist and there is a lot I like. However, I find that much of the accepted non-tango cannon puts me to sleep. Cirque de Soleil is sleepy, Leonard Cohen is sleepy, etc. At some level it is the arrangements. At another, it is the tempos. Count the BPM for tango music. Canaro's 1934 version of Charamusca is as slow as you will find. OTOH, it is on the upper end of tempos for a lot of the non-tango music that gets played.

OK. Enough whining. Recommendations please!! Especially recommendations that stay out of my "issues". And ALL constructive discussion is welcome.

And please take the "And who would want to dance to that cr%p anyway" post to L-ognat. Please.

Thanks.

TN

2. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

In case you have not seen this before http://www.plastictango.com/ has a nice collection of "tangoable" music. They stopped updating a few years back, but it is still my favourite collection.

At least a few of them should be ok - the "cumbiera intelectual" is one of my favourites - though it is musically a bit predictable -but it is just so sweet and tongue in cheek.
    And i just noticed that carla bruni has a fairly danceable piece - anybody up to dancing to the french first lady? :)

Gssh

3. Subliminal

Subliminal Well-Known Member

Have you looked at Sharna's page?

http://neotango.com/neotangos.html

Lemme see what's in my alt list. Ruling out electronica makes it hard. Hmm. I'll get back to this later.

4. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

5. Ampster

Ampster Active Member

Alternative and nuevo are not my preference. However...

Think out of the box. It doesn't have to be electronic, neo, nuevo tango music at all. If you're doing alternative, as long as it AT danceable, it'll work.It will be how well you choose and put these things together that will make or break you.

For example, here's a flamenco number that I've danced to before--> "Milonguea de ayer"

6. Subliminal

A lot of my stuff I got from the other threads. Here's a band I don't think other people have mentioned. Stoa. Kind of a gothic airy feel, could work with tango.

Here's a sample:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7ZuYEILcLA

7. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

Very nice!

8. Subliminal

Thanks. hehe. The pictures with that youtube video are a little over-the-top, but that was the video with the best sound quality I could find. :D

9. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

To Subliminal...

I bookmarked this one. Thank you, Subliminal...

10. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Hi TN, try one of these many music chanels like this one http://www.laut.fm/standalone.php?station=tangomatrix . Let it run in the background. Once you come across an interesting piece you can take a look at the whole CD.

Interesting, would not call that "Neo" : Caceres and Johansen cross argentine folk and world music. And Melingo is traditional (not old) tango at it´s best, isn´t it?

11. bastet

bastet Active Member

like!

12. bastet

bastet Active Member

A couple of years ago a lady named Candan Ercetin (Turkish, I think) had several songs that were popular to dance to.

And also Carla Bruni.

I think Ampster is right that it's ok to think 'out of the box" a little. One thing I like to do is "try" a new piece (like Jason Mraz's "I'm Yours") as a cortina if it is alternative tango and see if people look like they want to get up and dance...then I feel it's safe to introduce it in to a tanda of alternative the next time.

13. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

Jason Mraz "I'm yours" is regular on alternative tanda
    Bebe "Siempre me quedara" also

Dido - Who makes you feel
    Alison Kraus and Robert Plant- Sister Rosetta goes before us
    Diana Krall - Temptation

14. Me

Me New Member

This is a good thread for me - I have an immediate need for the Non-tango music that is tango-able. What I am looking for is more along the lines of suggestions of popular music to dance to. Music heard in clubs, on the radio, etc. Something new students in my area can relate to more easily. Their faces always light up when a song comes on that they recognize. The vintage music where people are not singing in English is intriguing to some, but quite alienating to others. So, I like to mix it up.

15. bastet

bastet Active Member

true enough- but when I first wanted to play it a year or so ago, this was how we introduced it to our local community to see how the people reacted to it.

My suggestion was more of a "how to introduce unfamiliar songs suggestion" than a suggestion about that particular (now common) song.

16. caityrosey

caityrosey New Member

Also, movie music. For some reason Hans Zimmer likes to write tangos.

17. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

18. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

Is there a CD / Song you would recommend? I've heard a little of his music (very nice, BTW) but it wasn't suitable for tango.

19. gregolam

gregolam Member

Not sure what category this would be under, but I have heard a Tanghetto cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy the Silence often played at some practicas.

Also, I hope somebody doesn't shoot me for this as I know these are in no way tango songs, but when I hear them I feel like they could be possibilities:

Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros - Mondo Bongo
    Kevin Johannsen - Sur o no sur
    Diegos Umbrella - Kung fu fondu
    Mark Lemhouse - Jealous Moon

20. bastet

bastet Active Member

We use Kevin Johannsen Sur o no Sur and Tangomana from time to time. Both make fun dances.