Alternative AT music

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by tangonuevo, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I find that alternative and electronic stuff "wears out" for me just as much as traditional tango music...as does every other type of music I listen to. For me, it's because I don't have much sense of balance or restraint, so when I find something new that I like I will often listen to it in repeat for hours on end, for days (if not weeks). After a while I get it out if my system and I have to take a break from it for a while...but then over time I find myself enjoying it again, this time in moderation. The type has little to do with it.

2. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

Knockin by Carolina Chocolate Drops; is so deliciously full of musical changes that its wonderful to dance to. There's afew tracks by Rene Aubry...oh and loads of others; any track can get boring if over-played.
    But getting Video Games in a tanda with Isla de Capri is what I'm aiming for, then Red Right Hand..;)

3. bordertangoman

I wonder if that's old age creeping on or just having access to so much music. I used to play my albums endlessly; had a recent reverie of Yes Albums and knew ever twist of the music..

4. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

Nor do they have electric guitars or drums. Horray!

5. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

This is a nice song and it could go under alternative AT:

6. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I tried it last night in this tanda (below). I did edit out the first 7 seconds or so from the intro of the Russian Waltz. It seemed to be liked by people. While no one commented specifically about that song, I received lots of compliments about the music in general, and a couple about how much they liked the vals, (without mentioning any songs in particular). I'm considering it a success, so I'll likely play it again next weekend when I DJ up in NH.

Intakto - La Partida

Stephane Wrembel - Bistro Fada

Francis Goya - Russian Waltz

7. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not feeling it.

8. bordertangoman

I like the first two but not the third; how about String Go Tango's Rosas de otono?

9. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I like it from before, and I found it on sharna's list.
    Listened carefully and found that it could be danced to.

Trip hop could easily go under alternative AT.
    It has low beat rate and intricate music composition.
    When I find time I will listen to some compilations I found interesting and post songs. :D

10. bordertangoman

but not Gotye..pleeease... I hate it.

11. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

There's no doubt that one could dance to it. The question typically is more like, does it make you want to tango to it.

12. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I would definitely dance to Dido's song. ;)
    Song is interestingly structured and I would love to.
    I believe I will be able to playing on some practicas or local milonga but I would never play alternative AT on any marathon or festival milonga.

But thing is am not into alternative tango music.
    I will survive dancing to it, but I am not keen on dancing.

13. newbie

newbie Active Member

One day I'll include "The price of freedom" in a playlist for the friday practica, with a part of "One-winged angel" as a cortina.

Noli manere, manare in memoria.
    Noli manere, manare in memoria.
    Sephiroth, Sephiroth.

14. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

Ever since the string cover of "nothing else matters" has started showing up as alternative tango a few years back (and surprisingly few people knew it was a cover) i have been thinking about having a complete metal tanda - not just the original metallica version of "nothing else matters", but i think some of the more symphonic/slow pieces of other bands like cathedrals "equilibrium" might actually work. But i have no idea what tandas one would put before or after that tanda...

Gssh

15. bordertangoman

there is a nice orchestral version of Stairway to Heaven

maybe follow it with a milonga tanda..

16. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

The band doesn´t exist any longer. So if any of you want a copy of that mp3 file, feel free to pm me.

17. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

Suggestions:

bordertangoman likes this.
  18. bordertangoman

they were meant to be played concurrently wernt they; ;) need a double deck bit of software....:D

both nice mellow tracks

19. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I like mellow alternative tracks ;)

This is actually el choclo but it can go under alternative AT :D

20. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

This is also quite good alternative track:

I would play it along Bebe - Siempre me quedara